Ultimate Fantastic Four #32 (Discussion/Spoilers)

Mark Millar said:
PS People keep asking why we lost the goat-legs and ignored previous Doom, but he's exactly the same. Editorial wanted rid of the goat-legs (which I quite liked as it was unique and menacing) and so I had a scene in 31 where Reed is meeting Victor in that big room and we see servants strapping on the metal leg armour he's wearing for the rest of the ish. I never saw the finished art, but since people were asking I'm assuming it wasn't drawn. But the goat legs are under there (which seemed the simplest solution)

MM

Hooray for goat legs!

Goat legs are awesome. I'm glad they're still there.

Why would editorial want to get rid of them? I wonder if they are just dropping and ignoring it instead of explaining it like Millar tried.

Like the Clone Saga and baby May.

Hibiki said:
Is there a detailed synopsis anyone can give me?
Sure thing.

We open in Latveria, Earlier. Doom gloats about the successful mindswap. Reed complains. Doom tells him to buck up because he's more powerful now and he's the leader of a country. Sue and Ben enter and away Doom-Reed goes. They fly back to New York and the ultimates are waiting out front in case something goes wrong with the Zombie world. Doom-Reed says he has to fix Johnny first because his powers are essential to the plan he's concocted to save the Earth. Then he says the best line of the book when Dr. Storm tries to question him. "Please. It's Mister Fantastic, not Mister Mediocre." We visit the Zombies for a bit to establish that they are still evil. Then Doom-Reed casts his spell, but instead of sending the thing away to the N-Zone something went wrong and it's sitting on Johnny's chest. It zooms off to find the most powerful being around. Everyone assumes Thor, but it bowls through him to get to Reed-Doom, they lower the shields and Reed-Doom makes quick work of the zombies, tosses them through the portal and gets Victor to tell everyone the truth about what happened in Latvaria. Reed prepares to step through to the other dimension, but Doom does the honerable thing and switches back bodies, then steps through to the other dimension where he immediately picks a fight with the remaining zombies. "Hmph. Well, this should be a challenge." We see the papers say that the Fantastic Four saved the Earth (ignoring Doom's final request to be recognized for his sacrifice). The 4 + Ben's girlfriend sit around and babble about how great their life is. The end.

Last edited:
McCheese said:
Sure thing.

We open in Latveria, Earlier. Doom gloats about the successful mindswap. Reed complains. Doom tells him to buck up because he's more powerful now and he's the leader of a country. Sue and Ben enter and away Doom-Reed goes. They fly back to New York and the ultimates are waiting out front in case something goes wrong with the Zombie world. Doom-Reed says he has to fix Johnny first because his powers are essential to the plan he's concocted to save the Earth. Then he says the best line of the book when Dr. Storm tries to question him. "Please. It's Mister Fantastic, not Mister Mediocre." We visit the Zombies for a bit to establish that they are still evil. Then Doom-Reed casts his spell, but instead of sending the thing away to the N-Zone something went wrong and it's sitting on Johnny's chest. It zooms off to find the most powerful being around. Everyone assumes Thor, but it bowls through him to get to Reed-Doom, they lower the shields and Reed-Doom makes quick work of the zombies, tosses them through the portal and gets Victor to tell everyone the truth about what happened in Latvaria. Reed prepares to step through to the other dimension, but Doom does the honerable thing and switches back bodies, then steps through to the other dimension where he immediately picks a fight with the remaining zombies. "Hmph. Well, this should be a challenge." We see the papers say that the Fantastic Four saved the Earth (ignoring Doom's final request to be recognized for his sacrifice). The 4 + Ben's girlfriend sit around and babble about how great their life is. The end.

And with that, thank you sir!

Now I know I said it twice before, just to be wrong both times. But knowing Doom... the zombies are ****ed!

Last edited:
I guess that UFF is a book you have to read to like it, just reading the summaries it seems too out there and long winded

I went to Barnes and Noble and finally read the Doom arc. Pretty good and now i can see where he's coming from in this arc.

