Ultimate Comics Spider-Man/Miles Morales Discussion (SPOILERS)

Yeah, stuff in spoiler tags are a pain in the butt to read using the mobile app. You have to hit the spoiler mark, which takes you to another page where the text is blacked out (like it appears normally when using an Internet browser), but highlighting it doesn't work like on browser view. So you have to then copy the blacked out portion, and start a thread reply to paste it in just to read the spoiler tags. It sucks.

If there's an easier way to do it in the mobile app, please, let me know.

I could just use Safari on my phone to view the board, but the mobile app loads much faster for me (and I'm an impatient bastard).

Don't use the mobile app. Get tapatalk. It's way better. The spoiler just shows up as a button and when you press the button, it reveals the spoiler.

Bendis answering a question about Miles being older in USM:

"Well Miles is 13 now but we are going to do a time jump pretty soon so miles will be older. I just saw the artwork and it's a very impressive bit of physical character artistry by David Marquez."

Ice said:
Bendis answering a question about Miles being older in USM:

"Well Miles is 13 now but we are going to do a time jump pretty soon so miles will be older. I just saw the artwork and it’s a very impressive bit of physical character artistry by David Marquez."

As Cap said, that is interesting. Wonder if the time jump is a temporary thing (Miles travels to the future or something), or permanent. I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly older Miles and Ganke, honestly. Especially so it can open up the option of Miles juggling his life as Spider-Man with dating, possibly going to college (this of course depends on how much older he is in the time jump), maybe even joining the Ultimates full time (since the Divided We Fall membership on the team was completely wasted for that crossover).

My only concern is that Bendis will get lazy and use it as an excuse to "develop" Miles as a hero without actually showing us the path to that development.

It's been such a solid book so far that I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I honestly had no issues with Young Miles and thought it brought something rather fresh to the table.

My only concern is that Bendis will get lazy and use it as an excuse to "develop" Miles as a hero without actually showing us the path to that development.

It's been such a solid book so far that I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I honestly had no issues with Young Miles and thought it brought something rather fresh to the table.

Agreed on both points. Sounds like maybe this ties in to whatever universe-wide event was rumored a few days ago? Based on pretty much every UU event ever I don't expect much from that, and I'm afraid it will impact this book and the character(s) negatively.

When Young Justice had the time jump between the first and second season, I was skeptical. But they did a really cool job showing how things were different, making me wonder why things had changed so much, and then slowly revealing what had happened. (Although I haven't watched the show since they took that break a while back).

I wouldn't mind if Bendis did something like that.

Agreed on both points. Sounds like maybe this ties in to whatever universe-wide event was rumored a few days ago? Based on pretty much every UU event ever I don't expect much from that, and I'm afraid it will impact this book and the character(s) negatively.

What is this rumored event of which you speak?

As Cap said, that is interesting. Wonder if the time jump is a temporary thing (Miles travels to the future or something), or permanent. I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly older Miles and Ganke, honestly. Especially so it can open up the option of Miles juggling his life as Spider-Man with dating, possibly going to college (this of course depends on how much older he is in the time jump), maybe even joining the Ultimates full time (since the Divided We Fall membership on the team was completely wasted for that crossover).
Looks like permanent.

The time jump will also apply to the rest of the ultimate books, too, Axel Alonso mentioned today in the weekly AIC column on CBR. He also said something sad will happen in USM #22, which seems to be in relation to the time jump. Maybe his father dies? The link has preview art for #21.

Getting into some fan questions this week, SpiderX had a follow up from a previous column where he asked, "In a previous Axel-In-Charge Brian Michael Bendis answered a question of mine about Miles which resulted in him mentioning a time skip. Will this time skip be applied to the entire Ultimate Comics line?"

Alonso: Not at first, SpiderX, but eventually the timelines will catch up as current big arcs conclude. In the meantime, I'd make sure you have a new box of tissues ready when you read "Ultimate Comics Spider-Man" #22. What happens in this issue gives us a story-driven reason to move forward with Miles.

Last edited:
The idea is so bad I haven't even tried to read it. I may have mentioned this elsewhere but Amazing Spider-Man #700 was the first comic that ever made me so mad that I had to put it down and finish it later.

The idea is so bad I haven't even tried to read it. I may have mentioned this elsewhere but Amazing Spider-Man #700 was the first comic that ever made me so mad that I had to put it down and finish it later.

I could have sworn that you were not quite excited about this but at least very accepting of the premise.

I could have sworn that you were not quite excited about this but at least very accepting of the premise.

