Runaways Vol. 2 #1-24 (Brian K. Vaughan/Adrian Alphona) (spoilers)

Re: Runaways series discussion (spoilers)

I don't think Nico's going to turn into a lesbian. She's just needy for love. I could definitely see her breaking Karolina and Xavin up out of jealousy and then fickly deciding she's not gay, though.

And I can't believe Chase is going to be coming back in the next issue. Not that I'm complaining. I just figured he'd be off doing his own thing for a while.

Zombipanda said:
I don't think Nico's going to turn into a lesbian. She's just needy for love. I could definitely see her breaking Karolina and Xavin up out of jealousy and then fickly deciding she's not gay, though.

And I can't believe Chase is going to be coming back in the next issue. Not that I'm complaining. I just figured he'd be off doing his own thing for a while.

I don't think Nico is going to break them up; Xavin and Karolina's relationship in YA/R makes me think they won't be together that long, anyway. And from YA/R, the first real interaction between Nico and Karolina since Karolina returned (that we've seen,) there isn't much to show her feeling negative towards Xavin for being with Karolina.

As I've said time and time again: Nico and Karolina are best friends. It hurts, big time, to see a best friend go- add that to the fact that Karolina went to another galaxy with an Alien shapeshifter. And to see your best friend come back with were Alien shapeshifting fiancee? How would that feel, knowing that the person who you leaned on for support wasn't going to be there for you 24/7 anymore?

I think Chase will be off the team for #19 and #20, but return at the end of Dead Means Dead. Then again, from the Chase seen in YA/R...he isn't the same Chase we've grown to love. He's one angry, angry person, and any mention of Gert sets him off.

Looks like the Runaways won't be under the Tar Pits much longer, from the appearence of the Hostel they're in towards the end of the comic.

Xavin's pretty F***ed up, though I love his description on the set-up page:

"Xavin: Child of shape-shifting skrull warlords."
Just seems a bit out of place.

To finish up: YA/R #1 is fantastic. The Runaways still sound like the Runaways without Vaughan, and the art is good (a bit iffy at times).

I love me some Nico. Finally, someone realizes she's hot:D

Last edited:

Dude, Nico's smoking hot. There's never been any doubt about that.

This issue was good. It didn't stand up to the quality of most of the stand-alone Runaways issues, but it was still good. It's a shame to see Chase still relegated to a support position, though. Hopefully he'll come into his own soon.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Wrong thread to talk about YA/R guys.

As far as I know, I was the first person on the site to post about YA/R- my post predates the current thread.:)

Nico's a just plain ho. Although her behavior does remind me of how gay people can overcompensate to try and deny reality by dating the opposite sex en masse. Hell, didn't Karolina kiss a guy in the first volume?

Given that we've got the token prominent gay couple in Young Avengers, I could see Marvel leaning on BKV to do Karolina/Nico to give them a lesbian couple as well. Which could have been Xavin's entire role in the comic: if fans reacted positively to Karolina being with SOMEONE, then they could begin trying to match her with someone on Earth. Karolina and Nico certainly would be a lot easier on the eyes that Karolina and her sometimes girlfriend/sometimes boyfriend.

As for Chase, didn't they say there was a month or so since Gert died in the cross? So that's the next arc or maybe one after it?
Newsarama said:
"As the Runaways face the biggest threat of their young lives, an old friend reappears."
Oh, there he is. #21.

Newsarama said:
As the Runaways struggle with the loss of one of their members, the young heroes must also contend with the growing pains of an all-new lineup, and an all-new threat to the Marvel Universe.
That's the solicit for #20. Am I the only one who noticed they Gah Lak Tus'd the arc? The solicits talk about a new team line-up but when they reappear in YA/RA it's the same crew. So whoever's showing up isn't staying long.

Last edited:

jtg3885 said:
Nico's a just plain ho. Although her behavior does remind me of how gay people can overcompensate to try and deny reality by dating the opposite sex en masse. Hell, didn't Karolina kiss a guy in the first volume?

When was she dating the opposite sex en masse? She stated (Around the same time she told Karolina that she WASN'T a lesbian) that she didn't see why everyone had to automatically hook up with someone.
She kissed Chase, yes, because she's lonely and pretty desperate for someone. There are plenty of teens who do this. Nico hasn't been with a boy in at least eight months, and she relied mainly on Karolina for support. Karolina being gone left a void, so she kissed Chase in a moment of desperation.

Karolina kissed (or was going to kiss) a vampire, who used his powers to seduce her. Karolina could 't control herself.

Given that we've got the token prominent gay couple in Young Avengers, I could see Marvel leaning on BKV to do Karolina/Nico to give them a lesbian couple as well. Which could have been Xavin's entire role in the comic: if fans reacted positively to Karolina being with SOMEONE, then they could begin trying to match her with someone on Earth. Karolina and Nico certainly would be a lot easier on the eyes that Karolina and her sometimes girlfriend/sometimes boyfriend.

