Avengers New Avengers: The Trust discussion (#32-37 +Annual 2; spoilers)

Re: New Avengers: The Trust discussion (#32+; spoilers)

unless the webs were to act as a shock absorber?

That's how I took it.

Twilight - you aren't going to find many Skrull stories. Why? Because they are a cliche alien race and no one has ever been able to write them otherwise. That's why I love the premise of this story, more than House of M or Civil War. What if these cliched alien races got their crap together and decided to really try and take over Earth? I hope hope hope that Bendis explores this idea to the fullest. I'm a little nervous, but he has been fantastic on this book so far.

That's how I took it.

Twilight - you aren't going to find many Skrull stories. Why? Because they are a cliche alien race and no one has ever been able to write them otherwise. That's why I love the premise of this story, more than House of M or Civil War. What if these cliched alien races got their crap together and decided to really try and take over Earth? I hope hope hope that Bendis explores this idea to the fullest. I'm a little nervous, but he has been fantastic on this book so far.
I totally agree that this premise can be a whole lot better than HoM or Civil War. Just being teased alone is so much more intresting.

This whole secret Skrull invasion is pretty edgy, especially right now, and that art helps set the mood.

Say, couldn't the good doctor do some hocus pocus and find out who is and who isn't a Skrull? And if he can't, then he's probably a Skrull!

Last edited:

This whole secret Skrull invasion is pretty edgy, especially right now, and that art helps set the mood.

Say, couldn't the good doctor do some hocus pocus and find out who is and who isn't a Skrull? And if he can't, then he's probably a Skrull!

Even if he did....who's to say that he isn't a Skrull and his spell isn't just some pretty light show.

No one on the team knows how his powers work. They basically have to take him at his word.

Even if he did....who's to say that he isn't a Skrull and his spell isn't just some pretty light show.

No one on the team knows how his powers work. They basically have to take him at his word.

This is why I love the concept. Sure, there are plenty of people who should be able to tell...Strange, Wolverine...but they can't be trusted!

This is why I love the concept. Sure, there are plenty of people who should be able to tell...Strange, Wolverine...but they can't be trusted!

WE :heart: TEH BENDISESESES NU AVENJURS!

The only part of #32 that made me cringe was when Logan described Luke's old Powerman costume.

****ing Powerman. :x

But seriously....this is one of Bendis' best books. We all know that he excels in the street level stories---but New Avengers has been absolutely great (with a couple of the Civil War issues being the weaker exception).

I reread this issue just now and I swear I am practically giddy with anticipation of seeing how this will play out.

The only part of #32 that made me cringe was when Logan described Luke's old Powerman costume.

****ing Powerman. :x

But seriously....this is one of Bendis' best books. We all know that he excels in the street level stories---but New Avengers has been absolutely great (with a couple of the Civil War issues being the weaker exception).

I reread this issue just now and I swear I am practically giddy with anticipation of seeing how this will play out.

I hate to sound like a slappy, but I'm actually looking forward to this story, and with ZERO reservations. I don't remember the last time that happened, although I'm sure Proj will be glad to dig up some of my old posts to remind me.

I really love stories that go in and resurrect characters and make them viable again. Bendis has done a great job of this with Cage and Jessica Drew. When they do with with BAD characters like the Skrulls it's that much better.

I really love stories that go in and resurrect characters and make them viable again. Bendis has done a great job of this with Cage and Jessica Drew. When they do with with BAD characters like the Skrulls it's that much better.

Ditto.

I'm looking forward to his resurrecting The Hood.

I'd prefer if the Skrull thing only played out in New Avengers. It doesn't need to be some big massive stupid event, because those suck.

Unfortunately, they also make more money. I hate the comic industry.

Wolverine17.jpg

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.........

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha........

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....

Ha...

Dont...Tell...Mole...

Seriously though, New Avengers is probably the best book Marvel has out right now. I'm so excited for the Skrull conspiracy in tthe Marvel Universe. The only thing I want to know is who are the Skrulls impersonating?
Issue-32: 5/5
New Avengers: 8/5

WHY DID THE MOTHER****ING SKRULL DIE OF BEING STABBED?!!!!!

Nobody can answer this question!

The blade was a Skrull.

Seriously, the Hand's weapons are probably supernaturally powered. Maybe the Skrulls don't like magic. Or ninjas. What they're doing impersonating one, I have no idea.

Last edited:

WHY DID THE MOTHER****ING SKRULL DIE OF BEING STABBED?!!!!!

Nobody can answer this question!

I don't remember if you asked this in this thread and I am too lazy to go back and look, but didn't you ask something to the effect of...if the Skrulls are shapeshifters, why couldn't it shift its shape around the blade?

I would guess it's because shapeshifting is a concentrated act, not automatic. In other words, if the Skrull can be caught by surprise it wouldn't be able to adapt to a blade stabbing it.

If that's not what you asked...nevermind.

I don't remember if you asked this in this thread and I am too lazy to go back and look, but didn't you ask something to the effect of...if the Skrulls are shapeshifters, why couldn't it shift its shape around the blade?

I would guess it's because shapeshifting is a concentrated act, not automatic. In other words, if the Skrull can be caught by surprise it wouldn't be able to adapt to a blade stabbing it.

If that's not what you asked...nevermind.

I asked before, but I pointed out Xavin not dying of being shot in the Civil War miniseries and Tommy blowing up Skrulls in Young Avengers. They were in the middle of a battle, but so was Elektra-Skrull, and neither of them knew exactly how they were going to be attacked.

Seriously, the Hand's weapons are probably supernaturally powered. Maybe the Skrulls don't like magic. Or ninjas. What they're doing impersonating one, I have no idea.

I'll accept this just so I don't tear my hair out.

Eh, Bendis will probably explain it with something like "The Skrull actually thought it was Elektra, so it put vital organs there and didn't shift them away." It's just really bothering me that literally NO ONE ELSE is worried about this.

Last edited:

Yeah, me too.

I find the whole thing absurd, and alarmingly to type. Shock twists with no set up or explanation that just bizarrely end a story, and go into the next (which will also end in a nonsense shock twist). This is what Bendis does all the time.

Skrull conspiracy is definately a cool, exciting idea. Having Elektra, leader of the Hand, turn out to be a skrull (so that the Hand just let the Avengers leave with Echo because the fighting got dull), the Hand letting the New Avengers have the body, and no one questioning how a shapeshifter died from being stabbed but rather become childishly paranoid, then have a plane crash for no reason that, luckily, allows Spider-Woman to continue The Plot (tm), seems a bit crappy to me.

Why would the Hand let the Avengers take the body? The discover the head of their organisation that led them into a fight that has killed many of their order is actually an alien. Do they have intel on that race? Do they know how and when the infiltration was committed? If not - surely they WANT to and wouldn't (as it seems to be the case here) just let the Avengers have the body to do with as they want.

Also, these are the Avengers. Wolverine has been replaced with a Skrull 14.3 billion times. Why are they talking like role-players who don't know what to do next? Surely they'd be able to quickly work out a plan of action, and not ***** about it during a plane ride. They're Earth's Mightiest Heroes, not Earth's Most Popular N00bs. The whole issue was several costumed crime fighters sitting in a plane, talking, until it crashed.

I read the issue because I remembered people going on about how this began a big Marvel event, and my curiosity got the better of me. But I couldn't help but think that this was really poorly handled. :?

I'm with deleting those two posts and continuing the lovefest.

Latest posts

Back