The new Spider-Man cartoon to air on the CW.

I've been watching this online every night for a few weeks, I'm around the middle of the second season now, and you know what?

It's better than B:TAS. Or any animated super-hero show I've seen to date.

Animation/action sequences, storylines, characters and characterization, dialouge.... this show is a distilled, modernized version of what I think is the definitive comic run of the 20th century, brimming with creativity and feeling and maybe best of all, continuity. A Spider-Man cartoon in the style of LOST. I'm in heaven.

Anyone who hasn't tried this, please, check it out. Random, who way back there said you were refusing to watch because Dr. Connors had a prosthetic arm, seriously, reconsider. I doubt any Spider-Man fan would be disappointed.

So buying the DVDs when they come out.

spiderman.gif

Animation/action sequences, storylines, characters and characterization, dialouge.... this show is a distilled, modernized version of what I think is the definitive comic run of the 20th century, brimming with creativity and feeling and maybe best of all, continuity. A Spider-Man cartoon in the style of LOST. I'm in heaven.

Certainly some of the story techniques and updates they've come up with have been ingenius, but in terms of animation style, I don't think it comes anywhere near BTAS.

For me, this show is an extremely enjoyable, 'balanced diet' Spider-Man cartoon, compared to the 90s series, which was hopped up on caffeine and sugar and was far too loud, flashy and bright (all of the reasons I love it so much). In terms of enjoyment level, I would say I probably enjoy the 90s series just a little bit more because of the feeling of boundless energy it had. This newer one has a tendency to move a little bit slower. Also, the style takes a while to grow on you, whereas the style of the 90s series was just a very old-school realistic design (but as we all know, the animation had a tendency to be shockingly bad, because of all of the re-used footage).

...but BTAS and JLU are fine wines and cheese.

Last edited:
I've been watching this online every night for a few weeks, I'm around the middle of the second season now, and you know what?

Anyone who hasn't tried this, please, check it out. Random, who way back there said you were refusing to watch because Dr. Connors had a prosthetic arm, seriously, reconsider. I doubt any Spider-Man fan would be disappointed.

So buying the DVDs when they come out.

spiderman.gif

No what we need is people who can afford to watch this on it's new channel. If the ratings don't go up we won't get a thrid season. I hate that they moved it there in this economy. Not a lot of people can afford to by extra channels right now. I'd really hate to see this show get canceled because of that.

Certainly some of the story techniques and updates they've come up with have been ingenius, but in terms of animation style, I don't think it comes anywhere near BTAS.

For me, this show is an extremely enjoyable, 'balanced diet' Spider-Man cartoon, compared to the 90s series, which was hopped up on caffeine and sugar and was far too loud, flashy and bright (all of the reasons I love it so much). In terms of enjoyment level, I would say I probably enjoy the 90s series just a little bit more because of the feeling of boundless energy it had. This newer one has a tendency to move a little bit slower. Also, the style takes a while to grow on you, whereas the style of the 90s series was just a very old-school realistic design (but as we all know, the animation had a tendency to be shockingly bad, because of all of the re-used footage).

...but BTAS and JLU are fine wines and cheese.

I honestly think this show is comparable to JLU. The art is an acquired flavor, but after a few episodes it really grew on me. The story lines are not as epic in scope, but this is Spiderman, so there is some precedent.

Certainly some of the story techniques and updates they've come up with have been ingenius, but in terms of animation style, I don't think it comes anywhere near BTAS

[....] the style takes a while to grow on you, whereas the style of the 90s series was just a very old-school realistic design (but as we all know, the animation had a tendency to be shockingly bad, because of all of the re-used footage).

B:TAS obviously had a richer visual style and I agree it and especially the 90s Spidey cartoon had better, more realistic character models, but they way they use the streamlined models here makes me forget that I'm watching a cartoon(unlike most modern streamlined models, like "The Batman", where everybody looks deformed).