It would be boring, though, and we already have that in Young Avengers- Blonde Alien + Sorcerer(ess) gay couple. I don't think Vaughan is going to go off and do that. And I don't see why anyone would want him to.

That's the solicit for #20. Am I the only one who noticed they Gah Lak Tus'd the arc? The solicits talk about a new team line-up but when they reappear in YA/RA it's the same crew. So whoever's showing up isn't staying long.

But, it IS a new lineup- No Gert, no Chase, and a Shape-shifting alien. Karonlina is kind of new, too, as she was gone for several months.

Last edited:

Dunno, still think it's a distinct possibility that Karolina/Nico will be a reality. She's too unhappy-looking when Xavin returns and seems a bit too happy when there's trouble in paradise, as minor as it may be.
Sacred&Profane said:
But, it IS a new lineup- No Gert, no Chase, and a Shape-shifting alien. Karonlina is kind of new, too, as she was gone for several months.
I figured new line up would mean new members. Especially given that we have Chase returning in the next issue; there aren't any other Runaways floating around that aren't in the group and aren't dead. Just seems like a lame solicit for what's really "Karolina and her boyfriend/girlfriend/notsurefriend stick around and Chase takes two issues to go find himself".

jtg3885 said:
Dunno, still think it's a distinct possibility that Karolina/Nico will be a reality. She's too unhappy-looking when Xavin returns and seems a bit too happy when there's trouble in paradise, as minor as it may be.
Try non-existent. Maybe things will change with Vaughan in the regular line-up but Wells clearly doesn't make a fuss about anything between the two characters.

jtg3885 said:
Dunno, still think it's a distinct possibility that Karolina/Nico will be a reality.

Manwithoutfear pretty much summed up my response.
I figured new line up would mean new members. Especially given that we have Chase returning in the next issue; there aren't any other Runaways floating around that aren't in the group and aren't dead. Just seems like a lame solicit for what's really "Karolina and her boyfriend/girlfriend/notsurefriend stick around and Chase takes two issues to go find himself".

I'm sure more will happen than that, but then again, why would that be a bad thing? Its Runaways, goddamnit!:D

#17 & #18...awesome issues.

But #18.

Gert from the future never got to say she loved Chase. Neither did present Gert. I wonder if it's going still how "fate" has it planned....

Ice said:
#17 & #18...awesome issues.

But #18.

Gert from the future never got to say she loved Chase. Neither did present Gert. I wonder if it's going still how "fate" has it planned....

What do you mean?
I think the minute Future Gert came back, there was a timeline shift. Victor has been found by the Runaways and will (probably) not go evil. Gert is dead.

I thought it was pretty simple.

Sacred&Profane said:
What do you mean?
I think the minute Future Gert came back, there was a timeline shift. Victor has been found by the Runaways and will (probably) not go evil. Gert is dead.

I thought it was pretty simple.
Was just thinking about it.

Because when people know what's going to happen in the future (in all the stories/shows I've seen, or at least just about all of them), they try to prevent it and at the same time, they're prevention (or anyone elses whether its inentional or not) is what causes for what they saw to happen anyway).

Ice said:
Was just thinking about it.

Because when people know what's going to happen in the future (in all the stories/shows I've seen, or at least just about all of them), they try to prevent it and at the same time, they're prevention (or anyone elses whether its inentional or not) is what causes for what they saw to happen anyway).

Yes, but this is the Marvel Universe. 616. Home to the X-men, who have go and make alternate futures hundreds of times.

Also, Gert's parents have talked about visiting lots and lots of alternate futures (all with Superheros.)

Sacred&Profane said:
Yes, but this is the Marvel Universe. 616. Home to the X-men, who have go and make alternate futures hundreds of times.

Also, Gert's parents have talked about visiting lots and lots of alternate futures (all with Superheros.)
Right, but different heroes and even then, some things still go as it happened.

Still, you never know, and it was just a thought.

Hmmm. Nico continues to get hotter. Loving the cover too. I'm tempted to scan it when I get a copy so I can print a giant poster version.

Scary bossy Asian goth girl...
hitthat.jpg

Dude....that is hilarious!!! I totally made that my sig on another board. It's a hit (no pun intended)!!!!!

Victor Von Doom said:
Dude....that is hilarious!!! I totally made that my sig on another board. It's a hit (no pun intended)!!!!!
Seriously, I loved that scene. Especially the can of Raid...

Apparently more proof that Doom is all for violence against women.

Example A

Disclaimer: I actually do NOT condone violence against women. Its deplorable. Seriously.

Latest posts

Back