Miracleman (Marvel)

Funny to think that this will almost certainly happen. After a few years they will have some hack writing the character, ruining it with stupid ideas and forced integration and team ups. It's funny because the character is untouchable and mythical right now. They are being so careful with rights and not upsetting the apple cart as far as permissions with past creators go, and in a few short years it will mean nothing because with crappy gimmicks they will suck all of the life and value out of the character.

Exactly. Ideally I'd love to see them reprint the original Moore and Gaiman run, and hire Gaiman to finish that run. I'd also like to see them continue past that with seriously considered and stellar pitches from truly talented writers who can do the character and his world justice, while keeping it a self contained universe and not crossing it over with 616 AT ALL.

Unfortunately they'll do the exact opposite and turn it into a complete joke in an attempt to make more money, which is incredibly short sighted. If they did it right it'd be a massively critically and commercially self contained title. The single issues and collections would sell very well, and while that might also be true for the 616 crossover approach, it won't last. Readers will recognize the lack of quality and justification and stop buying the title within a few months. It's a complete shame.

Change Deadpool to Venom (original) and I'd buy that!

Sigh.

Last edited:
Re: Man of Steel Discussion (Spoilers)

Exactly. Ideally I'd love to see them reprint the original Moore and Gaiman run, and hire Gaiman to finish that run. I'd also like to see them continue past that with seriously considered and stellar pitches from truly talented writers who can do the character and his world justice, while keeping it a self contained universe and not crossing it over with 616 AT ALL.

Unfortunately they'll do the exact opposite and turn it into a complete joke in an attempt to make more money, which is incredibly short sighted. If they did it right it'd be a massively critically and commercially self contained title. The single issues and collections would sell very well, and while that might also be true for the 616 crossover approach, it won't last. Readers will recognize the lack of quality and justification and stop buying the title within a few months. It's a complete shame.

Yeah, exactly. I've seen a good number of reports that say they are doing exactly that - getting all of the permissions and whatnot for reprinting the Moore/Gaiman stuff, but with the different artists and characters like the Warpsmiths which the rights are established for, there is a lot to get straightened out. People want to get paid for what they did.

I'm a little disappointed about the current rumors that they are going to revert it back to Marvelman, so that they will need to change the name in the entire 24 issue Moore/Gaiman run. I wish it would just stay as Miracleman and then let Gaiman do whatever he needs to do at the end to change it to Marvelman. I'm sure he could think of something.

As for integration...I'm sure that integrating him with the regular MU is the only thing on their minds. I just have this sinking feeling that Bendis is going to be involved.

I keep watching to see if Mark Buckingham takes a break from Fables, hoping that he's secretly finishing the Gaiman Miracleman stories. I got my hopes up when I saw he wasn't on the last issue, but it looks like he's back on it.

Yeah, exactly. I've seen a good number of reports that say they are doing exactly that - getting all of the permissions and whatnot for reprinting the Moore/Gaiman stuff, but with the different artists and characters like the Warpsmiths which the rights are established for, there is a lot to get straightened out. People want to get paid for what they did.

As they should. And if Marvel were willing to pay those artists/writers fairly for that work (especially considering the likely profit of reprints would make).

I'm a little disappointed about the current rumors that they are going to revert it back to Marvelman, so that they will need to change the name in the entire 24 issue Moore/Gaiman run. I wish it would just stay as Miracleman and then let Gaiman do whatever he needs to do at the end to change it to Marvelman. I'm sure he could think of something.

Eh, I'd prefer it to stay as Miracleman too, but considering its being revived by Marvel (and God knows they love promotion), it doesn't surprise me at all, and I can understand their reasoning and motivation to do so. Also, since it was originally Marvelman and only forced to become Miracleman due to a lawsuit by Marvel back during the Moore run when reprinted in America, it's both appropriate that now that Marvel is reprinting those comics they're going to have to go to the trouble of shelling out to alter the name everywhere in the title, as well as being the definition of ironic.

As for integration...I'm sure that integrating him with the regular MU is the only thing on their minds. I just have this sinking feeling that Bendis is going to be involved.

Ugh. That'd be a nightmare. An overly talkative, out of character Miracleman for sure. I still can't believe they don't recognize the gold mine they have on their hands and instead want to integrate it into the 616 proper. That is guaranteed to absolutely ruin the character.

