Slasherverse - Viewing/Reading Order

Hello,
It is my first time commenting in this forum but I saw it like 2 or 3 years ago with the marvel animated universe timelines and I found It very interesting. Do you know of any place where people make hypothetical timelines of media? (appart from this one)

Well, it's about the same topic which is the connection between the films themselves. They were the ones to first popularise it, so it kinda is based on that video.

What do you think about the Chucky Series, taking place in 2017? Don Mancini confirmed it on this video as a theory, but the show says otherwise. I vote for it being 2017 because errors can happen, but the idea was and is 2017, but they treated it like 2021.

The Army of Darkness comics feature their own version of Herbert West. That version of Ash has a crossover with the Hack/Slash comic series. Hack/Slash crosses over with the Re-Animator movie version of Herbert West, contradicting the Army of Darkness comics. What's going on?

Perhaps the canon of these comics are fluid in some way. It's possible that Army of Darkness vs Hack/Slash is canon to both universes. That, or the Herbert West of the film series is a relative to the version seen in the Army of Darkness comics.

Might be simpler to assume that the Ash and Eva seen in the Hack/Slash crossovers are variants, possibly the main universe versions? Hack/Slash links to and references Hatchet, Child's Play, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween and Re-Animator, might as well link to the Evil Dead proper. Evil Dead also has a crossover with the film universe version of the Re-Animator in a separate continuity, so that would be a nice way to legitimise everything I suppose. That would bring a version of Vampirella into the timeline since Re-Animator had a crossover with her, although it's not clear which version.

That's just me making sense of a crappy continuity error though. Having multiple of the same person is pretty damn annoying in my opinion. That's a huge 53 movies connected, anyway.

Last edited:
The Lament Configuration appears in Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. It's a pretty small connection but it's there. Maybe it's a fake in-universe, I don't know.

Eugene was part of The Toolbox Murders (1978)? What!? Ok, I'm going to look into that.

"Ahhhh … you know, that's come up before, and I've never definitively said it was Billy. And the original was never built around him; it was someone else. But I made it ambiguous. I'll give you this: You are on the right track. And with 90% certainty, we are going to reveal who Eugene was in Before the Mask. I'll also say this: There was kind of a "door ajar" before Freddy and Michael and Jay- there were not regulars who would keep reinventing or reincarnating themselves. They just did one-off jobs. But it's possible that they did more than one job. That's as far as I'll go now." - Director Scott Glosserman (2011)

"I can confirm that Eugene has always been Billy in my mind. Scott (Wilson) would be the right age for him, and it always fit for me that Eugene would have that "old school" nostalgia and slight professional jealousy that even though he was a pioneer in the business of fear, he never achieved the fame or notoriety of his successors (Michael, Jason, etc). That's just me, however. It was never explicitly written into a draft, it was always just lore that Scott Glosserman and I carried with us!" - Writer David J. Stevie (2016)

After David J. Stevie explained that, Scott posted this soon afterwards.
toolbox-murders (1).jpg
"Another" meaning, confirming that he is Billy, but implying that he was in The Toolbox Murders. Kent looks very similar to Billy and his "death" was off-screen.

1967 - Kent Kingsley
1974 - Billy
2007 - Eugene

"It was a whole different world back when I was in the game. I had a good portion of my success in the late '60s, '70s. Back then, it was about quantity of work – how many jobs can you fit in a year, how many places can you hit? Ya know, we didn't have all this preparation these guys use today. There's always been hacks out there. People mucking it up. One-hit wonders who make a bloody mess of some sorority somewhere and get killed… or arrested. Makes it bad for all of us. Cheapens it."

So they basically made The Toolbox Murders an unofficial prequel to Black Christmas through the character of Eugene. What...

Last edited:
Eugene was part of The Toolbox Murders (1978)? What!? Ok, I'm going to look into that.

"Another" meaning, confirming that he is Billy, but implying that he was in The Toolbox Murders. Kent looks very similar to Billy and his "death" was off-screen.

1967 - Kent Kingsley
1974 - Billy
2007 - Eugene

So they basically made The Toolbox Murders an unofficial prequel to Black Christmas through the character of Eugene. What...
Ok I have not seen the movie but I had read the wikipedia summary. Does the movie show a flashback from the perspective of Kent? Even if it is not from the perspective of Kent, the character has a nephew that I guess is not part of Eugene's "act" as an slasher, so, that means that Kent Kingley is the real identity of Billy/Eugene, right?

Last edited:
Ok I have not seen the movie but I had read the wikipedia summary. Does the movie show a flashback from the perspective of Kent? Even if it is not from the perspective of Kent, the character has a nephew that I guess is not part of Eugene's "act" as an slasher, so, that means that Kent Kingley is the real identity of Billy/Eugene, right?
Kent Kingsley would be his real identity. Billy is a name he used when committing the 1974 killings. Eugene is his identity when he retired.

I've included Hellraiser simply because it connected to Behind the Mask. Easter Eggs in that movie seem to be more important.

I asked the director. He seemingly confirms that "my Christmas" is a reference to Black Christmas. Briefly mentions the toolbox easter egg but doesn't explain it exactly.
Screenshot_20221124-000410_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20221124-000416_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I'm assuming that Freddy's Nightmares is set between 5 and 6, because it makes the most sense. I'm also assuming that the first episode is a lot of unreliable narration on Freddy's part.

RCO005_1582353522.jpg
Child's Play #2. Obviously, the Dream Killer is Freddy Krueger, but does anyone know what the swamp monsters and werewolves could be referencing?

Anyways, the timeline is much more accurate now. I suppose I shouldn't place the first episode of Freddy's Nightmares in 1968 due to the fact the prime story is set in present day and the flashbacks can't be 100% accurate as they contradict flashbacks in Freddy's Dead.

Last edited:
View attachment 880
Child's Play #2. Obviously, the Dream Killer is Freddy Krueger, but does anyone know what the swamp monsters and werewolves could be referencing?

Anyways, the timeline is much more accurate now. I suppose I shouldn't place the first episode of Freddy's Nightmares in 1968 due to the fact the prime story is set in present day and the flashbacks can't be 100% accurate as they contradict flashbacks in Freddy's Dead.
The closest I could think of for the swamp monster would be the 1954 classic Creature from the Black Lagoon (which feels too far off in terms of the timeline) or 1982's Swamp Thing (which is based on the DC character of the same name and also written/directed by Wes Craven, mind you). As for the werewolves, I think it might be The Howling series (1981 - 2011), but I might be wrong.

Last edited:
Pumpkinhead: Ashes to Ashes has a nod to Hellraiser, with Doug Bradley's character having several Lament Configuration boxes on his desk. The Necronomicon can be seen in Pumpkinhead II and the 2018 comic book tie-in. Based on both of these combined, I personally believe they should be included.

Creepshow has a crossover with Evil Dead, featuring a copy of the Necronomicon owned by a fictional Ted Raimi who is turned into a Deadite. Combine that with a reference to The Crate short story in Jason Goes to Hell, which is likely a different crate to the one that contains Fluffy from the same exhibition to the Arctic, then Creepshow should be linked in as well.

It will be nice if anyone can group all entries in the timeline to their respective franchises.

Latest posts

Back