Spider-Man Spider-Verse Discussion/Spoilers

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Dan Slott Unveils "Spider-Verse" Featuring "Every Spider-Man Ever"

Call began with the first details: Starting in November, Slott and Olivier Coipel are bringing "every Spider-Man from every universe together for the first time." The story starts in "Amazing Spider-Man" #9, and continues in that book and other yet-to-be-revealed titles. The story will be previewed with a five-page back-up story in Marvel's Free Comic Book Day offering this May.

"This is every Spider-Man ever teaming up, or fighting each other," Slott said, adding later that readers will definitely see some "spider-fights." "Some won't get a long. It's a Spider-Man story on a scale we have never seen before. Epic in its scope."

Spider-Verse-Dell-Otto-Bann-229b7.jpg

Spider-Verse-Del-Mundo-Prom-77a78.jpg

wyokid

Re: Spider-Verse (Spider-Man event) November 2014

When is Slott going to be off Spider-Man? I mean seriously?

wyokid

Slott has written eleven years worth of comics already. Enough is enough.

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65

I'm sort of wondering what he's going to do with this. I see several masks that are from the 616 continuity (Spidey-Armor, Spider-Carnage, Captain Universe, Amazing Bagman, Prodigy). Are these all going to be alternate Spideys? I guess maybe it's just promotional art.

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
So much for Miles Morales not crossing over into the 616 universe.

*sigh*
That already happened, albeit briefly...

I'm sort of wondering what he's going to do with this. I see several masks that are from the 616 continuity (Spidey-Armor, Spider-Carnage, Captain Universe, Amazing Bagman, Prodigy). Are these all going to be alternate Spideys? I guess maybe it's just promotional art.
Slott says that every Spider-Man ever will be in it, so I'd say they are all the alternate versions of the character that appear together for whatever reason.

Last edited:

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.

That already happened, albeit briefly...

Oh yeah, I forgot he went over to 616 in Spider-Men.

Slott says that every Spider-Man ever will be in it, so I'd say they are all the alternate versions of the character that appear together for whatever reason.

Yeah, I think its a safe bet since Miles' Spidey mask and costume are prominently displayed in the promo pics, as well as Miles being one of the more well-known alternate Spider-Men in the various Marvel universes.

E

Excelsior Club

"Spider-Verse"

Seriously. That's seriously going to be a thing.

Ice, if this ever came up on the podcast I don't think I would be able to say that/those word/s.

Captain Canuck

Here's an interview with Dan Slott and Nick Lowe

This part made me laugh:
Slott says, "Sometimes you need to hear 'no.' I suggested, what if there's a world like Cars? From that world, the Spider-Mobile is alive and can talk to you like Speed Buggy. They were like, 'No. No talking Spider-Mobile.' I told them it'd be awesome because he has a secret identity so no one knows he's Spider-Mobile. He's secretly Peter Parked Car. That's when everyone said, 'Nooooo!'"

And this art from the upcoming Free Comic Book Day Tie-In:
3716674-2+spider-verse_fcbd_preview_2.jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Friday

Ok, I know you all hate this but Peter Parked Car is God damned brilliant.

Morlun was a pretty crap character though. Spider totem... sins past... JMS had a lot of crap in his run. At least Slott is fun. I like my Spider-Man comic to not take itself too seriously.

Last edited:

Captain Canuck

Ok, I know you all hate this but Peter Parked Car is God damned brilliant.

I really liked it too :lol:

Morlun was a pretty crap character though. Spider totem... sins past... JMS had a lot of crap in his run. At least Slott is fun. I like my Spider-Man comic to not take itself too seriously.
The only parts of JMS' run that I hated were Sins Past and OMD. But even with Sins Past, it was a well written story that really made you feel for Peter, get a glimpse at the complexities of his relationship with MJ, and it fit well in continuity. I just hated what it meant for Gwen. You don't mess with Gwen. (Which, I suppose is the whole reason JMS wrote the story). The Spider Totem story, and particularly The Other, were weird and I didn't really love them but they've had cool repercussions on Spidey's mythos. I like how Dematteis and Kelly used the ideas from those stories to connect all the Spider-related heroes in Grim Hunt and how it has continued through Slott's work (although in more silly ways, such as Spider-Island). And it's been a major theme in Scarlet-Spider too, with Kaine giving in to the Spider/Other at times.

Overall though, I really liked Slott's run because it focused on Peter's relationships. I really liked the way Peter & MJ's relationship was written. I really liked Aunt May knowing Peter's secret and for the first time in 40 years actually having a personality beyond being doting, old, and not liking Spider-Man. And I really liked Peter as a teacher too.

Last edited:

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen

From ECCC:

"David shared his enthusiasm for "Spider-Verse" to the crowd, saying that "it's completely insane," and naming Peter Porker the Spectacular Spider-Ham and the 1967 animated Spider-Man as both appearing in the story."

Last edited:

Captain Canuck

From ECCC:

"David shared his enthusiasm for "Spider-Verse" to the crowd, saying that "it's completely insane," and naming Peter Porker the Spectacular Spider-Ham and the 1967 animated Spider-Man as both appearing in the story."

Haha, I really hope his powers include being able to web swing where there are no buildings and make anything (waterskis, propellers, etc) out of his webbing!

E

Excelsior Club

I don't want this to exist. Someone stop it.

Latest posts