Runaways Vol. 2 #1-24 (Brian K. Vaughan/Adrian Alphona) (spoilers)

From an interview on Wizarduniverse.com:

WHY A RUNAWAY HAD TO DIE

Before you even get started, this article deals with major spoilers from Runaways #18, so if you haven't read that issue yet or don't want to learn who died, stop now.

Writer Brian K. Vaughan sat down with Wizard Universe to explain why he had to kill off many readers' favorite Runaway and where the team goes from here.

When did you decide a Runaway needed to die?

VAUGHAN: Probably since the first issue of this new season. I always knew the first issue was going to end with the death of Gert from the future, and I knew by the 18th issue, the end of this arc, the real Gert would die as well.

So it was always going to be Gert?

VAUGHAN: Yup. I wanted to lead people down that garden path and fool them into thinking it might be one person or another person, but in my mind it was always 100 percent that it had to be Gert.

Speaking for all the fans almost crying at the end of issue #18: 'Why Gert!?!'

VAUGHAN: I feel the same way. She has always been my favorite character in the team. But there is a reason "kill your darlings" is a clich³ with writers. It was really important for the team's evolution to have them lose their moral compass. She was the heart of the team in a lot of ways. At the end of the day it was senseless and pointless, like death always is, and I think a lot of teenagers have to go through pointless meaningless death and how they deal with it determines what kind of people they are going to be.

How are the fans reacting?

VAUGHAN: A lot of anger. I was just at the San Diego panel where someone screamed, "Jerk!" at me. That means a lot, because if people are indifferent to it, then Adrian Alphona and I aren't doing out jobs.

Any death threats?

VAUGHAN: Well, I wouldn't go that far, but people are very angry.

Click the link for the rest of the interview....

Re: Runaways series discussion (spoilers)

Victor Von Doom said:
Nico's just another teenage goth slut.

I'm not expecting her and Victor to do anything but kiss. BKV refers to Runaways as a kid's book, so I don't think he'll make it much more than that.

Besides, they don't seem to be treating eachother any differently in YA/R, so yet again preview pages are probably leading us to thinking something entirely different than what is really going on.:roll:

I like how Nico's come to understand herself more. I really like this book.

Also, did the page with Nico/Victor and a single word bubble load for you? If so, what does Nico say?

You're only linking us to one page... :?

Maybe i will pick this up after all. Seems like I'm missing out after reading YA/runaway CW. Didn't know who it was that died. thought it was a guy until now. But that little girl is annoying from time to time. The only one I seemed to like was the vision counterpart. Didn't get the fusion thing until I referenced the ultron mention.

Sacred&Profane said:
I've read about the issue from several people who have gotten it already.

Very good stuff.:D

Oh snap! I forgot I already read the issue.

Chase is up to some interesting stuff along the lines of Ultimate Xavier. Youll see what I mean when you read it.

Mollys conversation with the Leapfrog was so cute.

Xavin has a standard feelingless conversation with Karolina about Gerts death compared to the death of a good portion of their species.

And The Pride or Gibberom arent down and out yet. I just wish it meant the return of Alex and not the big thing youll see.

So yeah who wants Spoilers?

TheManWithoutFear said:
Oh snap! I forgot I already read the issue.

Chase is up to some interesting stuff along the lines of Ultimate Xavier. Youll see what I mean when you read it.

Mollys conversation with the Leapfrog was so cute.

Xavin has a standard feelingless conversation with Karolina about Gerts death compared to the death of a good portion of their species.

And The Pride or Gibberom arent down and out yet. I just wish it meant the return of Alex and not the big thing youll see.

So yeah who wants Spoilers?

Post as many as you can, especially about Nico/Victor and Chase, please. And how you got the issue?

Sacred&Profane said:
Post as many as you can, especially about Nico/Victor and Chase, please. And how you got the issue?

Well you get the preview with Nico and Victor. They feel awkward but there is some kindve necessity to their finding comfort in each other. and Nico goes totally emotional about Gert talking about how she gave her a purple scarf one year and Gert said she was gonna dye her hair that color and she starts crying and Victor holds her.

The chick Nu Pride member goes to her car after work. And Chase confronts her where she feels him and Old Lace are threatening her life. Chase talks about how the Nu Pride members are institutionalized - joined the army - or what have you - and this one is just going through with her everyday life like his girlfriends death wasnt there responsibility. She begs for her life and Chase says hes not gonna kill her because she now works for him...

Other news

It opens with a flashback of Gert standing over future Gerts grave having some words. If Gerts death wasnt hard on readers wait til you read this.

One of the former Pride detectives takes an artifact to a pawn shop where the old owner wishes things were better like they were back in the day. Theres an explosion and the detectives face is looking up at something scary...

Molly asks the Leapfrog where Gert is and its a play by play of Gert burried beneath the ground and then Molly asks if her souls in Heaven. The Leapfrog doesnt compute and gives a mechanical answers. Molly starts flipping and they both sit in silence. The Leapfrog then confirms Gerts in heaven. Then Molly asks about her parents and the Leapfrog suggests to ask Chase. Molly tells it that CHase and Old Lace split. Cute conversation about heaven though.

