Very cool.

I hold out hope that some day the courts will see what a douche Todd McFarlane is and give everything to Gaiman, and we actually get to see this and other stories.

:lol:

So true. One day, I'm sure ALL the MM issues will be reprinted (most likely in TPB form). However, I have a feeling that day is still a long way away. Eventually, though, court proceedings and deals where all justified parties concerning the rights to MM will result in some company eventually acquiring the reprint rights (hopefully).

Just re-reading old Invincible trades recently and I was thinking that if MacFarlane really wanted (or even needed) Miracle/Marvelman in his stories, he should have put a comedic, Damien Darkblood-esque homage rather than just plunking the character in, with a different name.

But, I digress. It was after all, about money, so whatever.

Veeeery interesting tidbit from the final Lying in the Gutters column:

One of the most returned-to stories over the history of this column, and the ones that preceded it, concern Marvelman/Miracleman. I spent ages tracking down contracts, working out who had percentage of what, who handed what percentage of their own percentage to whom, what contracts were valid, who screwed over who, before it turned out that everybody owned the rights to their own work they created for the comic series, but the only one who actually owned the rights to Marvelman/Miracleman was original creator Mick Anglo.

What was once thought a bankruptcy of the original publisher Miller, turns out to have been the winding up and closing down of the company,

John Campbell and his brother of Emotiv Records in Glasgow formed a relationship with Mick Anglo, and currently represent his rights in the matter.

And Moore recently stated that he was happy for his work to be used to help Mick Anglo out in that respect, whether that be in reprints, a cartoon series or whatever.

It's this "whatever" that is causing some concern, however.

One proposal, to circumvent a number of rights issues, would be to take Moore's original scripts for the series and offer them to other artists to draw, And as the current state of play have none of the Marvelman/Miracleman artists owning any rights to the series as a whole, this proposed "remake" would see them without a penny in royalties.

And this wouldn't cover the Neil Gaiman/Mark Buckingham issues either.

Expect to see a number of possibilities, and versions of the series in the near future. though not necessarily the version you actually want. As Steve Bissette said, if you want this series, find the cheapest way to buy the issues of the original series - and do it now.

I've finished all of Gaiman's issues except for the last part of The Golden Age, which I'll probably read later tonight.

I really liked them. He continued the story perfectly and I love the way that The Golden Age, despite looking like a random series of vignettes, seem to be clearly setting up the sense of deep dissatisfaction that runs through Miracleman's new world. Young Miraclman's return was...sad. I must see how this story was going to end.

Oh yeah, and Mark Buckingham's art is AMAZING. John Totleben's art from Olympus was pretty but Buckingham's versatility is mindblowing.

Check this out. I didn't know anything about this and didn't see anyone mention it, but apparently Miracleman crossed over with Captain Britain during Alan Moore's run on the latter's book.

The pieces come together. Marvel released a Alan Moore/Alan Davis Captain Britain Omnibus a while ago, which was kind of a weird release since it was a UK comic and I don't believe they've released any other UK-only Omnibus editions.

I cleaned out a significant portion of the Miracleman back issues at WWC today.

What did you get? I only have #1, 2, 13, and 16.

I picked up 12, 13, 16, 17, & 19. I also picked up the TPBs of Apocrypha and Fear of Flying, which were surprisingly inexpensive. There is one guy there I didn't buy from because he was too expensive, but I'm going back tomorrow to see if he has any last-day discounts.

I also left a #14 on the shelf but the guy wanted $45 for it and I know I can find it cheaper.

I don't know about over there, but in the US it is *fairly* easy to find the first 10 issues for relatively cheap. The later Moore issues and all of the Gaiman issues are much tougher. I was hoping to get all of the remaining Gaiman issues I didn't have but nobody has them.

I now have 1-7, 9-10, 12, 13, 15-19 and the 2 trades.

Check this out. I didn't know anything about this and didn't see anyone mention it, but apparently Miracleman crossed over with Captain Britain during Alan Moore's run on the latter's book.

The pieces come together. Marvel released a Alan Moore/Alan Davis Captain Britain Omnibus a while ago, which was kind of a weird release since it was a UK comic and I don't believe they've released any other UK-only Omnibus editions.

This was when Miracleman was still Marvelman; Alan Moore and Alan Davis were working together on Captain Britain for Marvel at the same time that they were doing Marvelman for Warrior. In fact I think that it was a Captain Britain related falling out that soured their working relationship, which was the real reason why Marvelman stopped suddenly in Warrior- the Marvel court case was, to some extent, a smokescreen.