But all that stuff is just slivers of a whole. B:TAS was a revolution, but it's still more like gourmet pizza than a fine wine. I'd say Spec's the highest class here. The story and character development put it head and shoulders above.

No what we need is people who can afford to watch this on it's new channel. If the ratings don't go up we won't get a thrid season. I hate that they moved it there in this economy. Not a lot of people can afford to by extra channels right now. I'd really hate to see this show get canceled because of that.

I'm not sure what the new channel is anyway, but without a Nielsen box I don't think they're paying much attention to my raitings(unless Digital Cable boxes double for them and nobody told me, which would be so, so awesome). I pray this gets a third season. My DVD dollars are probably the best I can do.

I'm disappointed with it.
That's how everyone feels about you!

I don't think my expectations for TOG were high enough to be disappointed with it.

Especially with the second season cliffhanger.

Yes, you make your parents very sad, and they take it out on your car.

But all that stuff is just slivers of a whole. B:TAS was a revolution, but it's still more like gourmet pizza than a fine wine. I'd say Spec's the highest class here. The story and character development put it head and shoulders above.

A huge difference for me was the amount of time spent on SSM's supporting cast, plus the overarching storylines which BTAS didn't do.

I don't think my expectations for TOG were high enough to be disappointed with it.

That's what TOG's prom date said when he showed up in just flame shorts.

I honestly think this show is comparable to JLU. The art is an acquired flavor, but after a few episodes it really grew on me. The story lines are not as epic in scope, but this is Spiderman, so there is some precedent.

I have always preferred epic stories for Spider-Man.

Probably my favourite thing about Spider-Man is that he is basically just a random neighbourhood hero with fairly average-level powers (compared to some of the heroes in the Marvel Universe) who happens to find himself in otherworldly, Earth-shattering situations. That's absolutely my favourite thing about the 90s series and the thing I hate about the first two movies. In the movies, it's just Spidey going up against one villain, that could probably be taken down by a SWAT team with a bit of sense. It really doesn't feel that epic.

The two disk set of the first season of The Spectacular Spider-Man will be on sale July 28th. See more details here: http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0906/07/index.htm

Also I don't have the ratings but, I've heard the first season has done very well on Disney XD. They are now showing the Second Season. No word if they are doing a third season yet.

Nice! missed a lot of this (ironically even the venom episodes) so I'll be getting this set

Last edited:
The two disk set of the first season of The Spectacular Spider-Man will be on sale July 28th. See more details here: http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0906/07/index.htm

Also I don't have the ratings but, I've heard the first season has done very well on Disney XD. They are now showing the Second Season. No word if they are doing a third season yet.

that's much more reasonable. I'll most likely pay the $25 dollars for the whole season, but I wasn't about to pay $15 each for a three episode DVDs

I'm confused...season 2 is just airing now? I've seen all the episodes on Youtube, how did that happen?

BTW, anyone pick up the Season 1 DVD? Does it have special features or commentary?

This could be some bad news. But it also could be good.

Greg Weisman:
Sony has given up the television rights to Spider-Man, including animation, in exchange for "some concession vis-a-vis the live action Spider-Man features." Sony is NO LONGER involved with 'The Spectacular Spider-Man.' I'm informed that Marvel can now produce the series, but of course, they don't have to."

"A number of folks at Marvel have said kind things about the show in the past, but as you can imagine they have a LOT on their plates right now, so no one's talked to me about any potential pick-ups since the world turned a bit upside-down. What hasn't changed, I imagine, is that we're still waiting to hear whether Disney XD even WANTS a new season. If Disney XD decides they don't want any episodes, it's no longer likely that we'd shop the series around to XD's competitors. So any decision begins at XD, I would think. And before you ask, no, nobody at Disney has talked to me about the series."

As for the future of the series, a third season is still up in the air. I believe it will happen, it's just going to take some red tape cutting by Marvel and Disney. 'The Spectacular Spider-Man' cartoon series makes these guys to much money for there not to be a third series.

Sorce: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/LetsCutTheBS/news/?a=9734

Latest posts

Back