This was a great issue to end Millar's run. If there was one thing that I have to nitpick, it's that Millar failed to make this a Torch-centric arc. Johnny was more like a plot device than the star of the arc, unlike the rest.

Firts of all, when did Victor become so knowledgable in the Mystic arts?
Second, there is no way Doom is the most powerfull character in the Ultimate Universe?
Since Reed has a ever growing mind, did he manage to read all the books Doom had?

Doom and Reed are hardcore.

Doom will be back. He always comes back.

Land's Doom is stunning. As was the shot of the zombies.

Fantastic ending to a fantastic run.

searzy said:
.... I didn't know they had to physically show Doom reading up on this stuff to convince the readers that during his absence from the book he learned a trick or two.

Second, there is no way Doom is the most powerfull character in the Ultimate Universe?
Man-Thing. The "accident" did some pretty radical stuff to the team. I totally buy that Doom is the most powerful being in the UU. He was already one of the most powerful human beings before the accident and giving him that sort've power just turned him into the most terrible godlike being.

Since Reed has a ever growing mind, did he manage to read all the books Doom had?
He doesn't have superspeed.

Welcome newb.

searzy said:

Victor spent his whole childhood being versed in the legacy of Dracula. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he achieved significant mystical acumen by the time he hit puberty. Just because he didn't display his mystical prowess when he was in a scientific think tank doesn't mean he didn't possess it.

Also, he's since acquired all the libraries and other resources of Latveria. Just because the country's financially down on its luck doesn't mean it's lacking for esoteric artifacts and libraries.

What defines a powerful character? I'd say humanity's most powerful assets are our will to power and our thirst for discovery. Doom has both in spades. While Thor may have the power of the gods, Doom has the tenacity to achieve what he desires, no matter the consequences. Personally, I love the idea that this disgustingly powerful, alien entity sees Doom as its greatest vessel, becausehe has the resolve to do whatever it takes. In some twisted way, he represents the pinnacle of humanity.

Nope. But Doom said he had everything planned to the fourth decimal point, so I'm guessing he told Reed everything he'd have to know- not a word more or a word less.

And honestly? I wouldn't be surprised if the error in the accident which caused their mutations actually WAS Reed's fault.

searzy said:

I don't think Doom ended up the most powerful character during the initial N-Zone accident. He did stand well against the UFF in their first fight but there was no doubt he would lose, it was just a matter of how long Doom could take the punishment. It is highly possible that he further enhanced himself while he was busy improving Latveria.

Also, if Millar didn't want to lose the goat legs, he should have reminded Breitweiser (the guy who drew pages 2-3). The 'flashback' scene with their swapping bodies shows Reed-possessed Doom in a kneeling position and obviously having normal legs.

cmdrjanjalani said:
Also, if Millar didn't want to lose the goat legs, he should have reminded Breitweiser (the guy who drew pages 2-3). The 'flashback' scene with their swapping bodies shows Reed-possessed Doom in a kneeling position and obviously having normal legs.

Actually it was said in a interview that he is wearing armor on his feet.

Anyway, I don't think he was that strong before because Reed did say he had magical defenses on his body and what not. You guys need to pay attention :D.

You guys don't appreciate the character that Doom actually is. You don't think he's a strong man on a level of power and intelligence? You don't think the transformation uped that level? You think he's just another weak archrival that poses no threat? Maybe Millar didn't do such a great job portraying him then.

Wow, I didn't think my thread would get such a response!
I love the way Land draws! It's so real!
However, the point is taken that maybe powerfull doen not equate strength, but instead is composed of several elements.
Doom does make mistakes, he even admitted it! HE is the one that caused the accident!
Another question I have is how did Doom (Reed's mind) get to the Baxter building so fast! The team was using the fantasticar, but I remember that Doom shot it down way back, so he may have repaired it.
I know we will see the Zombie U again in the future...the fans love it!
The goat legs did suck! I hope the Doom face Land drew becomes the norm, it is amazing!

Latest posts

Back