I think that out of all the retcons in this run the one that I like the least is that Cassandra Nova isn't Ernst anymore.

I think the most disappointing thing is how little was done with Beak after. That eXiles run was terrible.
I liked Beak so much. He last appeared in the mini Vengeance, I believe. Though he is human now.

I think that out of all the retcons in this run the one that I like the least is that Cassandra Nova isn't Ernst anymore.

Was that ever confirmed my Grant Morrison? I seem to remember people thinking that's the case but it was never official.

Was that ever confirmed my Grant Morrison? I seem to remember people thinking that's the case but it was never official.

I can't see it not being his intention. Otherwise we have Stuff/Nova disappear at the end of Imperial, a similar looking completely innocent character show up, then get referenced by the missing one at the end of Here Comes Tomorrow. He works too tightly for that to not be a reveal.

Last edited:
I thought Beak was good on Exiles, though he didn't do much of anything except run around and be scared.

I just read the complete Exiles collection, and the Exiles was at it's best when it was a one off story.

Claremont didn't understand that, AT ALL.

I thought Beak was good on Exiles, though he didn't do much of anything except run around and be scared.

I just read the complete Exiles collection, and the Exiles was at it's best when it was a one off story.

Claremont didn't understand that, AT ALL.

I have the first 4 volumes of that from when my LCS had them 3 for 10. The quality went down pretty hard in v4

Well, I'm still rereading this. I just finished the Xorn stand-alone issue, and now I'm definitely sure Morrison made up Xorn's identity as Magneto much later on. Of course, there are the various hints and nods such as his talk about creating a new world in the annual, and only healing nano-sentinel infected people in Imperial, but...

In the one-shot, Xavier looks into Xorn's mind. Xorn asks him what he sees, and Xavier talks about how Xorn's brain is a star which holds incredible power, blah blah blah. How did Magneto trick Xavier into thinking that?

Also, Xorn goes after that monster thing. When he finds out the mother is committing suicide along with the child by overdosing on pills, he offers to heal them. If she had said yes, what would he have done then?

Later on, once the monster has been killed, and many people are injured (most of them from an explosion), it shows a panel of Xorn healing a person who has been knocked unconscious. How does he do it? Pretend to heal them?

Gah - so far, I'm pretty sure Morrison made Xorn Magneto when he needed an idea for a story. If I find any more hints that either agree or disagree with this notion, I'll post 'em.

I had to dig for this post because I remembered it while browsing through Grant Morrison's now-legendary X-Men Manifesto, and right in it he says Xorn (or the character who would become Xorn - he isn't mentioned by name) is secretly Magneto and would infiltrate the school for a year, raising a secret army of kids that he is teaching/indoctrinating.

I had never read the manifesto but when I saw that I remembered your skepticism at whether or not he actually intended Xorn to be Magneto from the beginning. He definitely did.

If I get a chance later I will type out the text of that section of the manifesto because the presentation is pretty good.

Latest posts

Back