Seven Soldiers of Victory series discussion (spoilers)

A SOLDIER MUST DIE! Will it be...

• Total voters
I was reading Frankenstein! #4 yesterday, and loved him.

He is a badass Wolverine. That's right. He's DC's Wolverine equivalent. Wandering hero-monster who can't die and kills. A lot.

I loved him.

I also loved how the Ultramarines were referenced in the issue (I assume they died when Neh-Buh-Loh died), though I didn't care for the JLA classified arc.

Also, I can't believe how dumb I am.

When reading Planetary, for some reason, I didn't get that the Four Voyagers were a parallel to the Fantastic Four, even though it's really, really obvious.

So for some reason, while I was re-reading the JLA classified arc not a month ago, I for some reason, didn't put the Sheeda in the JLA classified with the Seven Soldiers. I remember looking at the fairy and going, "Huh. Sheeda." and then, after putting it together I for some reason... didn't keep it in my brain so that when you guys said it now, it was new to me.

I can be very dumb.

But yeah, I thought 7 Soldiers was good, but I have one complaint.

The four-issue minis are all nicely self-contained but too many ended on a cliffhanger which to me, is a big mistake. Morrison can't claim the titles are independent and then end them on a cliffhanger which requires the purchase of a crossover book-ender to understand.

Since I've gotten the whole thing, I don't mind, but I'm thinking about some people who may have bought just the one or two minis and not the rest, may feel like they've been cheated. But then... maybe not.

Anyhow, I love the titles. I'd hope that a couple of them get their own ongoings after One Year Later.

Apologies on my behalf regarding the original "Who Will Die" poll. I misread the solicits and thought that one of the first four Soldiers was to die, but of course, as we can tell - A SOLDIER MUST DIE!

I really enjoyed all seven. It'll be sad to see one of them go. I have a terrible feeling it will be Zatanna or Bulleteer.

But I think my least favourite mini was Klarion. So... he can die. Which is hella-cruel.

As for Mister Miracle - I wish Ferry had stayed on it, but poop.

And I thought the way the New Gods and Darkseid were handled in that title was... let's put it this way - an Ultimate Thor mini should be like that. I mean, ancient gods no one believes in, save the superhero who is a huge public idol whom people think are having a mental breakdown? He has a magical artifact that gives him all his powers that other people want? No one believes that the villains even exist?

Miracle Man was an Ultimate Thor mini.

And Darkseid won the war, and has the Anti-Life equation is damn worrying.

And Skotti - Bulleteer was rocking.

I'm definately re-reading the whole lot before the finale. It's been a fun ride. Hard to believe it's already been a year since the first issue. I remember sitting down in a hotel reading the first couple of issues going, "Man, a year until it finishes? Yeesh." :lol: I'll vote after re-reading.

Aah... fanboy incoherent stream of consciousness posting. Gotta love it.

Last edited:
Bass said:
And Skotti - Bulleteer was rocking.

Yes she did, I loved the fight between her and Sally Sonic, I mean exposing the whole underbelly of the DCU superhero world was so friggen cool.

I read the #0 issue. It rocks. I love JH Williams III's art.

And then I read The Guardian #1. I should have read Shining Knight #1 but I was doing it from memory.

I will use that list now.

I'm up to Zatanna #2 now. It's very confusing.

I just finished Klarion #2.

So far, my favourites have been Zatanna and Klarion. I like the art in them.

I know this is a spoiler thread, but can someone explain the premise of this without spoilers? And what is collected in TPB? The Borders here has Vol. 1 TPB and I'm thinking about getting it.

E said:
I know this is a spoiler thread, but can someone explain the premise of this without spoilers? And what is collected in TPB? The Borders here has Vol. 1 TPB and I'm thinking about getting it.

7 heros all from different backgrounds that don't know of each other join forces to fight a long forgotten terror while never actually meting each other.

The series consists on a Seven Soldiers #0.

Then 7 four issue minis focusing on each character.

Then the oneshot closing the series Seven Soldiers #1.

There will be 4 trades released with the issues in ordered published so it's read how it's suppose to. The first two are out with the third coming soon.

What's cool in seeing how what happened in one book affects what happened on other. My favorite one so far is Zatanna. But I've only read 4 of the minis.

Last edited:
I've finished the first four minis are I'm halfway through the last three. I love how you catch glimpes of each character in each person's mini, such as Klarion in the car when Mister Miracle is figuring out the Anti-Life Equation.

The Sheeda are the basis of all Fairies in myth, and have been entering the modern world for millenia, serving as the means to end civilizations, particularly with the aid of Neb-Buh-Loh (aka, The Nebula Man)... The only means to defeat them are a band of Seven Soldiers...

The first group of Seven Soldiers that were destroyed were the original Knights of Camelot... Several new Seven Soldiers groups were compelled to form during the past century, with the impending invasion nearing. The Sheeda had learned to target these groups of Seven Soldiers, taking them out before they could ever become a threat.

The time of the invasion is now, and the fate of the World rests on Seven Soldiers who do not even know that their comrades in arms exist...

How can this band of heroes save the world?

That's the gist of it, without ruining any of the plots of the minis.

Well, I'm up to date. Some of it has been crap, some of it has been awesome.

I don't know will die.