I still hope they figure out it'll likely be more profitable to keep the character in his own, distinct universe, and let talented writers build of that. Let Gaiman finish his original run (the Silver Age and the Dark Age), let him write new stories if he so chooses, and then let quality, fantastic writers take the ball from there.

Let Marvel test the waters (even though its unnecessary) by re-releasing the original issues, perhaps with color touch ups along with the likely rebranding to Marvelman. We all know the issues will sell like crazy. It'd be smart to release them bi-weekly, allowing for a year of reprint releases while Neil writes the remaining issues of the Silver and Dark Ages arcs. This will allow the artist plenty of lead time (hopefully Buckingham, even if he's still working on Fables that lead time will allow him to perhaps work on both titles simultaneously), a year at least if they do a biweekly re-release through issue #24. They could publish new TPB/Hardcovers during that year, each collecting the re-printed/re-colored/re-branded issues, and finally release issues #25-34 over the next year or so, also collecting those new issues in TPBs/HCs of their own.

And from there? Who knows, but hopefully they'd maintain the same level of talent (or close as possible) as Moore and Gaiman in the writing, and Totleben, Buckingham, and even Leach and Davis (while their artwork isn't on the same level as Totleben's or Buckingham's, it was the initial and quite lovely in its own right).

I keep watching to see if Mark Buckingham takes a break from Fables, hoping that he's secretly finishing the Gaiman Miracleman stories. I got my hopes up when I saw he wasn't on the last issue, but it looks like he's back on it.

Buckingham returning would be great! Other than Gaiman returning (which I think is likely since he's been trying to obtain the rights for a long time, hence using the profits from 1602 to pursue that very outcome), I think Grant Morrison may be a good choice for the title after Gaiman, based on his range and ability to create deep emotional impact and great understanding of characters.

And I absolutely think Bass should get to write back up MM stories in the issues. ;)

Last edited:
I've been reason miracleman lately. Amazing stories.

You can still get them if you want to read them. They aren't THAT expensive.

Re: Marvel to Publish Marvelman!

I've been reason miracleman lately. Amazing stories.

You can still get them if you want to read them. They aren't THAT expensive.

They are pretty expensive!

Many of the very early issues (probably the first 1-10 or so) can be found for under $10 US if you are diligent. But you'd have a real hard time finding #15 for under $100 US, and likely closer to $150 or $200. I seem to remember that #16 is up there, too.

The Gaiman issues are, for the most part, around $20-40. #23 is closer to $60, and #24 is closer to $100. Those two issues are VERY hard to find. The print run on those issues is only around 6000.

Trades are another story. They are hard to find, and quite expensive.

Yeah, I spent around $500 over a year collecting all the original Eclipse issues, as well as some of the UK exclusive stuff (the Warrior issues and specials). #15 is by far the most expensive, and #16 can be pricey too. The later Gaiman stuff isn't too bad, but overall, if you're trying to get the full 24 issue run and mini-series, expect to spend several hundred dollars at least.

#15 is by far the most expensive, and #16 can be pricey too.

If you can even find #24, it's almost as much as #15, at least in decent condition. I have them all, but it took a few years to do it.

DIB - do you have ALL of the Warrior issues? I think that might be my next project to tackle. I would probably have to start looking for a full run rather than piece them together; I don't believe I've ever seen a single Warrior here in the US (at shows, conventions, or stores).

If you can even find #24, it's almost as much as #15, at least in decent condition. I have them all, but it took a few years to do it.

DIB - do you have ALL of the Warrior issues? I think that might be my next project to tackle. I would probably have to start looking for a full run rather than piece them together; I don't believe I've ever seen a single Warrior here in the US (at shows, conventions, or stores).

No, I only collected Warrior issues which featured Miracleman related characters (like Big Ben or Warpsmiths) material that wasn't reprinted in the Eclipse comics. It's tough finding Warrior issues. If you're interested I'd try EBay.co.uk since that'll direct you to listings in UK, where they're much easier to find, or even UK Amazon.

Huge, huge exciting news:

"The wait is over," says Editor In Chief Axel Alonso. "Marvel will finally be bringing these timeless, ground-breaking stories to a whole new generation of reader."

