Punisher MAX (Ennis #1-60) Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: Punisher MAX Series Discussion *Spoilers*

thee great one said:

Only cause Nick Fury should always be written that way.

If you love him in that...you'll love him in Fury. Ennis wrote this as well and I think it's flippin great!!!! Probably the best I've ever Fury I've ever read....especially with the last final pages.

Last edited:

yeah damn that Fury TPB was good

I read the Slavers today and the first 3 issues of Barracuda, so I'm finally caught up.

I can't wait to see how he handles this shark. That is so hardcore.

This is all-around the best Marvel book out there, by far.

E said:
I read the Slavers today and the first 3 issues of Barracuda, so I'm finally caught up.

I can't wait to see how he handles this shark. That is so hardcore.

This is all-around the best Marvel book out there, by far.

See....Slavers is by far the best arc this book has had. It was so good that it's making this Barracuda arc seem dull. I mean we're 3 issues in and Frank just got owned by a guy who just had his fingers chopped off and his eye stabbed out.

It's good to see Frank humbled like that every now and then. It reminds you that he's still just human.

Victor Von Doom said:
See....Slavers is by far the best arc this book has had.

Really? I thought "Up is Down and Black is White" was by far the best. As good as "Slavers" was it is probably the weakest arc yet. That's how good this book is.

And I'm loving the art on "Barracuda" - I wasn't sure at first but it has this warm retro look to it that I'm really into.

The Tyger

Summary:
We open to a snowy night with Castle on a roof. As with every issue--a lot of inner monolouge. He says "They'll blame it on Vietam. And they'll be right. And they'll be wrong." That statement right there sets the tone and lesson for the entire issue.

Frank looks down at a larg gathering of people. Mob bosses and underbosses. He sizes up the area and thinks about how the police will know it was him.

Flashback to 1960.

Frank Castle is 10 years old. He witnesses a man on fire running thru the factory yard. His father spots him watching this and sends Frank on his way.

Later that night Frank eavesdrops on his parents talking about the situation. Frank's dad says the guy lit a cigarette in a room filled with all kinda gases. His mother thinks differently. We learn that Frank was a quite child. He found being quiet was easier than asking questions. It was also by being quiet that Frank learned that his mother cried herself to sleep over his stillborn brother. And how he know where dad kept the keys to his lockbox.

Frank's dad thinks his son is fruity because Frank likes poetry. :lol:

Cut to a couple days later we see Frank talking to his first crush. Lauren. He meets up with Lauren and she runs into the apt to grab her notes. Lauren's older brother steps outside and talks to Frank. Sal is in the Marines and home on leave. He says the only reason he comes home is to keep an eye on his sister. He knows Frank has a crush on her and gives Frank a couple bucks to buy her a milkshake.

Later we see Frank in a poetry class taught by Father David. The poem is called "The Tyger" by William Blake (love that poem). Frank and the Father disagree on what the meaning of this poem is. The moral of this scene is where Frank learns the difference between God's law...and the laws of man.

After class Frank and Lauren are walking home and they see a girl they know committ suicide by stepping out in front of a car.

Cut to 3 weeks later. Frank is meeting Lauren again and they're walking down the street. That's when we are introduced to the local mob family. The Rosas. The one face that's pointed out is a young guy named Vincent. He smiles at Lauren and she blushes. Frank sees this but doesn't know what it means. Kids.... :roll:

Frank and Lauren are at the museum Frank is fixated on several "predators". Lauren asks "Why do boys always like monsters?" She kisses him on the cheek. Frank has just discovered girls. :D

Later on we see Frank confronting a bully. Frank punches the bully and and saves the day for some kids. One of the kids is the little brother to the girl who killed herself earlier. Come to find out that Vincent forced himself on the girl and she got pregnant. She had to go away for a bit but when she came back...no more baby and she was to never speak of it again.

In class we see Frank staring at Lauren. She begins to cry and runs outta class. That evening Frank stops by Lauren's house to see if she's ok. Lauren's dad answers the door and tells Frank that she's asleep. As he tells Frank this, Lauren's mother yells for Lauren's dad to come quick. Lauren just slit her wrists from the elbow down.

Back at home Frank's family hears about it and his dad tells mom to just be quiet. It's implied that Vincent is forcing himself on girls all over the neighborhood but no one will do anything. She gets mad that no one will stand up to the Rosa family. Frank's dad sets her straight. He says that a group of guys from the hood gathered together to confront the Rosas. The boss let them say their peace then broke every finger of one of the guys in the group. Frank overhears this and goes to his dad's lockbox to get his dad's gun.

Frank hides in the alley across from where Vincent is hanging out. A thug tells Vincent that some girl just called for him and said to meet her in front of the local drugstore. VIncent leaves and heads for the store. Frank follows him.

When Vncent gets to the store, Lauren's brother Sal shows up and beats the piss outta Vincent. Sal drags Vincent to the graveyard where he dug an empty grave. Sal throws Vincent into the grave and pours gasoline on Vincent. Sal lights a cigarette and tosses it on Vincent. All the while Frank is watching in the shadows. He watches Sal stand there in front of the flames. All Frank can think is "Tyger".

