Mortal Kombat Vs. Detective Comics?

Just because its also a fighting game doesn't necessarily mean its not a side game.

I doubt very much any of the events of this game will ever be brought up in future MK games (I don't think we'll see flashback scenes or references showing Scorpion fighting Superman in the next MK game). This, to me, makes it a side game. Its outcome probably is not going to affect ANY of the future MK games, short of a MK vs. DC Universe 2. Whether this game is part of the MK canon (which is so screwed up anyway it doesn't really matter) remains to be seen, but like I said, its outcome won't affect future MK games.

This IS a side-game, and saying it IS MK8 doesn't make any sense, considering those factors.

considering that Ed Boon called this MK8 is enough for me, plus the last side game (Shaolin Monks) wasn't made by the MK team, while this is, plus the story will probably be building off the Armageddon probably causing a weakening in the walls of reality allowing the merger of the realms.

you know what believe whatever you want, I'm not going to argue about this anymore

Last edited:
considering that Ed Boon called this MK8 is enough for me, plus the last side game (Shaolin Monks) wasn't made by the MK team, while this is, plus the story will probably be building off the Armageddon probably causing a weakening in the walls of reality allowing the merger of the realms.

you know what believe whatever you want, I'm not going to argue about this anymore

Argue? I'd call it a friendly debate. Relax. I didn't know Boon called it MK8, so if thats the case then thats the case. But like I said before, every other MK game (the main ones in the series) makes references and continues the story from the game before it.

Can you really tell me thats going to be the case in the next MK game? I'd say an almost guaranteed NO, considering the probably exorbitant additional licensing costs to use the DC characters (even in only a reference).

Whatever, its MK8. And then there'll be MK9. Probably next year, or 2010. You won't have to wait long for a "real" MK game.

:roll:

Argue? I'd call it a friendly debate. Relax. I didn't know Boon called it MK8, so if thats the case then thats the case. But like I said before, every other MK game (the main ones in the series) makes references and continues the story from the game before it.

Can you really tell me thats going to be the case in the next MK game? I'd say an almost guaranteed NO, considering the probably exorbitant additional licensing costs to use the DC characters (even in only a reference).

Whatever, its MK8. And then there'll be MK9. Probably next year, or 2010. You won't have to wait long for a "real" MK game.

:roll:

You know I'd imagine, that MK9 would be a full blown reboot, the series really needs one.

odds are they'll use the Armageddon in MKA to help explain the crossover, and if there isn't a reboot in MK9 and they continued the story and they don't have the DC license anymore, they can reference everything that happens in the game as long as they are coy about the identities of the visiting DC-ians not naming them by name and not using they're likeness in the game.

and don't you roll you're eye's at me sonny!

You know I'd imagine, that MK9 would be a full blown reboot, the series really needs one.

Didn't they say at one point the next-gen Mortal kombat game would be a new start with all new charracters and very few returning I think only two they said would return was sub zero and scorpion.

Then we get the DC cross-over? Which sure has all new charracters but not the way they described. They said Armegedon was to kill off the entire universe. It was on ign ages ago.

So maybe that is MK 8.

Didn't they say at one point the next-gen Mortal kombat game would be a new start with all new charracters and very few returning I think only two they said would return was sub zero and scorpion.

Then we get the DC cross-over? Which sure has all new charracters but not the way they described. They said Armegedon was to kill off the entire universe. It was on ign ages ago.

So maybe that is MK 8.

they didn't say only subby and scorps would return, they said that very few returning characters but subby and scorps are guarentee's because you can't have an MK without them (well beside MK3 which didn't have Scorpion).

they didn't say only subby and scorps would return, they said that very few returning characters but subby and scorps are guarentee's because you can't have an MK without them (well beside MK3 which didn't have Scorpion).

Yeah but you got what I was saying

Yeah but you got what I was saying

yeah,

I'm pretty sure, that they were well on their way to doing an actual reboot of the franchise, but the oppurtunity to work with DC popped up (probably cause of the marketing department), and they side tracked the reboot and went forward with this

apparently Ed has wanted to do an MK crossover since about MK4 and they had pursuited a bunch of path's but something always came up that gave it the boots, now they finally had a chance to do one, and after some consideration they decided to go for it, and since the rumour of MK/DC has been around since about November of last year, and they started work on MK8 in late 2006 the game would have been well into production for atleast a year so it wouldn't have been to hard to scratch all the new characters (probably making them holdovers for MK9 in 2010) and replacing them with DC, then they simply hired Graymiotti to explain everything and here we are today

the more i think about it, the more the 20-22 character roster pisses me off,

the game will end up being the cast of MK1 versus the Justice League and the Joker

now i'm not demanding the cast to be epic in size like Armageddon's but 32 seem's like it would be alot fairer to fans from either series.

If character's like Quan Chi and Kung Lao get the shaft I will be pissed off

cds.jpg

I like the redesign, It could be better I mean it looks like scorpion has a face-hugger but overall It's pretty cool

superman-1.jpg

Superman has Super-Stubble

I bet he uses a kryptonite razor

they've also released art for 2 stages, the netherrealm, and a destroyed Metropolis (with the daily planets globe destroyed and laying on the street in the background)

Last edited:
That's cool Gemini. I hope in the opening video or at least one of the story mode videos we see Metropolis get destroyed.

New Sub-Zero render
cds-1.jpg

I find his face strange looking but overall it's pretty cool, and his arms actually look like they are made of ice instead of coated in powder blue frost

Those character pics are great! Can't wait to see Batman's design (saw him a little in the trailer, but wasn't easy to make out with all the movement, small screen, etc).

