Ultimate Cable

Goodwill said:
I don't think it's all that confusing if you REALLY think about it... I'm not calling you dumb by any means (I don't think I have any room to either, with a subnic with the one that I have) but if you follow what I said, it's gravy.

And it's not so much that it's hard to understand as it is stupid, and I have no interest in all that crap. It's terribly convoluted and it's all due to poor writing.

Well, I guess you're right... I don't think I would have bought it, either. Reality is the reason I checked into the Ultimate Universe. I think that's as realistic as it gets with comic books.

How I think Ultimate Cable should be done

Hello, everybody!

First of all, I would like to say that the whole Desert Storm origin idea for Ultimate Cable looks sound, but I notice a couple of minor flaws with it. First, you need to take into consideration that Nathan Dayspring is an older man in the 616 universe, so having him as a general in Operation Desert Storm wouldn't look right. Also, General Fury would need a pretty good amount of time to get to the rank of general, say 20-25 years of military service. So, I believe it would make more sense if this incident took place close to the end of the Vietnam War (yes, I said "war" because that's exactly what it was!). That way, there would be enough of a time frame for Captain Fury to work up the ranks and for General Cable to remain locked up in a cell somewhere (i.e. Area 51) due to his emerging mutant abilities. In addition, this would provide the adequate scene for General Fury to reunite with his old commander.

Second, you would need a series of unfortunate events to cause Ultimate Cable's mutant abilities to manifest. Now, I know for a fact that being a soldier in Vietnam would provide the perfect catalyst for a warrior like Cable to go over the edge. Enemies attacking you from every direction, easily accessible illegal drugs and alcohol, and a country divided over military actions in a war that never should have been fought. Now, to activate his abilities, the general (Cable) would be at his assigned base awaiting transport for the last remaining soldiers of his battalion in Vietnam when they get attacked by the VC. Finally pushed over the edge after serving several tours in Vietnam just to watch several soldiers die, General Dayspring snaps, causing his mutant abilities to manifest and killing almost all personnel in the vicinity. When the helo transports arrive, they see everyone on the base dead except for General Dayspring and a young captain (Fury), whose testimony leads to the general's incarceration at Area 51.

Let me know what you guys think.

That idea works.

Way back when, and I do mean WAY, I think I sent a proposal to Marvel about an 8 page story for whatever that biweekly marvel comic was. The gist of it was about an incident in Vietnam involving a guy who may or may not have been Cable and a strange VC mutant.

Hmmm.

I have an allergy to annoying time travel/alternate dimension/whatever crap; it really marred my enjoyment of the X-Men mythos. Another reason I am an Ultimate Universe fan.

As for naming the guy, why not simply "Cable"? Cable is a perfectly respectable real world name.

Gavin

I liked your ideas, Obie... Very well thought out, even though they were just elaborating on someone elses! ;) I reall do mean it, though.

odie1kenobi75 said:
Hello, everybody!

Second, you would need a series of unfortunate events to cause Ultimate Cable's mutant abilities to manifest. Now, I know for a fact that being a soldier in Vietnam would provide the perfect catalyst for a warrior like Cable to go over the edge. Enemies attacking you from every direction, easily accessible illegal drugs and alcohol, and a country divided over military actions in a war that never should have been fought.

Sounds like how 616 Forge went bad with his Shaman powers.

His unit got beat, he summoned demons, ended up with the Adversary

So anyway after looking into Cable/Deadpool... And rereading this thread how do we think Cable can be ultimized without completely blowing off his origins... I mean there's a lot baggage that comes with it as far as timelines and cloning and all that junk...

TheManWithoutFear said:
So anyway after looking into Cable/Deadpool... And rereading this thread how do we think Cable can be ultimized without completely blowing off his origins... I mean there's a lot baggage that comes with it as far as timelines and cloning and all that junk...

Well, personally, I really really really don't want the baggage that comes with Cable. He was born to Cyclops and Jean grey's Clone, who later tried to sacrifice him to Belasco, then he got infected with the techno-organic virus, then his half-sister from another alternate future took him forward to a time where humanity fights Apocolypse to survive, and then his sister (the Askani, or Rachel Summers/Pheonix II) got the real Jean and Scott to come to the future and raise him. oh, and Plus, he has a twin, since Rachel cloned him when she thought he would die from the techno organic virus, the twin grows up in the hands of Apocolypse and is named Stryfe. Then he comes back to our timeline, as an old war veteran, cold from decades of fighting, and feeling distanced from the current world, which only gets worse when he finds out that his future no longer exists.

