Avengers Mighty Avengers Series Discussion **SPOILERS**

okay, I dont have roof, but at ECCC yesterday I was talking to Bendis and Bagley for a bit, and in passing they both mentioned that Cho is leaving with issue 6...his replacement...

Mark Bagley

okay, I dont have roof, but at ECCC yesterday I was talking to Bendis and Bagley for a bit, and in passing they both mentioned that Cho is leaving with issue 6...his replacement...

Mark Bagley

You forgot the "April Fools" part.

The story is up on Newsarama, so, unless this is Newsarama's April Fools prank, the news is true.

Bendis says the story line involves Venom and Dr. Doom. :)

Here's my rant from the New Member thread, reposted for Ice.

"We need a ninja."

I can't understand why that hasn't become an internet phenomenon on the level of "the goddamn Batman".

And if you do need a ninja, you use them for ****ing ninja jobs, not running around next to the Sentry fighting monsters!

And Ultron is inexplicably female. I just don't trust Bendis to explain this at all without forever tainting Ultron with its evil.

Also, there's no logical reason for the Avengers to exist. Here are a few reasons why the team might have been assembled:

1. As Earth's Mightiest Heroes, to handle big-time threats. But then, why are they all staying together, all the time? Shouldn't they be spread out to back up inexperienced heroes? I can understand them coming together to fight off the Moleman if he's causing massive natural disasters, and Ultron is a natural enemy of the Avengers, but unless Earth is under threats 24/7, the Avengers don't have a reason to exist. This also makes the team make no sense. I'm saying that they're supposed to be the ultimate combat team... so why is Black Widow there? And Carol and Tony's criteria for them is "We need a Thor and a Wolverine" so I don't think they're really thinking about team dynamics and how they can handle threats and the team's not gonna be that great.

2. As the best in all their fields. The best tactician, the best stealth operative, the best slugger, the best at handling aliens. But then, the way they all just ran off to fight mole monsters together doesn't make any sense. They don't have any tech guys besides Tony, and even though he's clearly not always going to fight with them (or he would've been killed by being assimilated by Ultron) he still can't give them the full backup they need. And they're not picking the best of the best. What the hell is the Wasp the best at?

3. As a group of Tony's people, a team he can point at a problem and say "get that" and then deal with something else without breathing down their necks. But then, why would he put the unstable Sentry on the team and (though like I said, that's not really Tony fighting with them) put himself on the team?

4. As just another superhero team who handles global threats together. But then, why should they restrict themselves to such a small group with straightforward powers? The old Avengers had a huge lineup. Plus, they had such a wide range of powers. If the old Avengers ran across a problem that needed sonic powers or magic or electromagnetic powers, they could flip through the reserves and find either someone who had what they needed or had teamed up with someone who did. With these Avengers, once you take down or distract the obviously unstable Sentry, you just have to hit them until they stop moving except for Deus ex Tony.

5. I can't think of another five, but seriously, WTF is Wasp doing on the team? Nobody has begun to answer this question.

Also, there's no logical reason for the Avengers to exist. Here are a few reasons why the team might have been assembled:

Okay, well. First, the Avengers weren't a big team, not for a long, long time. The Mighty Avengers are bigger now than the original Avengers were for their first decade or so. Second, as bizarrely written as the "we need a ninja, a Wolverine, a Thor, a tandem bicycle and eye of newt" scene was, it was all about building the team dynamic. Third, Wasp is on the team because she's one of the most experienced heroes in the Marvel Universe. She's been around longer than almost anyone, she's been the leader of the Avengers, she's been through everything, seen everything, done everyone. . . She deserves to be on the team.

Because we keep buying them even though we know better.

You keep buying them because you're stupid.

I can't even be bothered to download and read this **** because it's so horrible.

Okay, well. First, the Avengers weren't a big team, not for a long, long time. The Mighty Avengers are bigger now than the original Avengers were for their first decade or so. Second, as bizarrely written as the "we need a ninja, a Wolverine, a Thor, a tandem bicycle and eye of newt" scene was, it was all about building the team dynamic. Third, Wasp is on the team because she's one of the most experienced heroes in the Marvel Universe. She's been around longer than almost anyone, she's been the leader of the Avengers, she's been through everything, seen everything, done everyone. . . She deserves to be on the team.

