Lost *spoilers*

Yeah, I think African American is crap too. Most black people in America have never been to Africa, have no concept of African culture and the only aspect about them that is African is their skin colour. Which, in America, is a big deal.

Irish-American's are white, and not Irish. And still can't tell the right accent.
So pogue mahone "Irish" :)

Has anybody else read the so-called "Genetic Mirror Theory" devised by alleged real-life anthropologist Marseille Rousseau that seems to convincingly provide an over-arching explanation of the plot, and recurring numbers motif, on Lost?

If you really want the gory details of the theory, and how it connects to the show, just check out the link yourself.

But for what it's worth, the whole explanation seems a little too convenient to be real. For starters, it's damn near impossible to find a legitimate resource about this 'theory' anywhere -- no Wikipedia entry, no listing at Amazon. (Perhaps the book is out of print, because the science has been thoroughly debunked.)

In any case, even if the speculation about 'genetic mirrors' doesn't hold true in nature/real life, the book's theories -- if it was ever published, in the first place -- *may* provide the intended explanation for the series. Hmmm...

Your thoughts, folks?

I've heard about it, what's also interesting is that Rousseau's ideas make a nice parallel to the philosopher John Locke.

Quote I found on the net, "Locke wants each of us to use reason to search after truth rather than simply accept the opinion of authorities or be subject to superstition". Where the fictional John Locke is described as a man of faith, he is still always searching for a 'truth'. And belief that a 'truth' does exist is an act of faith.

So, as the numbers (which I had not seen before) are an explanation of sorts to the symmetry of man, then Locke is the factor that would disprove it.

Guijllons said:
Yeah, I think African American is crap too. Most black people in America have never been to Africa, have no concept of African culture and the only aspect about them that is African is their skin colour. Which, in America, is a big deal.

Irish-American's are white, and not Irish. And still can't tell the right accent.
So pogue mahone "Irish" :)

Right back at ya you weird Brit. In regards to your African-American comments, I have some semblance of Irish culture (however sad it may be), have visited there on a pretty regular basis, have close family still living there, and am only first generation born here (both parents from Ireland). It isn't as if I'm desperately and futily trying to hold onto a culture or lineage I have no right to. For such an intelligent guy, you sure are quick to judge. So do me a favor and get off your high horse, "Guijllons". And let me ask you something, were I to take a person from the Midwest of America, a person from the Northeast, and a person from the West coast, I seriously doubt you'd be able to match their accents with the region, as you don't live here and probably have little actual experience with Americans and their respective accents. If I were to do the same with the different regions of Canada, bet neither I nor you would guess correctly. The same applies for me in regards to Britain, Ireland, and Scotland. While I have spent a fair amount of time in Ireland, I didn't get a linguistic degree in the process, nor did I pay much attention as the majority of the time I was there I was a kid. Least I can almost always tell the difference, so if I'm wrong about the frigging dude on Lost and his accent, I apologize. It sounds to me very much like the accent related more to the north of Ireland, much more so than Scotland anyway. Scottish to me always sounded a bit rougher, not as much lilting of the voice and so on. Either way, didn't sound Scottish at all to me. In other words...blow me and my second-generation Irish mushroom. :)

compound said:
Has anybody else read the so-called "Genetic Mirror Theory" devised by alleged real-life anthropologist Marseille Rousseau that seems to convincingly provide an over-arching explanation of the plot, and recurring numbers motif, on Lost?

If you really want the gory details of the theory, and how it connects to the show, just check out the link yourself.

But for what it's worth, the whole explanation seems a little too convenient to be real. For starters, it's damn near impossible to find a legitimate resource about this 'theory' anywhere -- no Wikipedia entry, no listing at Amazon. (Perhaps the book is out of print, because the science has been thoroughly debunked.)

In any case, even if the speculation about 'genetic mirrors' doesn't hold true in nature/real life, the book's theories -- if it was ever published, in the first place -- *may* provide the intended explanation for the series. Hmmm...