I'm presuming it won't be Frankenstein - he's not really living or dead at the moment.

I'm presuming it won't be Zatanna - she's too well connected with the DC Mainstream universe.

I'm presuming it won't be Klarion - he's got a history with the DC universe that has now been erased, but he's now available for a good new start.

The Manhattan Guardian, Shining Knight, Bulleteer and Mister Miracle are all up to debate, but I think any of them could die. The Manhattan Guardian's the only one who's practically human, and he would be too easy to kill; Shining Knight is the last of the Knights of the Round Table, and it would be an honourable death; Bulleteer is the Seventh Soldier, and the one who will save the Earth, however she has abandoned it, so she could save the world and die or something; and Mister Miracle, who also has ties to the Mainstream DC Universe, but confusing ties at that: will he be able to escape death?

I'm talking out my ***. I just hope the last issue is a good story.

ProjectX2 said:
I've finished the first four minis are I'm halfway through the last three. I love how you catch glimpes of each character in each person's mini, such as Klarion in the car when Mister Miracle is figuring out the Anti-Life Equation.

Annoyingly, Mister Miracle isn't in that scene in Klarion. It works only one way which sucks ***.

E said:

There is an alien race known as the Sheeda. They're essentially fairies. Mythical monsters who harvest the entire population of humanity every few millenia. They just cull the entire race, and then let it grow for a few millenia, then feed once more.

It is currently their time for harvest.

However, the Sheeda can be stopped by a special and selected group of seven soldiers. So, the Sheeda kill any team of seven people, to make sure they can't lose.

So this time, agents working for humanity have created a team of seven soldiers - but have not told those soldiers that they're in a team. In fact, these soldiers are completely unaware of their relationship to the other six soldiers and the Sheeda. The hope is that by having each soldier working to destroy the Sheeda individually, unaware of their involvement in a grander scheme, will mean the Sheeda are unaware that the seven soldiers are back.

The seven soldiers are -

The Shining Knight - The sole survivor of the Arthurian round table, he was catapulted to the present time when the Sheeda attacked the round table of Arthur, millenia ago. So the Shining Knight, with only his winged horse and sword, tries to find the Sheeda and destroy them in this bizarre, grey, dead world of the present.

The Manhattan Guardian - A man down on his luck applies for a job; to be the Manhattan Guardian. The Manhattan Guardian is a newspaper, with a superhero mascot investigator. The Guardian investigates weird stories, solves them, and then reports them in the paper. Underground pirates; the newsboy army; terrorist domes; His adventures are popular pulp legend.

Zatanna - The magician daughter of a more famous magician, Zatanna has been involved with the mainstream DCU on many occassions, however, she's realised she's a spellaholic, and recently unleashed a spell that created her dream man - who wants to destroy the universe.

Klarion the Witch Boy - Klarion lives in an underground town, buried deep into the Earth, which has the trappings of Salem. Desiring adventure, he takes his cat familiar and leaves the town and goes up to the surface world, escaping all manner of monsters on his way, where he encounters strange goings on, including Melmoth, the child-slaver.

Mister Miracle - Mister Miracle is the world's greatest escape artist. A huge public figure and celebrity. His latest trick, escaping from a black hole, has undesired consequences. Inside the black hole he has a vision of a man named Metron who tells him stories of two warring planets of Gods, and the Dark Side won this war. Mister Miracle tells this story to his psychiatrist and his friends, who all believe he's having an exestentialist mental break down - but Mister Miracle isn't so sure - can he be the chosen one of fallen gods? (This is as close to an Ultimate Thor mini that you'll ever see.)

Bulleteer - Her husband is a scientist desperate for superpowers. He wants to be young forever and be invulnerable, like all the superwomen on the internet. He makes a skin-metal that makes him invulnerable, but it kills him and he accidentally gives it to his wife - who absolutely doesn't want to be a superhero. Covered in indestructible skin-metal, she has to quit her job as a teacher because the kids think she's a robot. Unsure what else to do and extremely depressed, she becomes a 'superhero'. What this means is going to superhero conventions and posing around in a skimpy costume. The sex fetish of the superhero community revealed, what will the Bulleteer do with her life?

Frankenstein! - You know the story. He's big. He's bad. And he kills people. Bad people. Frankenstein wanders the Earth... and Mars... and the future 1 billion years hence, killing anyone the government covert operations group, SHADE, tell him to. Because their bad guys. And you know what? He doesn't like to talk. You can talk for pages about your origin and he'll just shoot you in the head. He's big. He's bad. He's Frankenstein!

Seven Soldiers of Victory brought to fight the Creeple People, the Sheeda, and stop them from culling humanity.

And they've never even met.

Last edited:
Cool...I'll see about picking this up if I can get over there tonight.

Bass said:
Annoyingly, Mister Miracle isn't in that scene in Klarion. It works only one way which sucks ***.

It'll be because Morrison thought it up AFTER Klarion had been drawn. Just pretend Mister Miracle's powers have making him fade in and out of reality.

Mister Miracle was weird. I think it was the worst of the lot.

I only think I liked Mr. Miracle because I am a huuuuge fan of the New Gods, and every little turn was an oh my god moment because Grant Morrison is THE idea man... even his worst written moments are fantastic ideas.

Latest posts

Back