The Authority

Rhyo said:
Brubaker's run was very... underappreciated. It's very good, and it sets up some "new" characters. There was a controversial choice mid-run that a lot of people don't like (I was sorry to see it happen).

Brubaker wrote a very good Midnighter, Jack and Jenny - the other characters languished a bit in the background, but it all comes together in the end.
Is it just me or does Shen/Swift ALWAYS languish in the background?

Rhyo said:
There was a controversial choice mid-run that a lot of people don't like (I was sorry to see it happen).

Are you talking about
Jenny Quantum aging to near adulthood, or the creation of the realm where all the Jennies can give the new Jenny advice... Because I have to say that the reason I think that The Authority was suffering for a while was because of a lack of Jenny Sparks... They needed her character back, or at least they needed the new Jenny to stop being a character-less baby.

Nope, I'm talking about Jeroen.

It irritated a lot of people that he
died off-panel in a punk way (though, gotta say, it wasn't like it was out-of-character).

Last edited:
Personally, Brubaker made The Authority interesting to me again.

Rhyo said:
Nope, I'm talking about Jeroen.

It irritated a lot of people that he
died off-panel in a punk way (though, gotta say, it wasn't like it was out-of-character).

how they did him was kinda whack but he never did have much sense. i would have liked to have seen it told in real time but part of the storyline was "where is the good dr.?"

i wonder what they have in story for jenny quantum after the events in capt. atom's mini? we were just getting to know her and...

Last edited:
She's still running the team in the new series... the Promo art had her prominently displayed.

I think Brubaker set her up to be the Twenty-First Century's answer to Jenny Sparks brilliantly, and I'll appreciate Morrison sticking to that.

At least we know he can't kill her off until 2099.

in total agreement.
just wondering how theyre gonna explain her eyeball rolling on the floor after the capt atom mini
it'll be something crazy though, no doubt.

I just finished Revolution. The best freakin Authority yet. I loved every sec,

Jenny Quantum is such a kick *** character. I like the idea of a place for all the jennys like the Doctpr's garden.

I thought it was fitting for the doctor the way he died. I also found Rose Tattoo to be very interesting. The spirit of murder huh. And then made into the spirit of life. Genius.

I was wondering who that Doctor was in the Captain Atom mini and why Jenny was older. This explains it.

I was pissed that new Doctor looked like a jackass. But so far I like him and his character.

Plus the old doctor will make appearances. As Jenny Sparks has.

Dr.Strangefate said:
She's still running the team in the new series... the Promo art had her prominently displayed.

I think Brubaker set her up to be the Twenty-First Century's answer to Jenny Sparks brilliantly, and I'll appreciate Morrison sticking to that.

At least we know he can't kill her off until 2099.

Actually, he could kill her, but that breaks the cycle of Jenny's and would probably send the Earth into apocalypse.

Or something.

I finally got The Authority vol. 4: Transfer of Power. It has Millar's last arc, Brave New World, and the in-between arc by Peyer, Transfer of Power.

I liked it.

It definitely wasn't as good as the stuff that came before it, but it definitely wasn't as bad as people say it is.

Does anyone recommend the Jenny Sparks mini?

ProjectX2 said:
I finally got The Authority vol. 4: Transfer of Power. It has Millar's last arc, Brave New World, and the in-between arc by Peyer, Transfer of Power.

I liked it.

It definitely wasn't as good as the stuff that came before it, but it definitely wasn't as bad as people say it is.

I've read the first two issues. It's by no means bad.

ProjectX2 said:

I liked it.

The Jenny Sparks mini really doesn't work continuity wise, but its a hell of a fun read.

I loved the miniseries... It cements Jenny in my heart as one of the best female comic book characters in the past twenty years.

Baxter said:
The Jenny Sparks mini really doesn't work continuity wise, but its a hell of a fun read.

Why doesn't it work?

ProjectX2 said:
Why doesn't it work?
Timing with APollo and Midnighters issue, Seriously doubt Jenny would have joined stormwatch after what happens in it, most people dealing with hawksmoore would have had access to the intellegence level to know it was time travelers and not aliens, and Shen as an egg the Nazis were going to eat? Not to mention she was born as a normal person, not a winged wonder. Just alot of little nitpicks. Like I said, it was a really fun read. I loved tokyo beating the crap out of Kansas City, it just has alot of little things bugging bits.

Ok....so I'm about to start ordering Authoruty trades. But I see there are several different trades with different titles/runs.

Can anyone tell me which order I need to read or order them? You know---does Brubaker's run come before Ellis's run or Millar's?

Help me out here people.....

OK, in order...

Warren Ellis
Relentless

Warren Ellis / Mark Millar

Under New Management (1 Ellis and 1 Millar story)
Earth Inferno
Transfer of Power

Also get, Jenny Sparks the secret history of the authority

Then you get vol 2 (which is pish)
Robbie Morrison

Harsh Realities
Fractured Worlds

Coup D'Etat series

Ed Brubaker

Revolution vol 1
Revolution vol 2

Last edited: