Spider-Man The Superior Spider-Man (Slott/Stegman/Delgado) SPOILERS

Re: The Superior Spider-Man (Slott/Stegman/Delgado)

Okay, I picked up and read #699 today. And I didn't hate it. Brain-swapping stories are usually contrived, and this one is too, but the I feel like Slott took the formula and turned it on it's head. Usually the story is about the villain stealing the hero's body and then going about his life, but in this issue Peter Parker is acting as Doc Ock, putting together his own Sinister Six (or Sinister Four, I guess) and hunting down Spider-Man. I thought that was kind of clever. If this wasn't building toward ASM ending, Peter Parker being replaced (and if it didn't have that memory of Aunt May...what. the. crap?), I would have liked this issue.

Last edited:
#699 was terrible.

BUT - I just read a summary of #700 along with a pic of the final 2 pages and it is so bad that I actually sat there stunned for a period of time, unable to believe that I read what I read.

Assuming it is true, this might be the worst thing Marvel has ever done.

I'm dead serious.

If you want to see it, go to reddit.com/r/comic books . I don't have a direct link handy.

STUNNED.

#699 was terrible.

BUT - I just read a summary of #700 along with a pic of the final 2 pages and it is so bad that I actually sat there stunned for a period of time, unable to believe that I read what I read.

I'm dead serious.

If you want to see it, go to reddit.com/r/comic books . I don't have a direct link handy.

STUNNED.

Wow. That is TERRIBLE.

If this is true, it's quite funny that the apparent need for gimmick stories in comic books is so high that a self-destructive gimmick is required to gets anyone's interest. The problem with the clone saga wasn't that it was told badly. The problem is sabotaging your series by killing your protagonist in order to create buzz. Remarkably foolish.

#699 was terrible.

I'm dead serious.

STUNNED.

Oh come on. They can write their way out of this in 6 issues tops if they wanted to. This sin't any worse then Peter making a deal with the devil, or having lots of clones running around, or his never to be spoken about daughter who was taken away in a tupperware container by Osborn, or Gwen Staceys mutant illegitimate goblin children, or Peter dieing and then exploding out of a spider with arm spikes. And thats all without leaving Spider-Man.

Man, looking at all that crap... why is it so hard to write a good Spider-Man story?

Man, looking at all that crap... why is it so hard to write a good Spider-Man story?

It's not. But it's way easier writing bad, gimmicky ones.

I refuse to read the spoiler. I like being dismayed by my comics when they come out.

I can't believe I'm going to spend $7.00 on #700. Yeah!

This sin't any worse then...

Sorry, but it is a lot worse than all of those examples you listed all put together.

My first thought was because there have been so many that they are out of ideas, but I don't think that's true. It's probably just that it's easier to go for shock value.

And yeah, they can fix it is six issues, but that will not have changed the fact that they came up with it, considered it, approved it, and published it in the first place.

I can't believe I'm going to spend $7.00 on #700. Yeah!

You are going to hate yourself.

Sorry, but it is a lot worse than all of those examples you listed all put together..

I dunno man. The Goblin Gwen kids arc is one of my personal high water marks for horrible concepts.

Here's the thing: comics do this all the time. Bam: Superman is an ape and Lois is black. Bam: Batman is on Mars fighting sentient cream puffs. Bam: Superboy and his superego are fighting a superhorse. Bam: Batman is dressed up as a rainbow to fight Atlantis.

They do it all the time. Here's the difference: back when it was *popular* to do this crazy stuff, the stories lasted an issue. At most. In fact, they'd have *three* stories and the one story where Superman is homeless and made out of rats lasted *8-pages*. On Saturday morning children's cartoons, these plot lines, like GIJoe being miniaturized so Cobra could have them eaten by pigeons would last, at most, one single episode.

Because these are ideas are silly, whimsical tales that have very little mileage to them.