Xavin and Karolina are stranded but come to the conclusion theyre better off. Xavin thinks the death of one girl is insignificant.

Back in the Hostel the team -Chase is hearing about Starbucks being blownup across the city. They decide to check it out and Victor is elected to man the Leapfrog although his flying is shaky.

We then see the Leapfrog heading toward a giant monster.

It ends with the Chase scene.

5/5

TheManWithoutFear said:
Well you get the preview with Nico and Victor. They feel awkward but there is some kindve necessity to their finding comfort in each other. and Nico goes totally emotional about Gert talking about how she gave her a purple scarf one year and Gert said she was gonna dye her hair that color and she starts crying and Victor holds her.

The chick Nu Pride member goes to her car after work. And Chase confronts her where she feels him and Old Lace are threatening her life. Chase talks about how the Nu Pride members are institutionalized - joined the army - or what have you - and this one is just going through with her everyday life like his girlfriends death wasnt there responsibility. She begs for her life and Chase says hes not gonna kill her because she now works for him...

Other news

It opens with a flashback of Gert standing over future Gerts grave having some words. If Gerts death wasnt hard on readers wait til you read this.

One of the former Pride detectives takes an artifact to a pawn shop where the old owner wishes things were better like they were back in the day. Theres an explosion and the detectives face is looking up at something scary...

Molly asks the Leapfrog where Gert is and its a play by play of Gert burried beneath the ground and then Molly asks if her souls in Heaven. The Leapfrog doesnt compute and gives a mechanical answers. Molly starts flipping and they both sit in silence. The Leapfrog then confirms Gerts in heaven. Then Molly asks about her parents and the Leapfrog suggests to ask Chase. Molly tells it that CHase and Old Lace split. Cute conversation about heaven though.

Xavin and Karolina are stranded but come to the conclusion theyre better off. Xavin thinks the death of one girl is insignificant.

Back in the Hostel the team -Chase is hearing about Starbucks being blownup across the city. They decide to check it out and Victor is elected to man the Leapfrog although his flying is shaky.

We then see the Leapfrog heading toward a giant monster.

It ends with the Chase scene.

5/5

How did you manage to get it this early?
I've seen several people online who have gotten it early..I hope someone will scan it..

What I posted over at BKV's forums..

This issue was fantastic.

After reading the previews, I found myself worrying about how the Nico/Victor scene would end. I'm very happy with the end result. Whether or not Nico/Victor had sex really isn't the point, it was pure character development on Nico's part. Unfourtunatly, too many *******s online arn't going to get over the fact that Nico yet again got affectionate with another guy. That makes me sad.

The Molly scene was fantastic, especially with her wearing Gert's glasses at the end. The Xavin/Karolina scene gave us the needed further characterization of Xavin, and the Chase scene with Lotus makes me extremely excited for issue #20.

I thought Norton was good, though I really miss Alphona. And Norton's fashion for Nico doesn't seem to be nearly as good as Alphonas :?

Yet another excellent issue. If only it wasn't 5 weeks untill the next one :(

Victor Von Doom said:
Nico's just another teenage goth slut.

doesn't mean she's a bad person. just a believable character.

(and hotter, now)

iceman said:
doesn't mean she's a bad person. just a believable character.

(and hotter, now)

She isn't a slut, she's a teenager with emotional issues that she comes to terms with in #19.

i dunno. emergency sex has always seemed dubious to me. i really don't care, i don't typically judge sluts unless they're doing it for attention (honestly, why can guys have promiscous sex because they like it while girls cannot?), but i think she was right when she said it was cheap. also, vic chose the wrizzong tizzime to make a move.

oh well, all the better for good comics

iceman said:
i dunno. emergency sex has always seemed dubious to me. i really don't care, i don't typically judge sluts unless they're doing it for attention (honestly, why can guys have promiscous sex because they like it while girls cannot?), but i think she was right when she said it was cheap. also, vic chose the wrizzong tizzime to make a move.

oh well, all the better for good comics

I guess I have to say this- we still don't know 100% what Victor and Nico did, and that wasnt even the point of the scene. It only matters when people say that Nico's a slut because of it. I think she was right when she said what they did was cheap, and the understanding of herself that she displayed afterwords.

The Runaways just don't feel the same without Gert- Nico's reaction to the Starbucks emergency displayed another major change in her character. BKV is handling the death really well, and having the characters deal with it in ways you'd expect.

BKV is the bomb-diggity.

That said, I really, really hope he doesn't decide to kill another Runaway anytime soon, but he seems to love mentioning that next time they do, they won't warn us ahead of time. Loosing another one of the originals would be pretty depressing.

i don't think it will happen for a while. both alex's and gert's deaths were heavily planned. bkv is smart enough to know that a gimmick will only work a few times, and only if done exceedingly well, and that any original death after this (at least in the next few years) would simply be an escape to easy writing.

Latest posts

Back