Your thoughts, folks?

Did you do that barcode thing? It has proof.

compound said:

Your thoughts, folks?

Pretty interesting, and given the directions the show has taken it seems more than likely this is at the very least an influence for the wierd happenings, or its exactly whats going to happen. Though not sure how well it could be approached in a fictional setting of any kind, but the Lost writers do a damn good job as is, so if anyone could pull it off its probably them.

I doubt that's all of the answer. The creators of Lost know that there is a HUGE fanbase, and that someone has to figure out about this Genetinc Mirror Theory. So, probably, that's only part of it, if any at all. Maybe they made those the numbers just to throw us off. Sigh. Only time will tell.

DIrishB said:
Right back at ya you weird Brit. In regards to your African-American comments, I have some semblance of Irish culture (however sad it may be), have visited there on a pretty regular basis, have close family still living there, and am only first generation born here (both parents from Ireland). It isn't as if I'm desperately and futily trying to hold onto a culture or lineage I have no right to.
Good oh, the cultural identity of Americans has always been something of an interest to me. While you may have real Irish heritage, how many self proclaimed Irish-Americans could say the same? I think about a third of white Americans are of Irish heritage, a third German, a quarter English and the rest from the rest of Europe. I've always wondered why it is that an American is always so keen to disassociate himself with his country by alluding to be from Europe, or Africa. You don't get Latinos saying that they are Spaniards however. I'll say this, of my friends whose parents were born in a country other than England, they do not consider themselves to be anything other than English. This goes for Irish, Scot, Welsh, Indian, Pakistani, etc. There are cultural differences for those born of Asian origin of course, but they still would not refer to themselves as anything other than English.
For such an intelligent guy, you sure are quick to judge.
And you're quick to take me seriously :)
So do me a favor and get off your high horse, "Guijllons".
Ok, "DIrishB". For your information, Guijllons means nothing, I made it up, like I do all the names I use on the net.
And let me ask you something, were I to take a person from the Midwest of America, a person from the Northeast, and a person from the West coast, I seriously doubt you'd be able to match their accents with the region, as you don't live here and probably have little actual experience with Americans and their respective accents. If I were to do the same with the different regions of Canada, bet neither I nor you would guess correctly. The same applies for me in regards to Britain, Ireland, and Scotland.
Ah, it's not quite the same thing. I can tell strong differences in American accents, and it is a large country. But Britain is a bit of an odd place as regards to accents, you can travel 20 miles and find one significantly different to the one you speak. The massive degree of dialects and linguistic differences is far more than that of the US, in England alone. And states are not the same as countries, as each country in great Britain has its own native language, though seldom used of course. In fact, Cornwall is just a country and it has its own language.
But, you're not British, you're not expected to recognise all of the differences, you wouldn't know a Glaswegian from a Geordie or a Scouser. But given your Irish heritage, i would have thought that you could at least tell one Celtic accent from another.
While I have spent a fair amount of time in Ireland, I didn't get a linguistic degree in the process, nor did I pay much attention as the majority of the time I was there I was a kid. Least I can almost always tell the difference, so if I'm wrong about the frigging dude on Lost and his accent, I apologize. It sounds to me very much like the accent related more to the north of Ireland, much more so than Scotland anyway. Scottish to me always sounded a bit rougher, not as much lilting of the voice and so on. Either way, didn't sound Scottish at all to me. In other words...blow me and my second-generation Irish mushroom. :)
You're thinking of trainspotting then. That's a lower class accent, not everyone in Edinburgh speaks like that.

What you need is a list of words to practice. If you ever get stuck on what an accent might be just try to imagine the person saying one of these words, the corresponding country should be the correct choice..

Jobbie - Scottish
Boyo - Welsh
You'll never get that carrot to balance on that stick, it's far too pointy - Irish

I think the genetic mirror thing will play a part, but will certainly not be the whole solution. It's perfectly plausible that the numbers were just a red herring to what is really happening. The relgious symbolism is just as strong and prevalent as the numbers stuff. I'm curious to see where they're going with it.