"We've been working with the Miracleman artists to obtain original artwork or photostats in every instance possible, and then applying the same painstaking restoration methods and rigorous quality standards that are utilized on the Marvel Masterworks line. The Marvel Special Projects team have even been developing some new techniques specifically for this project. These Miracleman issues will receive the most advanced restoration possible to ensure the most authentic reading experience," says SVP of Marvel Publishing David Gabriel. "The art is crisp, clear, and looks as good – if not better than the day it was published! Also, the stories are being completely relettered to meet today's standards."

Making these stories available to an entirely new generation is one thing, but following the original groundbreaking run, the epic more than 30 years in the making will reach it's cataclysmic conclusion! You heard correctly – Marvel will also be publishing all-new Miracleman stories from legendary creators Neil Gaiman and Mark Buckingham! Long left unfinished, Gaiman and Buckingham's famous storyline will ultimately see the light of day!

"The tragedy of Miracleman was that we published two issues, wrote three and a half – and then it all stopped," Gaiman said, in an interview with Marvel.com. "And Miracleman #25 has been sitting in the darkness – nobody has seen it. It was drawn, it was written, it was lettered over 20 years ago."
"I love the idea that I will get to finish this story," added Gaiman.
"That Neil and Bucky can finally finish the story they started, is a great relief to still-gasping fans — myself among them," says Alonso.

Re-presented in serialized form, each issue of MIRACLEMAN features additional content including new art, interviews with the creators as well as new covers from some of the industry's most legendary artists! Look for MIRACLEMAN #1 in print and digital this January!

I understand the need/desire to recolor and re-letter the old issues but I'm a little leery of it. I hope they don't ruin it.

I also hope that they don't completely remove Alan Moore's name from the issues, but it sounds like that might be the case.

This is exciting!

miracleman-quesada.jpg

^ I hope that's the cover to the eventual omnibus.

I'm glad it's still called Miracleman and not changed back to Marvelman.

I also can't believe it's taken over four years since the original announcement for this to happen.

Last edited:

I'm glad it's still called Miracleman and not changed back to Marvelman.

I also can't believe it's taken over four years since the original announcement for this to happen.

It sounds like it took a lot of time to secure rights to reproduce the art from the original issues, which I believe is owned by the original artists. There was a pretty good number of artists in the first, say, 10 or 11 issues (Totleben did #10 or 11-16).

I wonder if they are going to reprint #8. It only contained old reprints of the 50s material if I'm not mistaken. And if they don't, I wonder if they will skip over it in the numbering.

Huge, huge exciting news: I understand the need/desire to recolor and re-letter the old issues but I'm a little leery of it. I hope they don't ruin it. I also hope that they don't completely remove Alan Moore's name from the issues, but it sounds like that might be the case. This is exciting! ^ I hope that's the cover to the eventual omnibus.

Amazing. I am so psyched for this. Even better is that they're keeping the Miracleman name instead of reverting to the obvious older Marvelman name.

And getting to see the conclusion of Gaiman's and Buckingham's run will be amazing.

Bass is going to have an awesomeness-induced stroke.

Also, January, 2014! Only a few months away!

I wonder if they'll bother reprinting the few Miracleman spin-off issues Eclipse did. Not really essential but for completists they're probably worth reprinting.

It sounds like it took a lot of time to secure rights to reproduce the art from the original issues, which I believe is owned by the original artists. There was a pretty good number of artists in the first, say, 10 or 11 issues (Totleben did #10 or 11-16). I wonder if they are going to reprint #8. It only contained old reprints of the 50s material if I'm not mistaken. And if they don't, I wonder if they will skip over it in the numbering.

I believe #8 had some framing pages which led into the reprinted stuff from the 50's Mick Anglo era, but I honestly can't remember.

Also, wonder how they're going to approach the infamous Miracleman #9 issue (with the medically accurate vaginal birth). I'm sure it'll have a Mature Readers tag, as will #15 and #16, but I really hope they don't do something stupid by censoring it in some lame fashion. I always found the reaction to that issue back in the day to be an interesting commentary on America's whole-hearted acceptance of violence while finding natural birth as something to be censored. Oh, that Moore!

Seriously, though, absolutely can't wait. Will definitely be picking up the individual reprints and the eventual collections.

Geez, I hadn't even considered possible censorship. I don't think they would. I'm sure the issues will have mature readers labels.

