Runaways Vol. 2 #1-24 (Brian K. Vaughan/Adrian Alphona) (spoilers)

Re: Runaways series discussion (spoilers)

I finished the Volume One 18 issue run.

6/5

Runaways is officially my favorite Marvel title.

I guessed that Alex was the mole about an issue and a half before it was revealed (maybe more, I can't remember) but Vaughan made everything work since, even though Alex was essentially the main character, he had fleshed out all the other characters so that the book won't feel like you can't find a main person to identify with; the main character is the entire team now.

I read about seven issues today so I am taking a short break before I start #1-6 of Volume 2. Maybe I'll start tomorrow or tomorrow night.

ultimatedjf said:
I finished the Volume One 18 issue run.

6/5

Runaways is officially my favorite Marvel title.

I guessed that Alex was the mole about an issue and a half before it was revealed (maybe more, I can't remember) but Vaughan made everything work since, even though Alex was essentially the main character, he had fleshed out all the other characters so that the book won't feel like you can't find a main person to identify with; the main character is the entire team now.

I read about seven issues today so I am taking a short break before I start #1-6 of Volume 2. Maybe I'll start tomorrow or tomorrow night.

Don't take a break, Volume 2 is even better than Volume 1:D :D :D

So I just started the New York arc (Cloak just dumped the kids into the snow). My plan is to eventually own all Runaways comics, except for the first 18, until I can find it cheap somewhere.

What I Own:

Runaways (Digest Volume 4; Volume 2, #1-6)
Runaways (Digest Volume 5; Volume 2, #7-12)
The FCBD issue where they meet the X-Men (I haven't read it yet; I'd kind of like to know where it is in the timeline before I read it.)

So know I need to know what else I have to collect.

:D ?

The Runaways/X-Men FCBD is good to read after you read where everything is revealed about Victor Mancha, just to be safe cuz I cant remember what issue it came out in the same month as May.

Ice said:
The Runaways/X-Men FCBD is good to read after you read where everything is revealed about Victor Mancha, just to be safe cuz I cant remember what issue it came out in the same month as May.

Ice, do you know what # issue that is?

Also, has there been any other comics with them besides the upcoming Civil War miniseries?

And just asking, but does anyone know how that mini will be collected in trade format?

I don't remember the issue #. But as long as you know about Victor, it doesn't matter when you read it, really.

They haven't really appeared anywhere else.

And the CW mini will likely be in its own trade since it's 4 issues.

ultimatedjf said:
Ice, do you know what # issue that is?

Also, has there been any other comics with them besides the upcoming Civil War miniseries?

And just asking, but does anyone know how that mini will be collected in trade format?

the upcoming Civil War series is the only non-Runaways series that they have appeared in thus far.

Last edited:

It seems that Gert and Chase are the only Runaways who do not appear on a cover for the Young Avengers/Runaways series, though you can see the leapfrog on the first issue's cover. Although BKV said not to let the covers mislead you...leaving out a major Runaway, or even a small pic of Gert and the Raptor, has to mean something.

Last edited:

Issue 18...fantastic.

My thoughts:
Xavin posing as Nico was something I predicted would happen, but it didn't make it any less awesome. Gert's death was sad and pretty well done- and Chase having control of Old Lace is interesting. The last page makes me wonder about what Chase will do with the absract, and if he'll bring something even worse into play.
I love Nico. She's still my favorite character.
Vic's transformer thing with the car was awesome.
I can't wait for Dead Means Dead.

Last edited by a moderator:

I was really hopeing for a summary so I wouldn't have try and do the handful that I have here.

Yeah, Civil War (all of it today: CW #3 and all the tie ins) is great this is extrodinary.

We find Xavin posed as Nico and while Xavin and Geoffry are arguing ("I'm a Runaway" - Xavin. Best line of the whole comic) The real Nico frees Molly. The place is ablaze and Molly questions Nico on not going back to save Xavin.

Chase runs into the fire with Gert behind him. Victor subdues the Nu Pride by turning their car into a transformer. He then provides them with some enlightenment of the entire situation.

