Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man: Big Time (ASM #648 and beyond)

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
So Brand New Day is officially over and Big Time has begun.

As has been previously stated in other threads (I think) ASM will now come out bi-weekly and be a 30-page book (and cost $3.99 as a result). Dan Slott will be the solo writer and Humberto Ramos, Marcos Martin, and Stefano Caselli will rotate pencilling duties.

In case you missed it, you can catch the "Big Time" trailer here

ASM #648 was pretty good. It had a lot of set up info,

Doc Ock has put together
a new Sinister Six including himself, Sandman, Electro, Mysterio, Chameleon, and Rhino.

The New Avengers let Spidey take the lead against Doc Ock's plan and
he saved the day.

Flash and Betty are back together

Jonah and Marla are back together

The Goblin Tattoo
is spreading in criminal circles

Phil Urich is back

JJJ bought back the rights and ownership of the Daily Bugle and handed it over to Robbie.

They separated the symbiote from Gargan (i thought that happened in Siege?) and are studying it.

Peter got an amazing job at Horizon Labs where he will head up one of seven think tanks and has the freedom to work on his own schedule and not "punch a clock" so he can't be fired for not showing up like he has from other jobs in the past.

Hobgoblin (Kingpin calls him
Mr Kinglsey
) is back in town.

Anya Corazon has decided to go with the name Spider-Girl.

I really like Ramos' art and Slott has shown himself to be a decent Spider-writer, so I remain decently optimistic about this.

So, why sell the Bugle if it was simply going to go back in JJJ's hands? Why does nothing have consquences and almost always reverts back to the norm?

And why is Rhino a villian again? I liked him better when he had some character development.

So, why sell the Bugle if it was simply going to go back in JJJ's hands? Why does nothing have consquences and almost always reverts back to the norm?

And why is Rhino a villian again? I liked him better when he had some character development.

Are you really surprised they went back to the status quo after something like OMD happens?

Hm.... So, I was a little wary about Slott taking over the book, but I for one thought this was simply great, one of the best set-ups for a new creative direction I've seen in a long time.

The art is TERRIBLE.

The art is TERRIBLE.

It's ill suited for the Avengers segment, but I think it's a pretty strong fit for the day-to-day Spider-Man stuff.

Ramos' art is kind of hit or miss for me and really tailored towards a narrow range of stories, but I like it more often than I hate it.

The art is TERRIBLE.

It's ill suited for the Avengers segment, but I think it's a pretty strong fit for the day-to-day Spider-Man stuff.

Ramos' art is kind of hit or miss for me and really tailored towards a narrow range of stories, but I like it more often than I hate it.

Ramos' art is one of those things you either love or hate. there's not much in between.

I personally really like it, but he seems to have a problem figuring out the dimensions of the hip/crotch area. The legs never look like they connect to the torso the way they're supposed to.

His art reminds me of older Bachalo, which is bad.

Ramos' art is one of those things you either love or hate. there's not much in between.

I personally really like it, but he seems to have a problem figuring out the dimensions of the hip/crotch area. The legs never look like they connect to the torso the way they're supposed to.

;) That doesn't bother me too much. He's clearly not going for realism.

His art reminds me of older Bachalo, which is bad.

*gasp!*

Bachalo is so awesome there's no awesomely way to put awesome awesomely enough in a sentence to describe how much awesome he is.

Except for his run in UXM which totally sucked, but that was already awesomely forgotten (and forgiven).
:p

Last edited:
I said OLDER Bachalo. He is much improved.

Look at his Ultimate War era stuff. You can't tell me that was good.

I said OLDER Bachalo. He is much improved.

Look at his Ultimate War era stuff. You can't tell me that was good.

Naw. That's Bachalo's middle period. His early stuff was primarily (maybe completely?) Vertigo, and wicked awesome.

Naw. That's Bachalo's middle period. His early stuff was primarily (maybe completely?) Vertigo, and wicked awesome.

Yeah, I just read an issue of Sandman he did. Better than his "middle period" stuff.

Yeah, I just read an issue of Sandman he did. Better than his "middle period" stuff.

Well, I think Ultimate War was more an aberration than anything. I think he did the Fantomex arc in New X-Men around the same time and I remember that looking good.

Just picked up ASM #649 today. I'll be reading it tonight.

EDIT: just read it. And I liked it a lot. This new Hobgoblin is pretty awesome.
When
Phil Urich killed Kingsley
was one of the biggest WHAT THE...?!?!! moments in spider-man history. Not sure why
Phil turned bad
, but I can't really complain, it's good stuff.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back