Planetary

I bought volume 1 today. I was amazed at how good it was. I mean, my God, the concepts they throw out there, and all the throwbacks and tributes... it's done pretty much perfectly!

Though I couldn't see this as a movie, were it a novel it would probably be one of the best novels ever written.

Ultimate Houde said:
I have a question

Has the creature the 'fictionauts' brought back from that world been found yet, or is it still running around somewhere?

I presume it's still running around. What issue or volume was that in again?

Ultimate Houde said:
I have a question

Has the creature the 'fictionauts' brought back from that world been found yet, or is it still running around somewhere?
This was explicitly addressed in #24, which was released in February. If you *really* want to know the answer, it's written behind the spoiler tag...

There was no creature brought back by the fictonauts. The entire Project Fiction was an elaborate hoax designed by the Four to lure out the Planetary field team. This is why Snow feels so guilty about Ambrose's death -- he basically died for nothing!

Yeah, I felt it was a cop-out explanation, too. But it fits in nicely with a lot of the other explanations given in #24.

Snow has known it was a hoax ever since he was abducted by the Four (when he recieved the memory blocks).

compound said:
This was explicitly addressed in #24, which was released in February. If you *really* want to know the answer, it's written behind the spoiler tag...

There was no creature brought back by the fictonauts. The entire Project Fiction was an elaborate hoax designed by the Four to lure out the Planetary field team. This is why Snow feels so guilty about Ambrose's death -- he basically died for nothing!

Yeah, I felt it was a cop-out explanation, too. But it fits in nicely with a lot of the other explanations given in #24.

Snow has known it was a hoax ever since he was abducted by the Four (when he recieved the memory blocks).

Whoops - I that he was talking about something else.

^ he's right.

#25 out today.

5/5

Brilliant, beautiful, and ingenious. :D

Spoilers: Turns out John Stone was, at one point, working for the Four. He purposely freed Elijah from the mental blocks in order to get back at the Four, because he was humiliated that the Four reamed him for losing the travelstone that Jim Wilder escaped on.

Turns out Stone also has a bomb in him, as well as a com device presumably transmitting back to the Four (they are in the bar and safe from prying ears, though).

Stone tries to get away and is subdued. They capture him and operated, also removing the Devil's Paw he wore in place of his hand and used to attack Jakita. Injured from the surgery (as well as prolonged exposure to cold as Elijah had to freeze the bomb Stone had in him), he agreed to cooperate and tell Snow what he knew of the Four. Specifically, how they got their powers.

Turns out, Randall made a deal with an superpowered alien civilization from an alternate Earth, in which he agreed to sell the human race in exchange for powers, which they could use to basically live in the bleed and it's alternate universes. The time to collect is 50 years - and it was 1961.

Brilliant stuff. Can't wait for #26.

Ultimate Houde said:
So the they'll eat the planet in the year 2011?

No - them arriving in 2011 is considered "best case scenario". It could happen at any time. And they have referenced that it is the 21st century.

Ultimate Houde said:
So the they'll eat the planet in the year 2011?

That makes no sense, isn't it 1999 in the comic right now?

I thought the comic had passed the new millenium, but that doesn't make sense if they're coming in 2011. It's like they have to wait 10 more years for them to come.

Just realised E posted.

Planetary. Is. Awesome.

I loved this issue. I at first, thought there was a proper "John Stone is the villain vibe" until I realised he was just putting on a show for the Four.

The alternate Earth was INCREDIBLE. I just stopped on that page. Best work John Cassady did in the series. I wonder what the reference/literary nod to it is? To me... after ruminating, it looked a bit like Apokalips, the home of Darkseid in the DCU, but I honestly don't know. I'd love for someone to tell me the references used in this issue.

The Four's conspiracy is superb, and I'm assuming #26 will be the defeat of Dowling and the Four, with #27, the so-called "Coda" detailing what happens when the aliens come to Earth as a kind of flashforward, or perhaps, it's set even further into the future, say 20 or 30 years, and it's a flashback. I'm certain that will be the basis of the Coda - perhaps even the climax to the huge battle and we see Elijah, reunited with Ambrose, stopping the aliens at a kind of last stand. We'll see.

But a very, very enjoyable issue.

That alternate Earth is scary ****. And so is Dowling.

Also, we know Planetary is in the 21st century for a while because Jenny Sparks has been known to be dead, though there is no mention of Jenny Quantum.

Bass said:
I loved this issue. I at first, thought there was a proper "John Stone is the villain vibe" until I realised he was just putting on a show for the Four.

Yeah, that was awesome how that was set up. I thought I was smart because my first thought was, " I KNEW something was going on with Stone!" :lol:

Bass said:
The alternate Earth was INCREDIBLE. I just stopped on that page. Best work John Cassady did in the series. I wonder what the reference/literary nod to it is? To me... after ruminating, it looked a bit like Apokalips, the home of Darkseid in the DCU, but I honestly don't know. I'd love for someone to tell me the references used in this issue.

Me too. I would also like to know where the Devil's Paw comes from. I don't catch a lot of the more obscure stuff. There's a site that does Planetary issues reviews - hopefully they'll have something. I have to find the link...

Bass said:
The Four's conspiracy is superb

YES. One thign i didn't care for about this series was the notion that the Four were hording all this power and the such just so they could have it...beautiful twist.

Bass said:
And so is Dowling.

Total freak. One of the best villains ever.

E said:
Me too. I would also like to know where the Devil's Paw comes from. I don't catch a lot of the more obscure stuff. There's a site that does Planetary issues reviews - hopefully they'll have something. I have to find the link...

YES. Show me link. I dunno where the Devil's Paw is from, but it sounded familiar, perhaps mentioned earlier in Planetary. But that planet - yeesh. Nightmare.

E said:
YES. One thign i didn't care for about this series was the notion that the Four were hording all this power and the such just so they could have it...beautiful twist.

I was pissed off with them for hoarding stuff and keeping us mediocre, let alone discovering that they kept us mediocre to sell us out to an alternate posthuman Earth so they could roam the multiverse doing whatever they want. Bastards.

AND! Ha ha! **** you Jacob Greene! Enjoy your eternity lost in space, ****-*****! :D They deserve all the blam they're gonna get.

This is awesome.

One of the best issues yet. Planetary Reed just freaks me the hell out. Once this finishes, I'm collecting the whole series in trades.

I was so right about Apokalips and the Inhumans. Yeah, baby.

Also, I forgot about Chase. I'm assuming he'll be in the coda.

When is #26 out? I wannit.

A last point of general interest this issue was the concept of The Four having fifty years before giving over our earth, or roughly by 2011. Since that date is much to far off to coincide with the end of the series (yeah, I know, I shouldn't tempt fate like that), I'm going to guess that it's a passing reference to the theory that the world will end December 21, 2012. The Mayan calendar ends there, and Terrence McKenna (whose work was heavily reflected in Issue 21) had a modified theory on the end of time that was based in part on the Mayan calendar. Grant Morrison's series The Invisibles used this timeframe as one of its primary thematic elements, too, and it's reasonable to expect that Ellis is familiar with that series. This isn't a critical plot point either way, really, but at the very least it's an intriguing near-coincidence. If done intentionally, it's a nice touch!

:shock:

AWESOME.

Latest posts

Back