I wonder how much they will clean up the artwork. The first 6 issues were just old Warrior stuff mashed up together. Little things like the page numbers being drawn into the corners; stuff like that.

I just can't help but think things are going to be different and we're not getting the whole story. This whole situation seems like it has been that since the announcement that they bought the character. Even things like editing out Moore's name in the credits (if they end up doing that) is kind of a big deal to me.

But oh well. it's better than nothing.

I also hope that they release #25 as originally intended and don't try to redo the art, since it was already drawn and ready to be colored.

Geez, I hadn't even considered possible censorship. I don't think they would. I'm sure the issues will have mature readers labels. I wonder how much they will clean up the artwork. The first 6 issues were just old Warrior stuff mashed up together. Little things like the page numbers being drawn into the corners; stuff like that. I just can't help but think things are going to be different and we're not getting the whole story. This whole situation seems like it has been that since the announcement that they bought the character. Even things like editing out Moore's name in the credits (if they end up doing that) is kind of a big deal to me. But oh well. it's better than nothing. I also hope that they release #25 as originally intended and don't try to redo the art, since it was already drawn and ready to be colored.

I was thinking that until the announcement. With it scheduled to start releasing in only 3 months, I doubt they'd announce anything that wasn't a sure thing, such as including Moore's run. What'd really be the point in reprinting it without his stuff? Gaiman's issues were great, but Moore's are the truly amazing reads.

I'm hoping we get everything. The only exceptions I could see would be the #8 issue reprint stuff, and the spin off stuff like Miracleman 3D, Apocrypha, etc.

But I think Marvel is smart enough to realize there's enough interest and critical acclaim in the property to try to reprint everything.

We'll see.

Ah, ok. Like I said I'd be incredibly surprised if they even bothered with the reprints if it didn't include his stuff.

I really liked Apocrypha and I hope they eventually get around to reprinting that.

I also noticed this reading the quote again:

We've been working with the Miracleman artists to obtain original artwork or photostats in every instance possible

That really sounds to me like they didn't get it all. So either they will have someone re-drawing some parts of it, or omitting some.

I really liked Apocrypha and I hope they eventually get around to reprinting that. I also noticed this reading the quote again: That really sounds to me like they didn't get it all. So either they will have someone re-drawing some parts of it, or omitting some.

Or just reprinting the original printed material, as opposed to from the original artwork.

While the books can be pricey, I'm sure it's worth Marvel's time and money to track down the Warrior and Eclipse stuff to work from when the original artwork isn't available. And with the recoloring and advanced touch ups they can do with today's technology, I don't see it being a problem.

I'd think Marvel would be smart enough to realize many comic fans view Miracleman as one of the "Holy Grails" of comics. Replacing existing art or whatever would be tantamount to sacrilege and piss a lot of people off. I'd think they'd both want and be capable of avoiding that.

Or just reprinting the original printed material, as opposed to from the original artwork.

While the books can be pricey, I'm sure it's worth Marvel's time and money to track down the Warrior and Eclipse stuff to work from when the original artwork isn't available. And with the recoloring and advanced touch ups they can do with today's technology, I don't see it being a problem.

I'd think Marvel would be smart enough to realize many comic fans view Miracleman as one of the "Holy Grails" of comics. Replacing existing art or whatever would be tantamount to sacrilege and piss a lot of people off. I'd think they'd both want and be capable of avoiding that.

But if they can't get the rights to reprint the artwork, it wouldn't matter. They wouldn't have a choice if they wanted to present the complete story.

And it doesn't sound to me like this is an issue with obtaining negatives or acetates or whatever they were on. It's for the art itself because the artists own the rights to their own art in this case. If an artist doesn't give the OK, they wouldn't have any choice but to have someone redraw it.

But if they can't get the rights to reprint the artwork, it wouldn't matter. They wouldn't have a choice if they wanted to present the complete story.

And it doesn't sound to me like this is an issue with obtaining negatives or acetates or whatever they were on. It's for the art itself because the artists own the rights to their own art in this case. If an artist doesn't give the OK, they wouldn't have any choice but to have someone redraw it.

Do the artists have the rights to the art as it was used in the books, or just the originals?

I understood this the same way DiB did, that Marvel didn't want to just use scans of the comics, but start with the original pencils and re-colour them.

Latest posts

Back