Nico and Molly step out of the blaze with Xavin to find Chase and Gert went inside.

Geoffry corners Chase and is about to sacrafice him when Gert explains that Chase is not "innocent" so the ritual won't work. And as soon as he slits Chase throat, Old Lace will slit his.

Geoffry takes the dagger and throws it at Gert stabbing her in the chest. Chase punches Geoffry out.

As Gert lays dying, she says she's gonna transfer Old Lace to Chase. Chase says she won't die because the future Gert came back. Gert tells Chase "Future isn't a promise" "Besides the future Gert was wrong because she said she never told him she loved him." Gert's final words are "I will always..."

Karolina wakes up with Xavin hanging over her. She asks where everyone is and he says Chase ran off because him and Nico argued about what to do with the body....

Geoffry's tied up and the Nu Pride threaten to kill him for his treachery. Nico objects and says if he dies, Alex isn't born and no one will be able to stop what the Gibborum originally had planned. Nico uses her spells to send Geoffry back in time and forget everything.

1980 whatever

Geoffry comes home with a headache and no recollection of where he's been. He's missing the abstract decoder and Mrs. Wilder says that it's ok because she has hers but Geoffry's worried about what will happen if it falls into the wrong hands.

The last page shows Chase looking over Los Angelas with the decoder ring, the abstract, and Old Lace by his side.

I can't even rate this. :rockon:

Great job with the summary. This was the first book I read today. BKV is an absolute GOD!!!!! I mean the characters he creates just scream REAL. My fav line was:
"All your base are belong to the New Pride."

Amazing issue!!!

Also...I don't know who else said it, but I'd just like to point out that I totally called the Gert dying thing. :rockon:

Victor Von Doom said:
Great job with the summary. This was the first book I read today. BKV is an absolute GOD!!!!! I mean the characters he creates just scream REAL. My fav line was:
"All your base are belong to the New Pride."

Amazing issue!!!

Also...I don't know who else said it, but I'd just like to point out that I totally called the Gert dying thing. :rockon:

So did I.
The four weeks untill #19 are going to be hellish:(
Does anyone know when Young Avengers/Runaways takes place in relation to the next arc? All I've heard is that it comes after #18.

I'm rather worried about Nico and Molly, neither of whom have ever left the team since it was started :/

Last edited:

beyond great issue. best issue of a considerably great series, probably one of the best single issues of a comic i have ever read.

the thing i liked the best about it is how beyond just being a great issue, it spectacularly sets up the future. Chase can be an anti-hero also fighting the Gibborim and trying to bring back Gert, or he can be a villain-type! And either way it would be awesome! It'd be be best hero-to-villain transfer evAAAAR!

unfortunately, i get hte digests, so i had to take the comic out of the cover, hide in a corner, quickly read it, then put it back, BUT I AM SOOOOOOO PSCYHED! also psyched about when i get back to school, bc my comic store there is great.

seriously, between x-factor and runaways, this has been a terrific week.

Great issue. Very sad about Gert. It would of been better without knowing someone would of died. I'm glad it wasn't Nico.

Is there anyone else who doesn't understand how some readers think that there will be a romantic subplot with Nico and Karolina? Hasn't Vaughn been pretty clear that Nico is straight?
:???:

Sacred&Profane said:
Is there anyone else who doesn't understand how some readers think that there will be a romantic subplot with Nico and Karolina? Hasn't Vaughn been pretty clear that Nico is straight?
:???:

Amen. I really hope that Nico doesnt just turn lesbian because a lesbian liked her. That would be dumb.

CIVIL WAR YOUNG AVENGERS & RUNAWAYS 1: From Zeb Wells, one of my favorite new writers, and the always excellent Stefano Caselli, my kids finally get to play with Allan Heinberg's kids. And for you continuity hounds, this mini takes place AFTER the upcoming "Dead Means Dead" storyline beginning with next month's RUNAWAYS 19 (which will explain how Chase rejoined the team, and what secrets he might be hiding, though reading YA/Run first won't spoil anything).
Excellent...looks like Chase IS in Young Avengers/Runaways.:D

Latest posts

Back