Runaways Vol. 2 #1-24 (Brian K. Vaughan/Adrian Alphona) (spoilers)

Re: Runaways series discussion (spoilers)

One of the things that we learn about the older Wilder is that he's from the year 85', already married to miss Wilder, but hasn't yet conceived Alex yet. and has been with the pride for about a year (i could be wrong) and so he knows how to use the decoder ring, and that its written that one of the runaways will die. but when the gang try and ask him stuff about it, he tells them its best that they do not know.

He also had them "borrow" some items from old Pride, and has the people use them and stuff.

Dear Brian K Vaughan.

If you kill of Molly, I will burn down your house and kill your children.

If you don't have children I will get samples of your DNA, and the DNA of your wife/lover/girlfriend/high school sweetheart/favourite pet/your right hand and create a plethora of Vaughanian children made from said DNA samples in test tubes, whom I will burn and kill.

The same goes for Victor.

Don't make me do this. I'm lazy and can't be bothered. But man, I'd think about it.

Sincerely,
Me

Bass said:
Dear Brian K Vaughan.

If you kill of Molly, I will burn down your house and kill your children.

If you don't have children I will get samples of your DNA, and the DNA of your wife/lover/girlfriend/high school sweetheart/favourite pet/your right hand and create a plethora of Vaughanian children made from said DNA samples in test tubes, whom I will burn and kill.

The same goes for Victor.

Don't make me do this. I'm lazy and can't be bothered. But man, I'd think about it.

Sincerely,
Me

the clues are there, but where?

and how do they send him back?

He has a daughter, called Nico. So you can't really kill off her now can you?

Good issue. I really like how BKV used a lot of 80's slang in Wilder's dialouge. Or maybe I was the only one to catch that............or maybe I'm the only one who cares. Whatever.....

I can't wait to find out the end of the arc to see who dies. I think it would be pretty fitting that since he was "activated" ahead of schedule...Victor's fate would not be to become Victorious....but instead to really be a hero. But also have the statement made back in the first arc about Gert being the only expendable one to come true. Since Vic doesn't become the villain....her "death destiny" changes.

I don't know.....I'm just talking outta my *** here.....

Meh issue, i liked the beggining, but the way they put the runaways against each other... seems too much forced.
And i agree with Bass, if Molly or Victor goes down, ill hunt down that bald *** of BKV.

Nico must live. I don't care about the rest.

It was a good issue.

Victor is having nightmares and the Pride showed that he can be controlled.

Interesting.

B+

Victor Von Doom said:
I really like how BKV used a lot of 80's slang in Wilder's dialouge. Or maybe I was the only one to catch that............or maybe I'm the only one who cares. Whatever.....
Nope. I totally noticed that, as well. Awesome to the max!

And speaking of the 80s, the whole dynamic between Chase and Victor is beginning to remind me a lot of the bonding that Sam Guthrie/Cannonball and Robbie DaCosta/Sunspot had in the 80s version of the New Mutants (pre-X-Force).

In fact, the Runaways -- at a glance -- resemble the 80s New Mutants team, if you think about it: predominantly female, with a long-haired blonde chick, an Asian girl, a Latino guy, a white boy, sentient technology, etc.

Though I hope Alphona's art doesn't seem as dated as this, fifteen years from now:

first.jpg

Last edited:

The entire "Which Runaway Dies?" gimmick feels like Vaughn shamelessly -- but lovingly -- embracing one of the hugest cliches of the superhero comic genre. Taking a dramatic plot event, and spinning it into marketing hype, but with a generous helping of self-referential nudge-nudge wink-wink irony.

Because of that approach, I'm convinced that which ever Runaway dies is also the one most likely to be resurrected, later on in the series, perhaps in a drastically altered form:

* Nico, since she has a magickal escape clause. Granted, the Staff of One functions in a very precise way, with specific rules about how it can be used. But the whole idea of her powers being magic-oriented leaves plenty of wriggle-room for beyond-the-grave appearances.

* Karolina, because her alien nature may mean that her mortal human form may not be her 'real' mode of existence.

* Victor, because he could -- theoretically -- be rebuilt or reprogrammed, if destroyed.

* Old Lace, because she's a genetically engineered clone, to begin with, meaning a super-genius could always make a new dino for Gert, if they had the appropriate technology.

Will that be gratuitous? Oh yes, definitely.

Will it cheapen the death? In all likelihood, yes.

But I think Vaughn will go ahead and do it anyway, because he loves messing around with the conventions of the comic genre here, just like he does in Ex Machina sometimes
(e.g.
Hundred's self-declared arch-nemesis; Leto's desire to become "The Great Machine II"
, etc.)

Last edited:

compound said:
The entire "Which Runaway Dies?" gimmick feels like Vaughn shamelessly -- but lovingly -- embracing one of the hugest cliches of the superhero comic genre.
Who says it's him? Who says it's not an editor or someone else?

Ice said:
Who says it's him? Who says it's not an editor or someone else?
Oh, I'm not blaming him for it, at all. I think he's having fun with the idea!

And I'm not just talking about how it's being marketed either.

It extends into the very basic stuff, like the cover design for #18, which rather blatantly plays up the speculation about which kid is going to bite it.

I'm fairly certain that BKV must have a certain degree of creative control over something as basic as a cover design.

It may not have been his idea to use the planned death as a sales-boosting device, but he seems to be whole-heartedly supporting it in his creative decisions.

Like I said, it's not necessarily a bad thing. It piques interest. And he's integrated the prophecy of the character's death as seamlessly into the actual storyline as possible, so it doesn't feel gratuitous or excessive, at this point.

But the very premise, and how it's being presented -- even at this early stage -- feels like a set-up for the dying character's eventual return, in a different form.

compound said:
Oh, I'm not blaming him for it, at all. I think he's having fun with the idea!

And I'm not just talking about how it's being marketed either.

It extends into the very basic stuff, like the cover design for #18, which rather blatantly plays up the speculation about which kid is going to bite it.

I'm fairly certain that BKV must have a certain degree of creative control over something as basic as a cover design.

It may not have been his idea to use the planned death as a sales-boosting device, but he seems to be whole-heartedly supporting it in his creative decisions.

Like I said, it's not necessarily a bad thing. It piques interest. And he's integrated the prophecy of the character's death as seamlessly into the actual storyline as possible, so it doesn't feel gratuitous or excessive, at this point.

But the very premise, and how it's being presented -- even at this early stage -- feels like a set-up for the dying character's eventual return, in a different form.

Compound's subnic should be fanboy killer. He sucks all of the apparent fun out of a story and brings us back to reality.

Anywho I like the thoughts as always Compound. Especially about Vic and being deprogrammed.

It will be Gert or Chase. HERE IS WHY!

all of compound's reasons point to Chase and Karolina as the two most obvious choices. when I thought about this, I came to the same conclusion.

However, on the civil war covers, I'm not sure which, the Runaways are shown. Gert and Chase are not there.

Could be a red herring, but to me, it's just more proof that Chase is gonna bite it. He's been screaaaaaaming it through his actions the whole damn arc.

The most obvious is never the one. Or so it seems when BKV is behind it all. And covers....ha!! Funny guy you are.

I say it might be Gert. I dunno why, but if it is her, it could (*hopefully*<--wishful thinking) build up Chase character. I'm not really sure, but I just don't want it to be Chase.

Latest posts

Back