But if that was a flaw of the Avengers Classic, then the Mighty Avengers should already be prepared for it. The Mighty Avengers don't have to be perfect, but they have to be able to handle all the threats and eliminate the problems the old teams encountered. The "team dynamic" was another problem those old teams encountered--people not working together, the most powerful member being completely insane. Those old teams didn't work, but Tony and Carol are just trying to imitate them as closely as possible. And it wasn't looking at the current state of affairs. They weren't asking, "What do we need to apprehend the New Avengers? How can we deal with magical threats? How can we keep this team from conflicting with SHIELD?"

And I guess I'll wait until a few arcs get under this team's belt before condemning the Wasp. She hasn't proven herself so far, but I guess she gets the benefit of the doubt for her years of past service.

Oh, wait, this team won't last a few arcs. World War Hulk. :roll:

"We need a ninja."

I can't understand why that hasn't become an internet phenomenon on the level of "the goddamn Batman".

And if you do need a ninja, you use them for ****ing ninja jobs, not running around next to the Sentry fighting monsters!

*Applause*

Seven Soldiers of Victory was so awesome.

"We need a ninja."

And Ultron is inexplicably female. I just don't trust Bendis to explain this at all without forever tainting Ultron with its evil.

1. As Earth's Mightiest Heroes, to handle big-time threats. But then, why are they all staying together, all the time? Shouldn't they be spread out to back up inexperienced heroes? I can understand them coming together to fight off the Moleman if he's causing massive natural disasters, and Ultron is a natural enemy of the Avengers, but unless Earth is under threats 24/7, the Avengers don't have a reason to exist. This also makes the team make no sense. I'm saying that they're supposed to be the ultimate combat team... so why is Black Widow there? And Carol and Tony's criteria for them is "We need a Thor and a Wolverine" so I don't think they're really thinking about team dynamics and how they can handle threats and the team's not gonna be that great.

2. As the best in all their fields. The best tactician, the best stealth operative, the best slugger, the best at handling aliens. But then, the way they all just ran off to fight mole monsters together doesn't make any sense. They don't have any tech guys besides Tony, and even though he's clearly not always going to fight with them (or he would've been killed by being assimilated by Ultron) he still can't give them the full backup they need. And they're not picking the best of the best. What the hell is the Wasp the best at?

3. As a group of Tony's people, a team he can point at a problem and say "get that" and then deal with something else without breathing down their necks. But then, why would he put the unstable Sentry on the team and (though like I said, that's not really Tony fighting with them) put himself on the team?

4. As just another superhero team who handles global threats together. But then, why should they restrict themselves to such a small group with straightforward powers? The old Avengers had a huge lineup. Plus, they had such a wide range of powers. If the old Avengers ran across a problem that needed sonic powers or magic or electromagnetic powers, they could flip through the reserves and find either someone who had what they needed or had teamed up with someone who did. With these Avengers, once you take down or distract the obviously unstable Sentry, you just have to hit them until they stop moving except for Deus ex Tony.

5. I can't think of another five, but seriously, WTF is Wasp doing on the team? Nobody has begun to answer this question.

Yeah - it reads like no one has actually spent any time thinking this through on any level. I'm all for stories that don't make too much sense and have some plot holes here and there, but when half your first issue is talking about how and why a team is formed, it behooves you to have it make sense.

There's another reason why you don't need the Avengers as I pointed out earlier - if the Mole Man, with no prior warning, can attack a city and in four hours they can assemble a team of supers to battle him and effectively deploy them into the field, then the team for each job can be created as required by the mission - kinda like Global Frequency.

Which is a brilliant comic.

In fact, the reaction time would be less than this one because the characters required are already on duty, registered, and part of the initiative. Remember, in #1 it took SHIELD four hours to not only assemble a team and deploy it, but recruit it.

Beh. It feels like I'm spending more time thinking this comic through than Marvel.

I can't believe you guys can still find things to talk about with this.

I hate you all.

I'm allowed 3 horrible books to enjoy. And after going thru all my comics I get----I only have 2 guilty pleasures: Supergirl and Mighty Avengers.

So there!! :p

Latest posts

Back