What's We3?

Oh, man. You have to read it. It's a collaboration between Morrison and Quitely and the best thing Grant has done with the possible exception of The Invisibles. It's like Homeward Bound but the animals have been turned into living weapons by a military laboratory and are being hunted as they try to find their way home.

I cry like a baby every time I read it.

I gotta say... I found WE3 to be exceptionally dull & manipulative. But I seem to be a minority on this. I should probably give it another read.

I gotta say... I found WE3 to be exceptionally dull & manipulative. But I seem to be a minority on this. I should probably give it another read.

You need a soul and feelings in order to fully appreciate it.

Having sold all the TPBs years ago I rebought this off of the comixology sale tonight. I re-read the first three issues.

1. I still hate quietly's art on this. People have hourglass heads.
2. I've been wondering for years what Professor X heard when he asks "are these words from the future". Its always seemed out of place there.
3. I miss Wolverine and Cyclops having a good working relationship. Sometimes you work best with the guy you don't really like.
4. They never really did anything with the secondary mutations after the first couple issues. What a waste.

Last edited:
Having sold all the TPBs years ago I rebought this off of the comixology sale tonight. I re-read the first three issues.

1. I still hate quietly's art on this. People have hourglass heads.
2. I've been wondering for years what Professor X heard when he asks "are these words from the future". Its always seemed out of place there.
3. I miss Wolverine and Cyclops having a good working relationship. Sometimes you work best with the guy you don't really like.
4. They never really did anything with the secondary mutations after the first couple issues. What a waste.

1. I LOVE Quitely's work but I agree he was off in these issues. I remember one rendition of Emma (I think it was a cover) where she was bizarrely skinny.

2. Wasn't that Jean reaching back to him through time? She says the same words in the White Hot Room at the end of the run.

4. Didn't Astonishing reveal that there weren't really such things as secondary mutations? Maybe I am misunderstanding things. Cassandra allowed Emma to turn to diamond to survive Genosha and made her forget about her telling her. That didn't explain Hank's secondary mutation though. I don't think anyone else had one...?

Secondary mutations are a thing. Marvel even mentioned it in this week's Wolverine & The X-Men talking about Hank.

There were some others, but not too many. Iceman also went through one, which Marvel reversed with House of M.

Last edited:
Secondary mutations are a thing. Marvel even mentioned it in this week's Wolverine & The X-Men talking about Hank.

There were some others, but not too many. Iceman Aldo went through one, which Marvel reversed with House of M.

I just re-read Astonishing and I was sure that Cassandra told Emma that she "created" her secondary mutation. In other words, it was not a natural mutation.

Did they retcon that?

E said:
I just re-read Astonishing and I was sure that Cassandra told Emma that she "created" her secondary mutation. In other words, it was not a natural mutation.

Did they retcon that?

Nope, no ones done anything with that.

So Emma's not natural, but the others are then, I guess.

Here are the pages I was referring to. I believe this is from Astonishing #16 but I could be off by an issue or two.

photo1-5.png

photo2-6.png

It does sound like she did it for Emma.

And when you think about it, it makes sense that one was "created" for her. The secondary mutations that have been dealt with had something to do with the person's mutation, but not Emma's. I used to wonder what diamonds had to do with telepathy and why that Emma's secondary mutation.

Last edited:
Wasn't Emma's the first secondary mutation that occurred?

It's weird that the first one that happened (assuming that's the case) was fake and the rest are supposed to be real. Kind of a stupid coincidence.

Wasn't Emma's the first secondary mutation that occurred?

It's weird that the first one that happened (assuming that's the case) was fake and the rest are supposed to be real. Kind of a stupid coincidence.
I thought it was Beast's that was the first one.

Last edited:
I think that out of all the retcons in this run the one that I like the least is that Cassandra Nova isn't Ernst anymore.

I think the most disappointing thing is how little was done with Beak after. That eXiles run was terrible.

Latest posts

Back