Ultimate Human series discussion [Ellis/Nord] [spoilers]

Re: Ultimate Human #2 discussion (spoilers!)

I liked the ending to Ultimate Galactus.

So did I.
I did too until I realized that they won because Reed Richards managed to build the most bad *** gun in the history of the universe in a few weeks.

Honestly I think it would have been better if Ultimate Extinction had tied into something like God War and Four Cubed and Reed Richards had built a cosmic cube to defeat Galactus. They could have really done something dramatic like that.

I just hating giving Reed Richards credit for the most powerful weapon in the history of universe.

But the downside was he had to sacrifice a baby universe to power the gun. So he made the strongest weapon in the world, but it's drawback was too great to use more than once.

Honestly I think it would have been better if Ultimate Extinction had tied into something like God War

Warren Ellis would never have collaborated on a pile of crap like that.

I did too until I realized that they won because Reed Richards managed to build the most bad *** gun in the history of the universe in a few weeks.

Honestly I think it would have been better if Ultimate Extinction had tied into something like God War and Four Cubed and Reed Richards had built a cosmic cube to defeat Galactus. They could have really done something dramatic like that.

I just hating giving Reed Richards credit for the most powerful weapon in the history of universe.

Yeah that and... y'know - GAH LAK TUS NEVER MAKES IT ONTO EARTH.

The whole trilogy is, "OMG! GAH LAK TUS (lookit our 'realistic' spelling) IS COMING!" and then... just as he shows up. He runs the **** away.

Was I the only one who wanted to see the Ultimates fight one of those 'bullets'?

Gah Lak Tus should've been this ENORMOUS Ultivent and instead it was this little thing that happened in between Ultimates 1 and 2 that no one ever mentions again.

I'm maddened because I was partly expecting Gah Lak Tus to be the "ghostbusters" event Kong was talking about in USM. The timeline worked. Vision in Tunguska. WW2 and the Chitauri. Hearing about Gah Lak Tus and then trying to create superhumans to defeat him (super soldiers, mutants, etc) made perfect sense.

But no. He just porked his way through the galaxy, showed up, got hit ONCE, then ran away before he even ate the moon.

And another thing - he's eaten the aliens in the galaxy. With the exception of the Kree, that's why there are so FEW aliens around. But the ultiverse has ****loads of aliens... FROM ANOTHER UNIVERSE!!!!

Ah, **** it. They made a terrific ball, ran with it, then spazzed out and dropped it before the touchdown because they were too busy fancy dan-ing their way to the end zone.

Last edited:

Was I the only one who wanted to see the Ultimates fight one of those 'bullets'?

Did you read the Ultimate Vision mini?

Ah, **** it. They made a terrific ball, ran with it, then spazzed out and dropped it before the touchdown because they were too busy fancy dan-ing their way to the end zone.

Brit....reference...to...real...football.....

Brain.....exploding....

Did you read the Ultimate Vision mini?

No. I did not. I don't feel I need to read another mini-series written by another writer to get the pay off to a separate comic book. That's like going, "Man, ALIAS didn't pay anything off" and then someone saying, "Well, it's resolved in LOST." Mutha**** all y'all.

Brit....reference...to...real...football.....

Brain.....exploding....

charlesnooodg5.jpg

No. I did not. I don't feel I need to read another mini-series written by another writer to get the pay off to a separate comic book. That's like going, "Man, ALIAS didn't pay anything off" and then someone saying, "Well, it's resolved in LOST." Mutha**** all y'all.

If you had read it you'd know that it's not like that.

It's pretty much like that.

No it's not.

It would have been if, at the end of Ultimate Extinction, a "bullet" had been captured or something and left a dangling plotline, but it didn't.

Ultimate Vision did nothing to add to or "clean up" Ultimate Extinction. It was just a story that the writer was able to get out of it. If Ultimate Vision had not happened, nothing would have changed in Ultimate Galactus.

Ultimate Vision herself was pretty much a dangling plot point that needed resolution.

No it's not.

It would have been if, at the end of Ultimate Extinction, a "bullet" had been captured or something and left a dangling plotline, but it didn't.

Ultimate Vision did nothing to add to or "clean up" Ultimate Extinction. It was just a story that the writer was able to get out of it. If Ultimate Vision had not happened, nothing would have changed in Ultimate Galactus.

