Planetary

Re: Maybe I'm an idiot... (Planetary spoilers)

Damn it all to hell

I picked up the first volume, and found it to be enjoyable

Once I get some money, I'll pick up the others.

Ultimate Houde said:
Damn it all to hell

I picked up the first volume, and found it to be enjoyable

Once I get some money, I'll pick up the others.

How many times do I have to remind you that you are a scientist?

You can build an army of evil robots to attack the local bookstore and steal copies for you.

Bass said:
As for Warren Ellis for being the Fourth Man.

Sorry, but I think it's a profoundly stupid idea. But I'm sure Compound will spin it in a way that will sound quite good.
First of all, I can't take credit for the idea -- I read about it on a Planetary-related site, before I read Vol. 2, and it made sense to me.

But the argument is built almost entirely on the events in the "Planet Fiction" story:

(1) Another mystery person escaped from the vessel that was launched into "fictionspace" -- somebody whose nature was shocking even to adventurers who have seen the most crazy, wonderous things. If the world of Planetary is populated by well-established "fictional" characters who are percieved as being "real", then the escapee from "Planet Fiction" might be a flesh-and-blood human being, from our world. Most likely Warren Ellis himself.

(2) In the same issue, we saw a flashback to the meeting between Ambrose and the Fourth Man. Chase says "But you're..." The continuation of the sentence, if it were Ellis, would be: "Not real."

Also, the Fourth Man says he likes "white suits". Ellis hismself must like "white suits", or else why would he design them for Elijah (and, in Stormwatch, Jenny Sparks)?

(3) Warren Ellis IS the Fourth Man, in a way, in the sense that it is his brain, his creativity, his reintetpretation of story ideas that allows Planetary -- the organization -- to do what they do. No Ellis, no Planetary. No Planetary, no Planetary. It's as simple as that.

It becomes even more interesting when you consider the question that John Stone posed to Snow in #11: why don't the Four just outright destroy Planetary, if they are so intent on ending the organization's meddling? Well, it could be that Dowling knew that the Fourth Man was his "creator", and thus, would not be able to defeat him by "conventional means". The Four would need to take control of the narrative itself, in order to win.

Okay, looking back on it now, the whole theory admittedly *does* seem rather daft...

... because the entire "Planet Fiction" project was revealed to be an ELABORATE HOAX orchestrated by The Four to bring the field team out of hiding, as disclosed in Planetary #24, released a few weeks ago. Elijah has known this since his memory was restored, but he's been withholding that information from Drummer and Jakita. Ambrose Chase died on a mission to uncover something that wasn't even a legitimate discovery! :(
(re: Planetary #24, released last month)

Last edited:

UltimateE said:
How many times do I have to remind you that you are a scientist?

You can build an army of evil robots to attack the local bookstore and steal copies for you.

Dude, I don't have the funds

Though I looked into the pension of being an evil scientist, and it ain't half bad.

Last edited:

Actually, one of the most interesting theories I had read about the Fourth Man -- developed prior to the revelation of his identity, obviously -- was that he would be a Batman/Bruce Wayne analog. Which *does* make sense, if you think about it...

* It furthers the DC vs. Marvel theme that was implicit in the conflict between Snow and the Four.

* It's just the kind of thing that the Dark Knight Returns/Kingdom Come two-steps-ahead-of-you master-strategist plotter Batman would do.

Of course, this was disproved even further by the actual Planetary-Batman crossover.

Now, are those crossovers actually part of the Planetary's actual storyline, or are they simply there for the sake of a crossover

compound said:
Okay, looking back on it now, the whole theory admittedly *does* seem rather daft...

Actually, the theory is quite clever and well thought out.

The problem with the theory is that if the Fourth Man is revealedin #12 as Ellis, the series ends with #13. There is no way that kind of story could last. The reality is too broken, making you far too aware that the story is just a story, and the series would quickly descend into arrogant pretentiousness and ego-pumping.

Morrison did it for onle one issue, and a page on the issue before. I honestly think the idea does make a wonderful sense, but if Ellis did it - it's the end of the series.

I do like the idea of the Batman/Bruce Wayne analog.

Also, Houde, the Batman/Planetary crossover is wicked. So is the JLA/Planetary crossover. They're just enjoyable. The JLA one is obviously not continuity, but the Batman one might be, I dunno. But they're both good.

A few non-spoiler questions.

1) I just read through Vol. 3 and it was awesome. Is there a release date for Vol. 4?

2) What is the latest issue? 24? 26?

3) How long is this going? I knew that originally it was planned for 24 issues but I vaguely remember Ellis saying in his newsletter that they would go a few issues past, but I don't remember if he said a final number.

UltimateE said:
1) I just read through Vol. 3 and it was awesome. Is there a release date for Vol. 4?

Dunno.

UltimateE said:
2) What is the latest issue? 24? 26?

UltimateE said:
3) How long is this going? I knew that originally it was planned for 24 issues but I vaguely remember Ellis saying in his newsletter that they would go a few issues past, but I don't remember if he said a final number.

I think #26 is the very end, and #27 is a coda.

Well people (Baxter) kept bugging me and I got into Gotham Central just as it gets cancelled, dagnabit.

Bass said:
Well people (Baxter) kept bugging me and I got into Gotham Central just as it gets cancelled, dagnabit.
I like cancelled comics. Its easier to fool people into thinking that cancelled comics are brilliant and trick them into making bad purchases as part of my grand scheme to coerce the globe into irresponsible cultural consumption.

Today I re-read the Sentry arc of New Avengers (which I do like) and realized it's a complete rip-off of Planetary/Elijah Snow. The whole mindwipe thing.

Maybe rip off is too strong a phrase, but it is very similar.

UltimateE said:
Today I re-read the Sentry arc of New Avengers (which I do like) and realized it's a complete rip-off of Planetary/Elijah Snow. The whole mindwipe thing.

Maybe rip off is too strong a phrase, but it is very similar.
Mindwipes aren't that uncommon.

moonmaster said:

BASS!!!! MOONIE IS STICKING UP FOR BENDIS!!!

moonmaster said:
Yeah, there is so much mindwipes in comics nowadays. I remember before the...
Oh i remember... before the mindwipes start...I can remember!

*Zatanna appears with a big hammer* "Gnihtyreve Tegrof"

Latest posts

Back