Any other news on the line-up for the game? What characters we'll get, etc? This is out later this year right?

Those character pics are great! Can't wait to see Batman's design (saw him a little in the trailer, but wasn't easy to make out with all the movement, small screen, etc).

Any other news on the line-up for the game? What characters we'll get, etc? This is out later this year right?

November 10th 2008 is the current release date

20-22 characters is the estimated roster, 10-11 from each side

Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Superman, and Batman are the only one's confirmed for now, but they are going for the Icons for recognizability so expect guys like Raiden, Liu Kang, Green Lantern, Wonderwoman etc.

The Batman render should be released sometime earlier next week

Last edited:
Something I found, apparently someone from TRMK.org (a sorta second tier MK news site) spoke with someone from DC about the game, and some interesting tidbits come up

Just spoke with ******** at the Wizard World Philly Event. He was helping set up the DC booth. Sorry about not naming my source but for the few news bits he gave me, he asked I not reveal his name, so he wouldn't be revealed as a "spoiler monkey", his words. As he stated, he's part of the few involved with the game. "Not many, but a few. But more then a couple" that are working on the game with Midway. Again, his words.

They discussed in the early stages that the MK Universe could be one of the 52 Earths that make up the DCU, but for legal reasons with Midway/DC/WB, etc, and other "complicated boring issues, not having anything to do with the game," this WILL NOT be the case. The way the 2 universes meet is finalized, but will only be revealed in Issue 1 of the comic. And plays out to a much better story anyway.

The tie-in story is pretty much completed. There are still a few tweaks to be made, since a few game endings for different characters are a major story point in the comics. And each character's endings are being written by the DC team, with a ton of input from Midway.

Said the comic will have a huge TWIST that no fan, DC or MK, saw coming.

The artist will be announced soon, probably at the San Diego Comic Con.

He said DC might run a 2 or 3 page preview in some of their monthly books, but that will be much closer to the release of the comic or game.

I asked if the story will be an Elseworlds story or fall in the DCU proper. It will NOT be an Elseworlds story, but don't look for any references about the event in any DC books, besides a very small few, IF that. No MK characters will ever show up in any other DC books, EVER. He said there will not be an issue of Batman with flashbacks on the event or Batman discussing what happened with Robin.

Robin? So he is in the game? I get a big *smirk* and Yes. Add Robin to the list. I then of course asked, which one? Tim Drake? Dick Grayson? Jason Todd? Stephanie Brown? He said the story will take place in the present. So Tim Drake? And he confirmed with a head nod.

I must have named off every MK character and DC character that came to mind to see if he would let me know who else. He said a few are quite obvious on both ends and confirmed the following: Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern (didn't say which GL or Flash but said that doesn't mean there is only one of each in the game) Black Canary, Hawkman and Powergirl.

MK characters he confirmed were - Kabal, Sonya, Jax, Raiden, and Kitana.

I asked how many of each universe or total. He couldn't say. A fair amount of each is the answer he gave. I asked about DCU villains. He said yes. There will be more DC Heroes in the game, but the Villains will be represented. Would not say which ones made it into the game.

Also confirmed, due to more legal reasons, none of the Charlton characters from the DCU made it into the game - Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, The Question. And the same goes for the Fawcett Comics characters - Captain Marvel/Shazam!, etc.

They are working very closely with Midway on the game and how the DCU characters will play out - moves, looks, etc.

He couldn't tell me anything on special moves or finishing moves, fatalities etc. No info on the blood in the game either.

No info on a release date, but he does know about when its due out. And wouldn't say.

No Wii version. But then stated "at this time". No plans for a PC version or some type of DS or PSP spin-off. They are signed on for 2 games. This one, and if sales permit, a follow-up.

Each platform - 360/PS3 will be exactly the same. No console will get any type of extras or bonus content like exclusive characters or game modes. When asked which system he preferred, he said he owns both, so both.

There will be DLC. But wasn't sure exactly what or when. He said there were a few stages and costumes cut from the game, so that is a possibility. As far as more characters, he said that is something Midway will decide on later. But if he had to guess right now, he said we might see 1 or 2.

There will be a Special Edition of the game for each system, for of course more $$. It will likely include some type of early artwork, behind the scenes/making of DVD and a reprint of Issue 1 of the comic series. I asked about the addition of a a classic MK game being included and he said he had no idea, that was up to Midway.

Said online play is shaping up to be awesome. No cross-platform play. Both DC and Midway would have liked to have it, but thats up to Microsoft/Sony he said. And the answer was no.

That was all the info I could get on the storyline or anymore characters other then the ones he confirmed. Or how he said it, "highly suggested were in the game". No info on any of the game modes or the Kreate-a-Kharacter feature.

Said fans of both MK and DC comics will be happy with the outcome. They are very serious about the game and did not take it lightly or as a joke in anyway.

Thats all I have, if I can get anymore info, I will pass it along to TRMK.

now the validity of this is kinda up in the air, because of the concealed sources and such but take it as you will,

Last edited:
Hm Robin. Didn't see that one coming. I'd rather it be Nightwing but oh well. And Flash and Green Lantern should be so amazing to use in this game.

Robin is in and there is no fatalities? That's just cruel

No one can argue that Tim Drake is a bad character. He's awesome in Teen Titans.

I'll agree on that (Teen titans cartoon that is as I don't like the comic) but the idea of killing a robin even if it was Dick who grows up to become my favourite dc character , is fun for me. :lol:

Latest posts

Back