The All About Comics Thread 5: Comic Books Ate My Paycheck

Sex Criminals. It's very unique and pretty great. I love the art.
I was going to ask if anyone was reading this book. I just got caught up on it in issue 3. Very entertaining and original. Maybe the best thing since Saga.

I almost feel like my pull list is too big, but I am afraid I am missing out on great Image (and other publishers) comics. My only current non DC/Marvel book is Saga ( I plan on picking up Shutter in April). What else should I be getting? The Manhattan Projects? Fatale? East of West? Any other suggestions for smaller books (or even other marvel/dc books)? My current pull list is:

Batman
Batwoman
Talon
Nightwing
Avengers
New Avengers
Avengers World
Uncanny Avengers
All New X Factor
Superior Foes of Spider Man
Saga

Eventually I will be adding Moon Knight, Shutter, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon, and Loki: Agent of Asgard.

Last edited:
Also, my collection is starting to take up too much space. I've thought about selling a large chunk of it, but I have no idea how to go about doing that. Is selling individual issues or lots on eBay the way to go here? Should I bring them into some LCS's and seeing what they think?

I almost feel like my pull list is too big, but I am afraid I am missing out on great Image (and other publishers) comics. My only current non DC/Marvel book is Saga ( I plan on picking up Shutter in April). What else should I be getting? The Manhattan Projects? Fatale? East of West? Any other suggestions for smaller books (or even other marvel/dc books)? My current pull list is:

Batman
Batwoman
Talon
Nightwing
Avengers
New Avengers
Avengers World
Uncanny Avengers
All New X Factor
Superior Foes of Spider Man
Saga

Eventually I will be adding Moon Knight, Shutter, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon, and Loki: Agent of Asgard.

Black Science is an Image book by Rick Remender. It's only 2 issues old but is great so far.

Also Mind MGMT is fantastic.

Also, my collection is starting to take up too much space. I've thought about selling a large chunk of it, but I have no idea how to go about doing that. Is selling individual issues or lots on eBay the way to go here? Should I bring them into some LCS's and seeing what they think?

You'd probably have the most luck and get the most by selling the lots on eBay. The tradeoff is that you have a lot more potential scammers.

Your LCS will likely only give you a fraction of what they are actually worth.

Selling individually is great for popular and sought-after issues but the ones that aren't likely won't sell at all.

Black Science is an Image book by Rick Remender. It's only 2 issues old but is great so far.

Also Mind MGMT is fantastic.

You'd probably have the most luck and get the most by selling the lots on eBay. The tradeoff is that you have a lot more potential scammers.

Your LCS will likely only give you a fraction of what they are actually worth.

Selling individually is great for popular and sought-after issues but the ones that aren't likely won't sell at all.

Another option is to sell them on ebay in lots of 5-20. That way you can put arcs together and maybe less popular issues will sell with more popular ones. I feel like if you manage to sell them all this way, you'd make more money then selling one big lot (or several big lots). But it's also a hastle to organize, set up, and ship a whole bunch of auctions.

Another option is to sell them on ebay in lots of 5-20. That way you can put arcs together and maybe less popular issues will sell with more popular ones. I feel like if you manage to sell them all this way, you'd make more money then selling one big lot (or several big lots). But it's also a hastle to organize, set up, and ship a whole bunch of auctions.

Yes - that might be preferable to selling huge lots of one book. It would be a little extra work but you'd probably get more than just selling one big huge lot of a given book.

So I've been outta Marvel comics for a while and I'm looking to get back into them. Last thing I read was FEAR ITSELF...so you see how far behind I am.

Before I've been into the New Avengers by Bendis and their individual titles: Iron Man, Thor, Cap. There's more but I'm looking into some good suggestions?

Also if anyone knows a better site than Wikipedia that's great for some storyline synopsis since I missed the last 2 major events, that'd be great too.

So I've been outta Marvel comics for a while and I'm looking to get back into them. Last thing I read was FEAR ITSELF...so you see how far behind I am.

Before I've been into the New Avengers by Bendis and their individual titles: Iron Man, Thor, Cap. There's more but I'm looking into some good suggestions?

Also if anyone knows a better site than Wikipedia that's great for some storyline synopsis since I missed the last 2 major events, that'd be great too.

You should read Hawkeye

If you're looking for Avengers titles, Hickman's run on Avengers and New Avengers (which is now about the Illuminati) have been good. If you don't want to catch up with all of it, now is a pretty decent time to jump on since I think it's changing directions after Infinity.

Uncanny Avengers is good too, but you'll have to catch up.

And, I would suggest the marvel comics database for synopses of past issues and arcs.

Uncanny Avengers is worth the work it would take to catch up (and it's not too bad since there are only, like, 15 issues or so).

The real work would be reading Uncanny X-Force if you haven't, because a lot of what happens in Uncanny Avengers is based on what happened there.

I'll second the Hawkeye suggestion. Daredevil is also very good.

Hickman's Avengers is mostly good. I didn't care for the most recent event which was Infinity, and there were about 6 Avengers issues that tied into that. I don't think you can skip them and you can't really read them without reading the Infinity mini, so good luck with that.

New Avengers was promising but I can't say I'd recommend it to a new reader considering the amount of catch up. you might just want to wait until it's collected. I think we were led to believe it would intertwine with Avengers but it only really did superficially.

Uncanny Avengers is worth the work it would take to catch up (and it's not too bad since there are only, like, 15 issues or so).

The real work would be reading Uncanny X-Force if you haven't, because a lot of what happens in Uncanny Avengers is based on what happened there.

I'll second the Hawkeye suggestion. Daredevil is also very good.

Hickman's Avengers is mostly good. I didn't care for the most recent event which was Infinity, and there were about 6 Avengers issues that tied into that. I don't think you can skip them and you can't really read them without reading the Infinity mini, so good luck with that.

New Avengers was promising but I can't say I'd recommend it to a new reader considering the amount of catch up. you might just want to wait until it's collected. I think we were led to believe it would intertwine with Avengers but it only really did superficially.

I wouldn't say that at all. In New Avengers the Illuminate are attempting to stop the dimensional cascade that will destroy the universe that centers on the earth. In infinity and regular flavor Avengers the Builders were coming to earth to destroy it to stop the dimensional cascade that threatens existence. They were both the same problem being handled in different approaches. It's all one story that I was really expecting more of from Infinity since almost nothing got resolved there.

I wouldn't say that at all.

You're right. What I meant is that they are tangently related. It's set up very similarly to how his Fantastic Four and FF were; you don't need to be reading one to enjoy or understand the other, but if you do read both you'll definitely get more out of both.

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Yeah, like Ultimates 3...

Not really a solid argument...

Hush, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Fallen Son, Marvel Color Series, Buffy Season 8 #20, Batman/The Spirit, Superman, Wolverine, For All Seasons, Haunted Knight, When In Rome, Challengers of the Unknown, The Witching Hour, Superman/Batman, Ultimate X, New Ultimates (by far my favorite Ultimates story), Cable, Fantastic Four, and Ultimate Power. Yeah, I'd say it's pretty damn solid. I even took out ones I enjoyed just to prove the point.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back