I'm okay with mind-swapping stories that last for an issue or two and then end, but I was never okay with this. Here is documented evidence of my reactions:

When they first announced it and we didn't know what it was, my reaction was
Whatever it is, I'm just waiting it out. I want to rant and complain but I have NO idea what's actually going to happen. So I'm just sitting tight and waiting.

Then they announced the main premise and I said

I'll probably pick this up and read it at some point, but I'm going to let a good amount of time go by first. I don't want to give Marvel my money for this. Sorry Marvel, I'm out. Again.

Then I read ASM #700

I wasn't planning on reacting to this. Before I read issue #700 my thoughts were, "Oh well, it won't last. I'll be back when it's over." I wasn't going to make a fuss, I was simply going to let my money talk and drop Spider-Man until it was fixed. But Marvel upped the ante and got MJ together with Doc Ock.

I've been waiting for Peter and MJ to get back together since OMD, which happened 5 years ago. After OMD, I dropped ASM for a few months, but then I started picking it up again b/c I missed Spidey. I decided to lay aside my frustration and just enjoy Spider-Man. And I was even given reason to root for MJ and Peter and hope that Marvel might get them back together. And now they finally did. Except they got Doc Ock and MJ together, not Peter and MJ. I've been waiting for MJ to confess her love to Peter and for them to get back together for 5 years. For 5 years I've been hoping for this. And instead I got to see MJ confess her love to Doc Ock. When they kissed I was literally so angry that I yelled, "Aaarrgg!!" and had to put the comic down and do something else for a while. I can honestly say no other comic has ever had that effect on me.

So, my reaction: this was a stupid idea. But that's fine. Stupid ideas happen in comics and eventually they get fixed. I'm used to that and can deal with it. But getting MJ and Doc Ock together like that after 5 years of hoping? That was just...mean. I don't even care if nothing ever happens between them or if MJ dumps him in the first issue of Superior Spider-Man. MJ confessed her love to Doc Ock. Even if she had figured it out and confessed her love to Peter in Ock's body before he died, I would have been more okay with this issue. Ugh. I need to stop.

So I was never planning on reading this*, but I was only marginally annoyed. Until MJ confessed her love to Doc Ock. That just felt like Slott was spitting in my face. I've been actively avoiding talking about it because it's not worth being upset about.

On top of this, I finally gave up on the Ultimate U (besides USM) and dropped UXM & Ultimates just before Superior Spider-Man happened, so with all that I went from 5 issues a month (ASM was twice a month) to 1 issue a month. That let me branch out and try some new stuff. I started getting Waid's DareDevil & Fraction's Hawkeye (both great choices) and then got caught up on Uncanny X-Force and continued over into Uncanny Avengers (amazing). I've also been reading Wolverine and the X-Men but I'm several issues behind on that b/c it kind of dropped in quality during AVX and Chris Bachelo left the title.

Oh, I'm also checking out Young Avengers but I'm not sure if I'll stick with it.

*at least not for a while...I still may buy the run off ebay when this nonsense is over. I want to continue my collection, but I'm not willing to give Marvel money for it or to read it at all until I know Peter is back - it's not worth the aggravation.

Last edited:
I wonder why I thought you were OK with all of that. Oh well.

If you're branching out I can recommend Avengers (if I haven't already) because it is great. New Avengers is also very good and they tie in together nicely without being reliant on each other to know what is going on.

I want to, but I also don't want to spend another $8 per month on comics - or $12 if I get New Avengers too. I'll read them for sure at some point, or maybe I'll drop some other comics in favour of Avengers.

I like Miles as a 13 year old. This gives him alot of innnocents still. I like that this book has alot of heart to it. My favorite moment so far has been when J.J. Jameson told the investigator that he had no interest in running a story exposing who Spiderman really is. He feels remorse for the way he treated Peter Parker all those years. He said if Spiderman is exposed then he can`t do heroic things and help people. I like how they didn`t make him "Jameson round 2" . I think it should be a gradual growth in age.

I like Miles as a 13 year old. This gives him alot of innnocents still. I like that this book has alot of heart to it. My favorite moment so far has been when J.J. Jameson told the investigator that he had no interest in running a story exposing who Spiderman really is. He feels remorse for the way he treated Peter Parker all those years. He said if Spiderman is exposed then he can`t do heroic things and help people. I like how they didn`t make him "Jameson round 2" . I think it should be a gradual growth in age.

I agree, specifically because his age allows for a certain level of innocence and naïveté that could gradually be lost by facing supervillains and crazies during his career as Spider-Man. That gradual loss over a long term would ultimately be more interesting and serve to develop the character much better than the time jump will serve. Oh, editorial decisions, often you break the heart!

Latest posts

Back