The Authority

no probs Doom

in my honest opinion, i'd leave out the robbie morrison stuff altogether. art was a bit crapola and the stories weren't that much better). reading the coup d'etat storyline (where the authority take over the USA) leads into revolution (sorta) but just knowing the authority took over america is info enough :p

thee great one said:
I enjoyed Robbie's stuff. And there's the "Human on The Inside" graphic novels that takes place between volumes 1 and 2.
Yeah. It wasn't great by any means, but it certainly wasn't as bad as people make it out to be.

Victor Von Doom said:
Ok....so I'm about to start ordering Authoruty trades. But I see there are several different trades with different titles/runs.

Can anyone tell me which order I need to read or order them? You know---does Brubaker's run come before Ellis's run or Millar's?

Help me out here people.....
If you just want to get caught up before Morrison's run (like I'm doing) All you need is:

Volume 1:

"Relentless" by Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch.

"Under New Management" by Warren Ellis, Bryan Hitch, Mark Millar, and Frank Quitely.

"Earth Inferno and Other Stories" by Mark Millar and Frank Quitely, with one-shot stories by Warren Ellis and others.

"Transfer of Power" by Mark Millar, Frank Quitely, Tom Peyer, Dustin Nguyen, Arthur Adams and Gary Erskine.

Volume 3:

"Revolution Volume 1" by Ed Brubaker and Dustin Nguyen.

"Revolution Volume 2" by Ed Brubaker and Dustin Nguyen.

I was told that Volume 2 was totally skippable, so I did indeed skip it.

Last edited:
Just finished reading the first trade......

I don't really like Warren Ellis. He's gonna find me and have his minions do many a bad things to me..........but I gotta get it off my chest.

His psuedo-scientific babble gets to be annoying after a while.

But with that said--I like this a lot. I mean a LOT! I think it's actually impossible to hate The Midnighter.

Now onto "Under New Management".....

There was crazy science babble in The Authority?

I know im kind of late to this thread but, the authority are awesome, i got into them when my cousin handed me that revolution series, then i looked for back issues, I still say jack is cooler than the midnighter

ProjectX2 said:
There was crazy science babble in The Authority?

Hells yeah.

Like the explanation for The Carrier. "Moving downwake through the devachanic realm at a speed of 25 dreams per second..." ????

Victor Von Doom said:
Hells yeah.

Like the explanation for The Carrier. "Moving downwake through the devachanic realm at a speed of 25 dreams per second..." ????

*laughs at dumb Doom*

O.O

Made up stuff = Not qualifies as Technobabble

I run on diet coke inspired nightmares that make nuclear fusion in my brain...

Woo! My Technobabble shocks and CONFUUUUUSES Mr. VD

Dr.Strangefate said:
Made up stuff = Not qualifies as Technobabble

If it don't make sense to me....its all technobabble. Not to be confused with Oakenfold's techno babble.

Dr.Strangefate said:
I run on diet coke inspired nightmares that make nuclear fusion in my brain...

Woo! My Technobabble shocks and CONFUUUUUSES Mr. VD

GODDAMN RIGHT HIPPIE!!!! All this new fangled power. What ever happened to good ol' fashion diesel and nuclear power?

*Shakes silly old fart fist*

Victor Von Doom said:
Just finished reading the first trade......

I don't really like Warren Ellis. He's gonna find me and have his minions do many a bad things to me..........but I gotta get it off my chest.

His psuedo-scientific babble gets to be annoying after a while.

But with that said--I like this a lot. I mean a LOT! I think it's actually impossible to hate The Midnighter.

Now onto "Under New Management".....
I'm fine with the Tekno-Babel. It's Tekno-Tastik.

Ellis's last arc is definitely his best. The Authority fights God.

I think you'll like Millar's stuff better though. It's edgier, meaner, and a lot more political.

And in Millar's first arc, The Midnighter rapes someone in the *** with a jackhammer. No kidding.

And just remember that the Captain America Knock-off does in fact rape anyone he runs into on a mission, a fact that editing made them glaze over.

(So many people seem to miss that)

Dr.Strangefate said:
And just remember that the Captain America Knock-off does in fact rape anyone he runs into on a mission, a fact that editing made them glaze over.

(So many people seem to miss that)
He raped
Apollo
(Spoiler Tags, for VVD) and those two nurses.

I love Millar's run, but I find it kind of funny that every single villain he introduced was a racist, sexist, homophobic ******* who loved to rape and kill. The Americans, The renegade Doctor, The New Authority. They're all very similar in that respect.

Last edited:
I've just had a thought, perhaps VDD should've read the very last arc of 'Stormwatch' in trade 9if it's available - i'm sure it is) or he may not get the references on Revolution?

Go find Stormwatch trade VDD

Latest posts

Back