Runaways Vol. 2 #1-24 (Brian K. Vaughan/Adrian Alphona) (spoilers)

Re: Runaways series discussion (spoilers)

The Runways Death Manifesto

In issue #18 of the "second season" of Runaways, one member on the cover will supposedly die. The people on the cover are:

Molly Hayes, Chase Stein, Gert Yorkes, Nico Minoru, Victor Mancha, Karolina Dean, and Old Lace.

Following this, here are my short reasons and predictions to why or why not one of these people should die.

Molly Hayes
She's a child, and essentially the heart and soul of the team. She's been there since the beginning, provides the extra strength this group of Runaways needs, and everyone loves her. Besides, you can't kill off a little mutant girl, can you? It's mutant racism.

Chase Stein
He's also been here since the beginning, and doesn't have any powers. He goes out with Gert, but has also resisted Nico. He is one of the most vulnerable members of the team, and when Future Gert came back from the Future, she left a hint: "All those years, and I never told you how much I loved you…" Could this be the end of the line for Chase?

Gert Yorkes
Gert is probably the biggest outcast on the team, and has no powers of her own. However, she is connected to her pet Velociraptor, Old Lace. She is the leader of the Avengers, so if she dies now, that's going to muck up the future timeline quite a bit. The question is, if she dies, what happens to Old Lace?

Nico Minoru
Since Alex died, Nico has apparently been the leader of the team. She lost the boy she loved, rejected Karolina, and may now be falling for Chase. She has not been hinted at in the future, so it is unknown whether she is alive or dead. However, since the Pride is back, they may wish to avenge Alex's death.

Victor Mancha
Relatively new to the cast, and we still have to see a lot of him. In the future he's the worst supervillain ever, but in the past he's a good hearted kid. Gert and him may be getting closer, and if he dies now then it's one less love triangle we have to worry about.

Karolina Dean
She's been engaged to a Skrull in space for the last few issues, but is apparently returning to earth. She's been rejected by Nico, but they still seem to be good friends. When Future Gert came back, she said: "Karolina's still here, must be 2005…" This was before the Skrull took her into space, and that could apply to that, or it could be something more foreshadowing…

Old Lace
Not much to say about her, she's a Velociraptor that has a connection with Gert. If Gert dies, will Old Lace die? If Old Lace dies, will Gert die?

This has all been done by memory, and I've probably forgotten stuff, but I hope it helps us determine which Runaways is going to bite the bullet.

So, I think the major options are…

Chase Steins and Karolina Dean.

I'm not sure who, but I think one of those will die. Of course, not many people chose Alex to being the mole, so BKV could have pulled the wool over our eyes again.

Where are the pictures? The long-drawn out conclusions? The points based on evidence?

Pff.

Amateur.

Bass said:
Where are the pictures? The long-drawn out conclusions? The points based on evidence?

Pff.

Amateur.

At least I do the work.

ProjectX2 said:
Old Lace
Not much to say about her, she's a Velociraptor that has a connection with Gert. If Gert dies, will Old Lace die? If Old Lace dies, will Gert die?
No. No no no no no. Old Lace is not a Velociraptor. She is a Deinonychus. This error hurts the credibility of your whole manifesto.

Last edited:

vintsukka said:
No. No no no no no. Old Lace is not a Velociraptor. She is a Deinonychus. This error hurts the credibility of your whole manifesto.

****, I forgot about that.

This obviously means Old Lace is an imposter. She must die!

Ultimate Houde said:

some useful info:

NRAMA: As you said, Nico is reluctantly the leader of the team – why? Alex wasn't…in the end…the best of leaders. Is it a thing with being in charge?

BKV: Right. She's definitely not comfortable being in charge, I think because she knows it's inevitable that at least one of the Runaways is going to die in battle sooner or later, and she'd quite understandably rather not have that blood on her hands.

NRAMA: And as for the uncomfortable-ness between Chase and Nico?

BKV:
They snogged, as the Brits say. Nico kissed Chase in the heat of the moment, but ever-loyal Chase pushed her away. Her mistake is their secret. Who knows when that bomb under the table will go off, if ever?

NRAMA
: And also, with Alex's betrayal and death…the other kids still have some…trust issues, to put it mildly, right? Is it accurate to say they're focused on Vic?

