Secret Invasion discussion [Spoilers]

How would you rate Secret Invasion?

• Total voters
Re: Secret Invasion discussion (possible Spoilers)

Dugan is a Skrull. It was shown in the Secret Invasion prologue.

Skrull spoiler for Secret Invasion #1:
Hank Pym is another. He shoots Reed Richards in the head.

I guess that means
Pym is the skrull in the Initiative

Last edited:

#1 was the comic book equivelant to the first 15 minutes of Michael Bay's Armageddon.

Seriously.

We start off with everyone going about their normal lives (or about as normal as a superhero's life is gonna be), and then everything goes to ****.

And then it's one big surprise after the other and more questions upon more questions. And then there's that final double-page splash of the Savage Land.

God**** Power Man! Why won't you let Power Man rest in peace Bendis!?!?!?!?

But to be honest---without going into spoilers just yet......I actually loved every single moment of it. Ignoring what constitutes as good writing, solid mystery storytelling and all the other gripes we sling about---it was totally entertaining. And I can't wait to see how this plays out.

And Yu's art has really never looked better. All thru the "Trust" saga of New Avengers, his art was good but his stuff has always seeemed like it was just sketches. But here, everything is more defined all while toning down the smaller details he's known for. And Laura Martin's colors were just perfect. So vivid.

So right now, this has potential to be the big blockbuster in the likes of Transformers, which everyone loved..........or Pearl Harbor, which nobody really likes.

Right now.... 4/5. Far from perfect....but a damn good start.

The Power Man page scares me.

It gives the Marvel universe the ability to retcon the past 20 years in every comic if it wanted too.

I am nervous about the ramifications of all this, but overall it was decently written and a good start to something I sincerely hope gets a lot better later on.

LOVED IT.

I know it's not kewl to like a super mega summer cross over but this is the first comic I've read in a long time where I was excited to turn each page like this. I had no idea.

So we've got Dum Dum, Jarvis, Hank Pym, and *maybe* Susan Richards (I thought it was ambiguous; it could have been a new temporary replacement).

I can't believe it had me on the edge of my seat like it did. Great stuff.

Yu's art looked very different. Doom is right - much more vivid, less "sketchy". I like his "sketchy" art but this really did look good.

I have to read it again.

The reprecussions of them retconning a retcon so soon would be disastrous for the title.

How about pertaining to Cap? You think they would use it to bring him back some way or am I just being a fanboy?

Maybe that's what the NA/Invaders is for.

How about pertaining to Cap? You think they would use it to bring him back some way or am I just being a fanboy?

Maybe that's what the NA/Invaders is for.

It's possible.

To be honest, it would be a logical way of bringing him back. He dies in the aftermath of last year's big event...only to return in the next big event.

Capt America series spoiler below...
I honestly would have no problem with that. Even though I like the fact that Bucky is the new one.

It's possible.

To be honest, it would be a logical way of bringing him back. He dies in the aftermath of last year's big event...only to return in the next big event.

I honestly would have no problem with that. Even though I like the fact that Bucky is the new one.

My main itch with his death was the fact there was hints that he had implosive anger issues. It was mentioned early on in the series where he took out a number of terrorists on top of a subway train (I think). That little dangling plot line always interested me as he never really dealt with his anger issues and just kept everything inside. Even during Secret War, there were subtle hints whereas Wolverine went bat**** and briefly died, Cap reserved his judgement but still wanted to knock Fury in the mouth. That's about as far back as I remember it being mentioned anyway.

That could have made for a real good story, but even if you brought him back now, it's like getting a brand new Cap so it wouldn't exactly be the same.

Anway, I'm surprised it's getting such good reception. i was expecting the first issue to be crap.

It's possible.

I doubt Bendis would screw with Bru though.

Or that Brubaker would let Bendis bring cap back in a diff book.

Right.

Good thoughts and observations though, J.

I'm trying to figure out how Fury going "off the grid" plays into this. It doesn't seem like Maria Hill is a Skrull after the first Invasion issue. Could he be? That would be major if he was and he orchestrated Bucky becoming the new Cap. And how that fits with what Red Skull was doing (since it doesn't seem like he was expecting Bucky to become Cap)...hmmmm.

The former heroes returning aren't necessarily the real deal... :twisted:

The former heroes returning aren't necessarily the real deal... :twisted:

Yup. Bendis says in this article that not everyone is even aware they're a skrull. So there could be a mix of real and fake heroes from the ship as well as that have been here.

Anyway, loved it. Love the story. Very excited to see the rest. That last page was a great "oh s***" moment.

Another thing that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me is how Doom would be so willing to help Red Skull out with his plans. THe only thing that would make sense at this point is if Doom himself is a Skrull. I only say that b/c I find it hard to believe Doom would consort with a Nazi and the fact that it seems he works off a quid pro quo mentality. Did Skull ever do anything for Doom?

Ugh... Am I the only one who didn't like this? It's like, even if the plot were interesting, Bendis' voice as a writer would just be too frustrating to make me like it. It really made the whole thing terribly unenjoyable.

As for the shocking twists? Eh... Throw as many twists at me as you want. It doesn't make it a good story.

Latest posts

Back