ProjectX2 said:
So, Xorn's helmet keeps Xavier out of his head? Wouldn't Xavier be curious about that?

Not if he didn't feel like there was something up, which he apparently didn't.

ProjectX2 said:
EDIT: Is all of this stuff in his helmet? He just shot lasers from his eyes to start a fire...

I don't recall Morrison ever getting into specifics about the helmet, and I don't remember Xorn shooting fire out of his eyes, although I don't think that's unreasonable. I'm not sure if any of the other more horrible X-writers got into the details of Xorn's helmet and what it does or is capable of doing.

Which issue did he shoot fire out? I know they glow blue sometimes but fire...I don't remember anything like that.

But it would be reasonable for Magneto to use a modified version of his calssic helmet to keep Xavier out. As well as it being reasonable for Xavier to assume that he can't read the mind of a person who has a star for a brain. I mean he's not going to sit around going "I can't read Xorn's mind. Whats up with that? Does he even has a physical brain in there or is he a dismbrained-conciousness inside a mass of hydrogen?"

E said:
I don't recall Morrison ever getting into specifics about the helmet, and I don't remember Xorn shooting fire out of his eyes, although I don't think that's unreasonable. I'm not sure if any of the other more horrible X-writers got into the details of Xorn's helmet and what it does or is capable of doing.

Which issue did he shoot fire out? I know they glow blue sometimes but fire...I don't remember anything like that.

It was one of the issues in the "Riot at Xavier's" arc when Xorn took the special class out into the woods. He gathered a lot of wood and then you see these blue laser things come out of his eyes and start a fire. :?

I finished rereading New X-Men. It's not as good as I used to think it was. I still wish Frank Quitely had done more of the run, some of the fill in artists were horrible, and probably lessened the story experience.

And I thought Here Comes Tomorrow was dull.

I just reread the entire run. The more times you read it the better it gets.

This series is a beautiful masterpiece of so many levels.

Imperial and Here Comes Tomorrow are still the best ones.

So many good moments in this. I loved the scene with Jean and Logan ending to the sun.

Morrison created so many awesome things in this...

The U-Men
Nano-Sentiels
Cassandra Nova
Fantomex and Weapon Plus
Sublime
Stepford Cukoos
Kick.

It was all so amazing.

Expect I do have a problem with the Xorn-Magneto thing. It didn't make sense at the beginning. Who were the people that had him imprisoned? He could of hired them and stuff but the main thing was the issue focusing on Xorn in Mutant Town. It had thought boxes of Xorn thinking to himself in Xorness. If he's Magneto, then why would he think that? I see it trying to trick the reader but it kind of ruins it.

Last edited:
And when I reread it, I thought it got worse. You start to see different sides to the Xorn thing... sides that don't really fit together.

But I do love Emma Frost and the Stepford Cuckoos.

I just re-read the whole run and it was even better than I remembered it. I also feel like I "got it" more this time around.

I finished rereading New X-Men. It's not as good as I used to think it was. I still wish Frank Quitely had done more of the run, some of the fill in artists were horrible, and probably lessened the story experience.

I wish Quitely had done more too..the rest weren't too bad. Igor Kordey was absolutely terrible and his issues were some of the worst comic art I've ever seen. Ethan Van Sciver is ok but I didn't care for most of his work. Phil Jimenez was OK. I loved John Paul Leon's Xorn issue and wish he could've filled in more.

I just reread the entire run. The more times you read it the better it gets.

This series is a beautiful masterpiece of so many levels.

Imperial and Here Comes Tomorrow are still the best ones.

So many good moments in this. I loved the scene with Jean and Logan ending to the sun.

Morrison created so many awesome things in this...

The U-Men
Nano-Sentiels
Cassandra Nova
Fantomex and Weapon Plus
Sublime
Stepford Cukoos
Kick.

It was all so amazing.

Expect I do have a problem with the Xorn-Magneto thing. It didn't make sense at the beginning. Who were the people that had him imprisoned? He could of hired them and stuff but the main thing was the issue focusing on Xorn in Mutant Town. It had thought boxes of Xorn thinking to himself in Xorness. If he's Magneto, then why would he think that? I see it trying to trick the reader but it kind of ruins it.

And when I reread it, I thought it got worse. You start to see different sides to the Xorn thing... sides that don't really fit together.

But I do love Emma Frost and the Stepford Cuckoos.

There was just one Xorn thing I noticed that didn't line up with him being Magneto - when Scott finds Xorn at the monastery and he had just healed a bird...all of the other Xorn healings and non-healings were easily attributed to magnetic powers (destroying the Nano-Sentinels in their blood, not healing Quentin ("You were wrong to bring me here, Scott"). There was nothing to indicate how he could've healed that bird.

Imperial and Here Comes Tomorrow are definitely the best stories and 2 of my favorite stories ever. The last issue of Imperial is one of my favorite comics. Assault on Weapon Plus is also a lot better than I remembered it.

As hokey as it would've been, I would've totally accepted a "real" Xorn "returning" at the end of Secret Invasion or created/re-created by Wanda during/after House of M.

I loved Xorn and his special class. I loved all the things TGO listed. Every X-Men writer after Grant Morrison was somehow influenced by his run, one way or another. The only thing that could even come close to New X-Men was Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.

My posts seem really harsh in this thread... I do still have those problems with the series but it's still my favourite X-Men run ever. Nothing else has come close.

The Weapon X arc was completely awesome in this. Best use of Wolverine in a comic I think ever. (Though I haven't read Jason Aaron's Weapon X yet)

Marvel had a $.99 sale on most of the Morrison run - everything except Here Comes Tomorrow, for some stupid reason. I had all of these issues (since sold), TPBs (also sold) and Omnibus and I still bought a bunch of these - E for Extinction, Imperial, Riot at Xaviers, & Planet X - and reread them over the weekend. Every bit as good as I remember them. I want to reread Here Comes Tomorrow Now.

I just skimmed through this thread and it's almost infuriating how badly they ruined Xorn and everything that goes with him.

I have the Ultimate Collections of this. One of the strangest things I've ever read. The only mainstream comics run that I've read that was stranger than this was Grant Morrison's run on Batman and Final Crisis.

I love Morrison's run on X-Men, but I ****ing hated the art and cat-beast is by far the worst physical depiction of beast I've encountered, although that didn't stop Beast from being interesting.

Frank Quitely rules. I love cat Beast.

You know re-reading this is even better once you realize that the animals from We3 are intended to be Weapon Plus experiments.

Latest posts

Back