BKV:
Yeah, nobody trusts Kid Ultron. Everyone is suspicious of poor Victor, and as we'll soon learn, not without good reason

kid Ultron.....wonder what he goinging do?

NRAMA: As for bringing Geoffrey back - was this Alex's plan, but disguised, or is this just a screwup, and they grabbed the first dead Wilder they could find?

BKV: Excellent question.

NRMA: While we're still talking about the resurrection, there's been some confusion as to the when of it all….so when did the resurrection scene at the end of issue #14 take place?

BKV: After the end of our first "season," and a month or so before the first issue of our relaunch.[

NRAMA: And this is Geoffrey as a teen, not an adult?

BKV: He's a little older, actually. He's a young man here, and we'll learn exactly what year he was snatched from next issue.

thats alwasys good info to know.

NRAMA: Still, that said, how do they view others in the Marvel Universe now? They're not on the radar, obviously, but still…do they feel part of the larger community of powered individuals, or are they still outsiders?

BKV: Whether they wear a costume or not, I think all adults are seen as enemies until proven otherwise by the Runaways. It's not always the smartest policy, but it's hard to blame the kids for being suspicious of authority figures after all they've been through. So yeah, both emotionally and geographically, I think the Runaways are still the biggest outsiders in the Marvel Universe.

mmmm....interseting

NRAMA: How did that issue (FCBD) get off the ground? After all, for years, Marvel had seemed pretty content to repackage previously released comics for FCBD, and here is a brand new one…

BKV: Well, Whedon's Astonishing X-Men really hasn't been selling so well, so I guess Marvel figured they could goose the numbers on his little book with a gratuitous guest appearance by the red-hot Runaways.

NRAMA: Which is to say, you just got the call asking you to write it?

BKV: Which is to say I just got the call asking me to write it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: thats just funny as hell :lol: :lol:
NRAMA: Obviously, not writing off Adrian's importance to the series at all, but at this point, what's the collaboration between you and Adrian like? One mind in two bodies, or still words are all from you, and Adrian's got the pictures?

BKV: Yeah, I trust Adrian like a brother at this point, so I send him scripts with all of the dialogue but pretty bare-bones panel descriptions, and he knows exactly how to bring the story to life. He is all of these characters, so I never have to "direct" their performances. Adrian already knows. Plus, he comes up with all of the cool background "Easter eggs" that Runaways readers love. Like the late Seth Fisher, Adrian is truly one of a kind. It's hard to see any influences in his work beyond his own massive imagination. I love that there's nothing else on the stands that looks or feels like his art. It's a thrill to get his pages every week.

damn...thats more trust than i would have for people, so that means when a guest fills in....BKV has to WORK ;)

Runaways #15 (Parental Guidance)

Chase and Vic talk about their feelings... *see preview*

The Nu Pride's hacked into Victor and see everything from his p.o.v. The team sincerely thinks they're the good guys and The Runaways are evil. Geoffery only lets them watch things that make them look bad like Chase saying **** about Alex. They sort've question Mr. Wilder but not much.

The girls have a slumber party where Nico says if anything happens to her, Gert should be leader because she's destined to lead the Avengers someday. Gert declines and says Destiny's for chumps. Chase and Vic walk in and tell them there's a super-villain attack somewhere.

That somewhere is Wilder's mansion. They're greeted by "Alex", who Nico quickly interoggates. Once Wilder can't answer the question, Nico uses a spell to "reveal" the imposter. The kids recognize the face of Geoffery but can't quite be sure who it is. Geoffery calls the Nu Pride out who take the "reveal" spell as a direct attack. They decomission Vic and then distract the other Runaways by revealing the kiss between Nico and Chase. Gert subconsciously attacks Nico useing Old Lace. As Gert tries to get her off of her, the team turns and notices Molly's missing.

Molly's been kidnapped by The Nu Pride.

4.5/5

Lots of interesting Dialogue that I can't repeat but it's good stuff. Read it.

What are they binding Molly with?

I figured she could kick any of their asses, since none of them are high powered

Ah...okay, so that makes some sense. So, does this mean Geoff might have some tech still hanging around from the old days?

Okay, I quicky glanced through the book at the LCS, so sorry if I'm asking stupid questions.

I know how much you hate that

Latest posts

Back