Have you noticed that the two guys that are fathers (Michael and Claire's Ex) were both artist or 'creators'. In fact, the theme of fatherhood is a very big player.

Guijllons said:
Good oh, the cultural identity of Americans has always been something of an interest to me. While you may have real Irish heritage, how many self proclaimed Irish-Americans could say the same?

That I agree with, just saying thats not the case with everyone. And in this case, I think one of the reasons is that America is still a relatively new country, so it doesn't have that long, rich history most other countries have. Comparable to this behavior in Americans, Canadiens in large part are much the same. Though there are a lot of hardcore Canadiens who are proud of their country (and God only knows why) there are many who still proclaims themselves as French (or French Canadien), Irish, English, etc. I think in most cases people like to have that enriched background or history to hold onto, maybe its a psychological thing, maybe its a world-wide struggle for identity, I don't know.

I think about a third of white Americans are of Irish heritage, a third German, a quarter English and the rest from the rest of Europe.

Don't forget the large Italian portion. Actually, I'd say the Italian percentage is almost equal with the Irish, with German and English being somewhat less.

I've always wondered why it is that an American is always so keen to disassociate himself with his country by alluding to be from Europe, or Africa. You don't get Latinos saying that they are Spaniards however.

No, but over here you get them proclaiming themselves as Puerto Rican, Cuban, etc. So while not exactly the same, close enough.

I'll say this, of my friends whose parents were born in a country other than England, they do not consider themselves to be anything other than English. This goes for Irish, Scot, Welsh, Indian, Pakistani, etc. There are cultural differences for those born of Asian origin of course, but they still would not refer to themselves as anything other than English.
And you're quick to take me seriously :)

Always, unless you add a smiley. Then I know its a jab. ;)

Ok, "DIrishB". For your information, Guijllons means nothing, I made it up, like I do all the names I use on the net.

No one said otherwise. But thanks for explaining yourself.

Ah, it's not quite the same thing. I can tell strong differences in American accents, and it is a large country. But Britain is a bit of an odd place as regards to accents, you can travel 20 miles and find one significantly different to the one you speak.

Exactly!!

The massive degree of dialects and linguistic differences is far more than that of the US, in England alone. And states are not the same as countries, as each country in great Britain has its own native language, though seldom used of course. In fact, Cornwall is just a country and it has its own language.
But, you're not British, you're not expected to recognise all of the differences, you wouldn't know a Glaswegian from a Geordie or a Scouser. But given your Irish heritage, i would have thought that you could at least tell one Celtic accent from another.

I thought so too, guess not as well as I thought. Speaking of which, you're sure the guy is Scottish, right?

You're thinking of trainspotting then. That's a lower class accent, not everyone in Edinburgh speaks like that.

No, I know, I actually thought it was a little overdone and exaggerated, even for Scotland, in that movie.

What you need is a list of words to practice. If you ever get stuck on what an accent might be just try to imagine the person saying one of these words, the corresponding country should be the correct choice..

Jobbie - Scottish
Boyo - Welsh
You'll never get that carrot to balance on that stick, it's far too pointy - Irish

:lol:

Genius!!

Last edited:
DIrishB said:
Don't forget the large Italian portion. Actually, I'd say the Italian percentage is almost equal with the Irish, with German and English being somewhat less.
I'm sure that I read it was a third/third/quarter and the rest breakdown at one point. But apparently it's not the case. here
I thought so too, guess not as well as I thought. Speaking of which, you're sure the guy is Scottish, right?
Checked his bio to make sure I wasn't brainfarting. Yeah, he's a scot, so is the character.

No, I know, I actually thought it was a little overdone and exaggerated, even for Scotland, in that movie.
Nah, in fact it was pretty mild, I've known people in real life that are far less intelligible than that.