Anyway, the point, is, this was the first time the name Miracleman was used; he was meant to be a parallel earth version of the Mick Anglo Marvelman, in the same way that Captain UK was the parallel earth Captain Britain, and the other heroes were analogs of other old UK superheroes of the 50s and 60s- The Steel Claw, Robot Archie, General Jumbo, Kelly's Eye etc.

A figure who looks very like Marvelman / Miracleman can be seen in a crowd scene a couple of pages earlier in the CB omnibus, too- alongside Dangermouse and Penfold, the Mekon, ET and a reverse-view Batman! And of course the commentator on Saturnyne's trial bears a striking resemblance to my own avatar, legendary British radio and TV personality Terry Wogan- though here known as 'Bob.'

In my experience, the only really expensive and hard to find issues of Miracleman are number 15 and the last few Gaiman issues, which are the only ones I haven't got, in some form or other- I've got the complete run of Warrior and the 'Golden Age' Gaiman TPB, and issues 1, 6-14, 16 and 18 of the miracleman comic. Issue 14 I found in my local comic shop for just £5 earlier this year; less than the price of two issues of Ultimatum...

Last edited:
I picked up 12, 13, 16, 17, & 19. I also picked up the TPBs of Apocrypha and Fear of Flying, which were surprisingly inexpensive. There is one guy there I didn't buy from because he was too expensive, but I'm going back tomorrow to see if he has any last-day discounts.

I also left a #14 on the shelf but the guy wanted $45 for it and I know I can find it cheaper.

I don't know about over there, but in the US it is *fairly* easy to find the first 10 issues for relatively cheap. The later Moore issues and all of the Gaiman issues are much tougher. I was hoping to get all of the remaining Gaiman issues I didn't have but nobody has them.

I now have 1-7, 9-10, 12, 13, 15-19 and the 2 trades.

For me, it's all about #15. I got #16 for a tenner, which was fine. But #15 goes for £35 which is just too much. It would literally have to come with a blowjob. The remaining issues, I'm not to interested in getting if I can't get #15. If I get #15, the hardest, I'll pick up the remainder, no problem.

For me, it's all about #15. I got #16 for a tenner, which was fine. But #15 goes for £35 which is just too much. It would literally have to come with a blowjob. The remaining issues, I'm not to interested in getting if I can't get #15. If I get #15, the hardest, I'll pick up the remainder, no problem.

I've found #15 more readily than the last 3 or so Gaiman issues. I can't find those ANYWHERE.

I found a guy at WWC Chicago selling #15 for $300, which is ridiculous. I got mine for WAY less. He was also selling the Olympus TPB for $500. Not surprisingly he still had them (and all of his overpriced issues) mid-day Sunday.

I've found #15 more readily than the last 3 or so Gaiman issues. I can't find those ANYWHERE.

I found a guy at WWC Chicago selling #15 for $300, which is ridiculous. I got mine for WAY less. He was also selling the Olympus TPB for $500. Not surprisingly he still had them (and all of his overpriced issues) mid-day Sunday.

PM me what numbers.

I'll give my local LCS a looksie.

How on Earth did you do that?

Not everyone's price gouging, a local antique shop had 1 - 16 for $100. Yeah, I bought it. Bagged and in Very Fine/Fine condition.

Every time I get dragged to an antique shop and someone eagerly points out to me the bins of comics they have, I usually shrug my shoulders because they always look like a lot of crappy 90s X-Men books.

Now I know better.

Every time I get dragged to an antique shop and someone eagerly points out to me the bins of comics they have, I usually shrug my shoulders because they always look like a lot of crappy 90s X-Men books.

Now I know better.

Yes, there is a vast supply of 90's crap (altho, I did find the Skroce/Moore Youngblood issues for $.25 for both), but if you look you can find gems hidden away. At one swap meet I found a bundle of old 70's Kirby era Captain Americas, $5 for close to 20 issues.

How on Earth did you do that?

eBay with a little bit of luck... I think... I know i got most of the series off eBay, it was a long while back, though, so I can't remember exactly how much I paid...

I also settled for a medium quality... its not in perfect shape, but it's perfectly readable.

I see. I'm kind of snobby about them. I get nice copies - not museum quality but always in excellent condition.

Latest posts

Back