But now, these stories are *events* that have to last at least *12 months* (or about 220 pages) - without including tie-ins - and it's preposterous to expect an audience to follow you into your crazy moon-logic world where you have Spidey replaced by a frog with an addiction to social media.

Utter madness.

Here's the thing: comics do this all the time. Bam: Superman is an ape and Lois is black. Bam: Batman is on Mars fighting sentient cream puffs. Bam: Superboy and his superego are fighting a superhorse. Bam: Batman is dressed up as a rainbow to fight Atlantis.

They do it all the time. Here's the difference: back when it was *popular* to do this crazy stuff, the stories lasted an issue. At most. In fact, they'd have *three* stories and the one story where Superman is homeless and made out of rats lasted *8-pages*. On Saturday morning children's cartoons, these plot lines, like GIJoe being miniaturized so Cobra could have them eaten by pigeons would last, at most, one single episode.

Because these are ideas are silly, whimsical tales that have very little mileage to them.

But now, these stories are *events* that have to last at least *12 months* (or about 220 pages) - without including tie-ins - and it's preposterous to expect an audience to follow you into your crazy moon-logic world where you have Spidey replaced by a frog with an addiction to social media.

Utter madness.

I'd give Super-Rat-Hobo at least six issues,

#699 was terrible.

I'm dead serious.

STUNNED.

I've been thinking. That's got to be another fake out. Even Loeb wouldn't do this...

So did anyone else get this? Cause it was a lot of fun. I chucked my way through it. Watching Otto try to be a good person and just be terrible at it was great. I'm on board for the time being.

Because it's fun guys. That's what a Spider-man comic should be. Fun.

So did anyone else get this? Cause it was a lot of fun. I chucked my way through it. Watching Otto try to be a good person and just be terrible at it was great. I'm on board for the time being.

I read it. I didn't like it; it's just a big gimmick and it's taking away from any potential humor or fun for me. It reads like a What If issue that they are stretching out for a year or so. On top of that, I just don't like Dan Slott's writing style lately. It was OK early in his run but it's just... amateurish or something. So...bad story written badly.

I feel like I need to read it just to say I did and so I know what's going on because I like Spider-Man, but I don't really want to. And I certainly won't be paying to do so.

I read it. I didn't like it; it's just a big gimmick and it's taking away from any potential humor or fun for me. It reads like a What If issue that they are stretching out for a year or so. On top of that, I just don't like Dan Slott's writing style lately. It was OK early in his run but it's just... amateurish or something. So...bad story written badly.

I feel like I need to read it just to say I did and so I know what's going on because I like Spider-Man, but I don't really want to. And I certainly won't be paying to do so.

As long as I can keep getting ComiXology codes for $1 for it I'll keep reading. But to be honest I'd probably read everything if it was $1 a pop.

I honestly didn't think it was that bad. Still don't like that it's Doc Ock, but not a bad read. I did like how
Peter is still there trying to fight his way back. And has some control over Octavius.

The Superior Spider-Man (Slott/Stegman/Delgado)

As long as I can keep getting ComiXology codes for $1 for it I'll keep reading. But to be honest I'd probably read everything if it was $1 a pop.

Agreed. I would buy a LOT more digital comics if they were 99 cents. I don't buy many that aren't 99 cents.

How are you getting $1 Comixology codes? PM me!

Just read and I enjoyed it. I love how the real Peter Parker's conscience is still inside the body and I am excited to see how this will unfold. Added to my pull list for sure.

I think it's pretty okay, but I suspect OckSpidey's oppressive dickishness will grind down my nerves before it's over.

Same reason I don't want to see an ongoing TV show about Patrick Bateman.

They are already being inconsistent with the character in order to give themselves stories to tell.

In Avenging Spider-Man #16, which I have no idea why I read, Spider-Man doesn't know who Beast is.

Even if Dr. Octopus didn't know (which is unlikely), Peter most certainly does.

Latest posts

Back