Guijllons said:
I'm sure that I read it was a third/third/quarter and the rest breakdown at one point. But apparently it's not the case. here

Wow, thats very surprising. I didn't realize so many people of German descent lived in the US. I assume most have had their last names Americanized, so I assumed they were of English descent. And seriously, I thought the Italian percentage would be MUCH higher...but maybe I'm biased as the only big cities I've spent extended amount of time in are Boston and New York.

Checked his bio to make sure I wasn't brainfarting. Yeah, he's a scot, so is the character.

Didn't even know a bio was available for him yet, considering we know so little about the guy. That settles it though.

Nah, in fact it was pretty mild, I've known people in real life that are far less intelligible than that.

I don't doubt it. But then again my knowledge of Scottish accents is apparently lacking.

The bio was that of the actor.

And this is interesting...

Now the accents in Lost haven't actually been spot on, an Australian friend was complaining that a couple of the Aussies sounded south African, and a couple of the English ones are such parodies it's untrue (but sound more like an English person faking an English accent).

So, is Desmond actually supposed to be Irish, despite his accent?

I say this because I've just remembered that there is a place just outside of Dublin, a fishing village (a parallel with Jin) that is called....

Black rock.

That cannot be an accident. The Black Rock is a pirate ship and the raft guys got attacked by pirates.

Will all these parallels be tied up eventually? No, no, they probably won't be.

Guijllons said:
The bio was that of the actor.

And this is interesting...

Now the accents in Lost haven't actually been spot on, an Australian friend was complaining that a couple of the Aussies sounded south African, and a couple of the English ones are such parodies it's untrue (but sound more like an English person faking an English accent).

So, is Desmond actually supposed to be Irish, despite his accent?

I say this because I've just remembered that there is a place just outside of Dublin, a fishing village (a parallel with Jin) that is called....

Black rock.

That cannot be an accident. The Black Rock is a pirate ship and the raft guys got attacked by pirates.

Will all these parallels be tied up eventually? No, no, they probably won't be.

Good point. So in the actor's case, maybe we have a Scot trying to do an Irish accent. I'm grasping at straws, I know.

DIrishB said:
Good point. So in the actor's case, maybe we have a Scot trying to do an Irish accent. I'm grasping at straws, I know.
If he was it's the worst Irish accent I've ever heard. And trust me, mine is truly ****ing awful.

Guijllons said:
If he was it's the worst Irish accent I've ever heard. And trust me, mine is truly ****ing awful.

You must not get out much, I've heard some REALLY lame attempts, not only from random people on the street but sometimes even in professional instances like movies or TV shows (as is apparently the case with Lost). But seriously, if he does turn out to be Irish (the character anyway) and I was right, I get a penny.

DIrishB said:
You must not get out much, I've heard some REALLY lame attempts, not only from random people on the street but sometimes even in professional instances like movies or TV shows (as is apparently the case with Lost). But seriously, if he does turn out to be Irish (the character anyway) and I was right, I get a penny.
You get a penny, despite him sounding Scottish, which he is :)
And nothing beats my "hoi hoi, hav ye seen me goat, it's covered in lucky chaams?"

In a DEVILISHLY brilliant turn of events, ABC realized that they can get rid of The Apprentice Martha Stewart for good by postponing the 8-9pm Season Premiere(s) on ABC so that they can rerun last week's LOST Season 2 debut (I'm gonna watch it again!). Just wait until Martha hears that she was beat in the ratings 2 WEEKS in a row by an episode of lost that was a clip show (last week) and a rerun (this week)! :lol:

ultimatedjf said:
In a DEVILISHLY brilliant turn of events, ABC realized that they can get rid of The Apprentice Martha Stewart for good by postponing the 8-9pm Season Premiere(s) on ABC so that they can rerun last week's LOST Season 2 debut (I'm gonna watch it again!). Just wait until Martha hears that she was beat in the ratings 2 WEEKS in a row by an episode of lost that was a clip show (last week) and a rerun (this week)! :lol:

Genius. The only things Martha Stewart is good for are baking, making curtains out of bed sheets, and being sodomized in jail by fellow female inmates.

Latest posts

Back