The next morning cops show up and start to investigate. Sal is never found out. Frank never sees Sal again until his first tour of Vietnam. Sal was KIA and all Frank saw of him was the body.

On Frank's second your he is hiking thru the jungle and comes across a tiger staring him down. To this day...Frank doesn't know if what he saw was real or not.

Cut to present time with Frank on the roof in the snow.

Frank snipes all the mob bosses and thugs. After his work is done...he leaves. He thinks "They'll blame it on Vietnam. And they'll be right. And they'll be wrong."

We get a few jet black pages with only word bubbles. The conversation is what Frank was hearing when his family was murdered.

It ends with Frank taking the place of the Tyger in poem.

Hotness. Pure hotness. All this one-shot does is show you a small part of what made him what he is today.

I didn't like the art. Too retro looking for me. But pure hotness nonetheless.

5/5

To fully understand the meaning of the Tyger read the poem here.

Last edited:

The Tyger was one of the most beautifully poetic comics I've ever read.

I don't have much more to add than that - Vic's summery covered it pretty darn well.

5/5

E said:
The Tyger was one of the most beautifully poetic comics I've ever read.

So true. I just thought the art was bleh. Had it been the normal artist---great. Since it was a special one-shot if Bradstreet could've done the whole thing---classic.

Victor Von Doom said:
So true. I just thought the art was bleh. Had it been the normal artist---great. Since it was a special one-shot if Bradstreet could've done the whole thing---classic.

And since it had been delayed from December - it should have been Bradstreet.

Victor Von Doom said:

That would have been awesome.

I do agree that the art was lacking. I'm not a huge fan of the guy that does the regular book (Fernandez?) but it's decent...this was a step down from that.

This was a rare instance where I didn't feel like the lackluster art took away from the story. It was that good.

E said:
This was a rare instance where I didn't feel like the lackluster art took away from the story. It was that good.

Indeed.

Even though I hated the art...it didn't detract from the story. It never distracted me from the story.

But the art did make me want a can of Campbell's soup. :?

O
M
G

So Frank has faced some tough guys before.......but no one can hold a candle to Barracuda. No one. I know some people have no clue about who Barracuda is and they wanna throw some other names in there. But no one can be as badass as 'Cuda. No one.

Jigsaw? Frank may as well be fighting Corky from "Life Goes On".

The Gnucci Family? Frank vs The Chipmunks and Chippettes.

The Russian? Close.....but still no cigar.

Here is an excerpt from #34 on how lethal 'Cuda is-----WARNING: This is really extreme......but you're in a Punisher MAX thread...so you asked for it.

Big Bad Businessman said:
20-something years ago I was convicted of insider trading in the state of CA, and was unlucky enough to come before a judge whose politics leaned somewhat to the left.

The law, it was explained to me, existed to punish the rich right alongside the poor. An example was to be made, and I was sent to a maximum security prison.

On my first day, 2 men made clear their intention to rape me as soon as an opportunity presented itself. I, naturally, gave the matter some serious thought.

I made enquiries and learned that the most notorious inmate in the prison was a man known as Barracuda. I approached him and made him an offer.

I told him who I was and the kind of money I had waiting for me upon my release. He had a number of contacts on the outside and, so it was not difficult for him to check my story.

Very soon, the 2 men I mentioned were found with their eyelids sewn shut. Each man's eyesockets turned out to contain the other's testicles.

Their eyes were never found.

They lived.

In the last issue, 'Cuda fought Frank and here's the list of what Frank did to him:
  • Knocked out several of his teeth
  • Stabbed him in the eye with a knife
  • Chopped off 4 of his fingers on his right hand
  • Choked him with barbwire

.....and 'Cuda still kicked Frank's ***.

I love this book. I wanna marry this book and have this book's babies. I :heart: Punisher MAX.

Pitts, Russian, The Mongolian. They were some of the best.

Pitts was a old hardcore ****er.

The Tyger was great. I enjoyed it. The Punisher loves poetry. That's awesome.

A-

FINALLY got to read part 4 of Barracuda today.

Wow.

Each guy had his eyes removed and the other guy's balls in their place, and the eyelids sewn shut? Unbelievable. Barracuda is sick, sick, sick.

Is this arc his first appearance? I've never heard of him before this.

Frank feeding the guy to the shark was awesome.

5/5

yeah man how ****in good is punisher MAX. consistently good. ****in flawless baby

E said:
FINALLY got to read part 4 of Barracuda today.

Wow.

Each guy had his eyes removed and the other guy's balls in their place, and the eyelids sewn shut? Unbelievable. Barracuda is sick, sick, sick.

Is this arc his first appearance? I've never heard of him before this.

Frank feeding the guy to the shark was awesome.

5/5

Barracuda is awesome!!!! I wanna say I've seen him before in the series but with dreadlocks and as a minor character.......but I might be wrong.

supermusli said:
I´ve been meaning to read these for a while... are they available in hardcover?

Not harcover. But they are in TPB. There are 5 volumes available now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back