I see what you're saying however - the plot thread of "fighting a Gah Lak Tus bullet" is what I thought should happen in Extinction, and while its true - Extinction is closed without dangling plot threads - another comic it doing it doesn't absolve Extinction leaving it out.

But yeah - when I read the first issue (all I can remember is that I didn't care enough to look at #2) I thoguht it was cool of the writer to use a left over ruined bullet for a story seed.

Yeah that and... y'know - GAH LAK TUS NEVER MAKES IT ONTO EARTH.

The whole trilogy is, "OMG! GAH LAK TUS (lookit our 'realistic' spelling) IS COMING!" and then... just as he shows up. He runs the **** away.

Gah Lak Tus should've been this ENORMOUS Ultivent and instead it was this little thing that happened in between Ultimates 1 and 2 that no one ever mentions again.

I'm maddened because I was partly expecting Gah Lak Tus to be the "ghostbusters" event Kong was talking about in USM. The timeline worked. Vision in Tunguska. WW2 and the Chitauri. Hearing about Gah Lak Tus and then trying to create superhumans to defeat him (super soldiers, mutants, etc) made perfect sense.

But no. He just porked his way through the galaxy, showed up, got hit ONCE, then ran away before he even ate the moon.

And another thing - he's eaten the aliens in the galaxy. With the exception of the Kree, that's why there are so FEW aliens around. But the ultiverse has ****loads of aliens... FROM ANOTHER UNIVERSE!!!!

This is exactly the thing wrong with extinction. Gah Lak Tus should have been "Crap the world is seriously about to end" Making it a huge planetary struggle. But now, he doesn't even come close to earth

I see what you're saying however - the plot thread of "fighting a Gah Lak Tus bullet" is what I thought should happen in Extinction

That's your problem. :p

To be fair, were you really going to be that impressed to see Captain America throw his shield at one?

It would have been cool to see the Hulk take one out. Or Thor blasting one with lightning, but in general the Ultimates are well suited for a fight like that.
Honestly I think Ultimate Extinction suffered from its own set up. They made Galactus seem way too unstoppable.

It would have a much better story if the GAH LAK TUS swarm had been treated as something that had only ever been stopped by highly advanced warrior races. That gives future GAH LAK TUS stories a lot more leeway. I'm they've already realized that they've written themselves into a corner. I mean seriously. They had to go to another dimension to do another Galactus story.
If you had read it you'd know that it's not like that.
They did Ultimate Vision mini series because Ultimate Extinction basically wasted Galactus and Vision as a plot device.

I mean if the Apocalypse arc in Ultimate X-Men ended with Apocalypse effectively yelling, "I'll get you next time X-Men," and then ran away, Kirkman would effectively have ruined Apocalypse. This is basically what they did in Ultimate Extinction.

So. Ultimate Human #2. Fun stuff. I hope it does well so they'll give Ellis the keys to the Ultimate Sandbox instead of Loeb. Fun points.

• the pseudo science was, as always with an Ellis books excellent.
  • But it did namecheck the nano-monkies. :(
  • But we got a kickass Hulk-Iron man Fight scene!
  • and what looks like a potential set up for Banner controling his transformations better. Just not himself when transformed.

I'm liking Ultimate Leader. He seems pretty menacing but I want an explanation of him soon.

I was amazed that in this issue, not only does Ellis bring up the nano-monkey nature of Tony Stark... but he also makes it not sound crap.

I was amazed that in this issue, not only does Ellis bring up the nano-monkey nature of Tony Stark... but he also makes it not sound crap.

Word.

Warren Ellis is Future Science Jesus.

Last edited:

But the downside was he had to sacrifice a baby universe to power the gun. So he made the strongest weapon in the world, but it's drawback was too great to use more than once.

Wow a big conversation about Gah lak tus...let's bring that sub-forum back! I always thought creating a super gun and then vision going round the universe telling everyone how to make it was a huge plot thread that's hanging over the UU...I mean everyone's gonna have the ultimate ultimate nullifier. Space war...

I wish they'd bring back Captain Mahr vel...he was cool. And some more silver surfers or silver wings as they got name checked as.

Loved Ult human #2, agree with what's been said

Latest posts

Back