My idea was to get a similar character in a more realistic way... Cable jailed in the UU for a couple of decades after fighting in Vietnam = Old war vet, unconnected to a world he hasnt taken part in for 30 some years....

I have more ideas, which i should probably be posting tonight

As you said, time travel is too much baggage. This is a really good way of streamlining the origin of a complex character.

Goodwill said:
Strange in UXM, no!

....If time travel is ever addressed in any title, it should be the Fantastic Four, and thats about it. Time Travel is what makes the continuity headaches that keep people away from the titles.

And I haven't forgot about this whole idea, im actually writing up a 12 part dealy, each one per issue i would have done on the title, which I'll post over in the Fan-Fic section when it's all good and done.

What you have ahead of you:

ULTIMATE X-FORCE
Issues
1-4: Beginnings
5-8: Stryfe
9-12: Legacy

My X-Force includes:
Gen. Nathan Dayspring
Agent Domino of SHIELD
Agent Deadpool, formerly of Weapon X
Forge
Shatterstar
Cannonball
Meltdown
Icarus (why not three Guthries?)
Warpath
Feral

Other fun things i incorporate include Sunspot (knowing he's already shown up in Tempest), Sauron, the Mutant Liberation Front. Also Stryfe and Genesis, but its definately a new take on the characters.... yeah.

No Idea when i'll get Issue One up.

Dr.Strangefate said:
....If time travel is ever addressed in any title, it should be the Fantastic Four, and thats about it. Time Travel is what makes the continuity headaches that keep people away from the titles.

And I haven't forgot about this whole idea, im actually writing up a 12 part dealy, each one per issue i would have done on the title, which I'll post over in the Fan-Fic section when it's all good and done.

What you have ahead of you:

ULTIMATE X-FORCE
Issues
1-4: Beginnings
5-8: Stryfe
9-12: Legacy

My X-Force includes:
Gen. Nathan Dayspring
Agent Domino of SHIELD
Agent Deadpool, formerly of Weapon X
Forge
Shatterstar
Cannonball
Meltdown
Icarus (why not three Guthries?)
Warpath
Feral

Other fun things i incorporate include Sunspot (knowing he's already shown up in Tempest), Sauron, the Mutant Liberation Front. Also Stryfe and Genesis, but its definately a new take on the characters.... yeah.

No Idea when i'll get Issue One up.

oooo hell yes I can't wait Doc. :twisted:

So, recently, I've been thinking... Cable could be a child in this universe! If Scott and Jean were seriously involved they'd have a kid and it would grow up only to find that his powers are tripping up before he hits puberty... It could be something to play with.

Take too long. Scott and Jean are not in a position to have babies at the moment - Phoenix, World hating mutants, so on and so forth. Then, for the baby to grow up enough for his powers to manifest, even in comics time would take aaaaages. Plus, they´re not even 25 yet. Stay away from babies for a while

Goodwill said:
So, recently, I've been thinking... Cable could be a child in this universe! If Scott and Jean were seriously involved they'd have a kid and it would grow up only to find that his powers are tripping up before he hits puberty... It could be something to play with.

Unfourtunately Cad's right... I would like to see him have ties to Scott and Jean though somehow...

Cad's right about what? That was me that said that... I think Cable HAS TO HAVE ties to Cyclops and Jean or his character would be hindered.

Goodwill said:
I think Cable HAS TO HAVE ties to Cyclops and Jean or his character would be hindered.

I disagree, Cable hasn't interacted with Cyclops in 616 in possibly two or three years. Both characters are operating fine autonomously

On the other hand, if Jean and Scott do have a baby, it should be Rachel. Scott and Madelyne Pryor had Nathan, Scott and Jean had Rachel.

And anyways, Rachel is way more involved with the X-Family than Cable.

Goodwill said:
Cad's right about what? That was me that said that... I think Cable HAS TO HAVE ties to Cyclops and Jean or his character would be hindered.

I meant about Cad's response to what you said he was right... and I don't think his character would be hindered I just want Cyclops to get props for raising one the most kick *ss ultimate characters there will be..

Latest posts

Back