Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (discussion/spoilers)

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 2 (Discussion/Spoilers)

Immonen > Lafuente > Bagley for me.

I agree.

And I don't particularly hate Bagley... His art just never did anything for me. It was boring and very often (after the first 2 years, at least) sloppy.

I think I liked Bagley's character drawings the best.
and Immonen's action the best

Some of Immonen's covers were amazing, and others were terrible.

122-11.jpg

amazing
124-16.jpg

amazing

but...
300px-Ultimate_Spider-Man_Vol_1_120.jpg

terrible...look at Spidey's arms compared to Cyclops and then remember that Spidey has superhuman strength and Cyclops doesn't.

Lafuente is probably my least favourite of the three, but he's only done three issues and an annual so far. So I'm going to suspend judgement for now.

Last edited:

Hey, you guys. Disrespecting Bagley is not respect.

Well, I actually enjoy all three of them.
Immonen's art was really dynamic and cartoonish, while remaining good looking and incredibly stylish.
Lafuente's art is FANTASTIC, and I mean really ****ing FANTASTIC, I absolutely love how he draws everything, well, except his character's clothing and faces, and hairs which looks worse than stuff I've seen 13 year olds draw better. His art is dynamic and stylish like Immonen's, but it just looks so alive, I love it, except for the big drawback I already mentioned.
And well, Bagley's art never had really a strong point IMO, except I always thought it really charming, and it felt just right for USM. Maybe it's because I grew used to it, but I really liked it.

I don't think I can really say which one I prefer, but I can definitely say Lafuente needs to draw better faces :wink:

btw, enlgish is not my first language, so sorry if I didn't make sense or offended anyone :D

No, not at all (imo). While sometimes Immonen would do chins weirdly, even his worst drawn face is night and day better than Lafuente's half-assed anime styling.

Yeah I disagree. I dig that cartoony anime style that Lafuente has.

Sorry, his art style just isn't my cup of tea.

No need to apologize mate. Your allowed to have different taste in art than I do.
THIS TIME!!!!!!! :twisted::twisted:

And personally I can't stand Immonen just because of the faces, really ruins the rest for me.,

That's what I'm sayin'!!!

Last edited:

vmenge said:
I wish Lafuente reworked everyone's face, and Peter's hair. They're awful :/

I don't get the hate for the hair, and the faces are good except for Gwen and May. Immonen made atrocious faces (I remember that Liz looked like Peter with a blond wig), yet I still came to appreciate his work.

I like everyone's faces.

I've been enjoying the new volume thus far. The art I find to be very likeable.

So I was finally was able to purchase issue three and read it today. While I like Lafuente's art in general and don't mind the Charlie Brown-headed Spider-Man, his faces are pretty bad. And Peter's hair kind of weirded me out. Not to mention that Peter looked like he was either drunk or had a cold (his nose was red).

But the aspect of his art that really bothers me is that all of a sudden everyone is a punk. Someone complained earlier that Lafuente drew Gwen 'emo' (I think was the term used) and I wrote it off b/c she wasn't drawn that differently and even if she was, she used to kind of have an edgy style when Bendis and Bagley first introduced her, but then Kong had a purple mohawk and now Jessica Jones has arm warmers (or whatever those things are) and a lip piercing. What's up with that?

No, people were complaining about Peter having emo hair and Gwen not being punk enough. I didn't see anything remarkabe on Jessica Jones, the character didn't really made an impression on me. After looking, Lafuente didn't really change the way he draws her, she was already like that in the annual. As for Kong, he definitely turned punk after Ultimatum, it's not the way Lafuente draws him :D

Last edited:

It just occurred to me that the solicitation for this series said something about the Hulk being back. What's up with that? There was definitely no Hulk to be seen.

Kong looks stupid.

That is all.

:roll: "punk". hah!

Last edited:

Kong looks stupid.

That is all.

:roll: "punk". hah!

To be perfectly fair, he is only 16 or 17. We all did stupid things when we were 16 or 17.

To be perfectly fair, he is only 16 or 17. We all did stupid things when we were 16 or 17.

Yeah, I agree. And the poor guy went through a lot. Got dumped by kitty and the mutants he always defended destroyed new york. The step from shaving your head bald to shaving a mohawk isnt that big.

And for all we know he might have always had purple hair.

I don't know about this but shouldn't Jessica Jones be in college now or was everyone held back due to the Ultimatum Wave?

I don't know about this but shouldn't Jessica Jones be in college now or was everyone held back due to the Ultimatum Wave?

assuming this is a new school year (which would make sense) then yeah, she should be in college (she was introduced as a senior).
It's not a huge stretch to imagine she had to come back for a year or a semester to finish up b/c of the destruction of Ultimatum.

However, it's probably more likely that Bendis either forgot that she was a senior or just doesn't care.

Latest posts

Back