Ultimate Spider-Man: Death of a Goblin (#112-117) (Spoilers)

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man #116 (Spoilers)

I agree with TOG - everything about this arc has been darn near perfect.

I read this and I feel like my long lost child has finally come home.

Although I have to question how Danvers still has her job, as incompetent as she is.

And how awesome was it to have Kitty ask Pete if he needed to stay the night. She's lying; she's (maybe unconsciously) trying to make him jealous with Kong.

The scene with the SHIELD guys in the van was great. Classic USM stuff - the kind of scene I like to see in this book.

I agree with TOG - everything about this arc has been darn near perfect.

I read this and I feel like my long lost child has finally come home.

Although I have to question how Danvers still has her job, as incompetent as she is.

And how awesome was it to have Kitty ask Pete if he needed to stay the night. She's lying; she's (maybe unconsciously) trying to make him jealous with Kong.

The scene with the SHIELD guys in the van was great. Classic USM stuff - the kind of scene I like to see in this book.
Do you mean subconsciously? Because if she can do things like that while being unconscious, I think she may be a science miracle. :lol:

But yes- very good arc. And an even better next. :twisted:

:p

Last edited:

What a great run. Kitty and Peter have a great dynamic ... and Ultimate Green Goblin is just awesome, as always. Forget Ultimate Human, green goblin should fight the hulk instead. Are we to assume that all the other prisoners were recaptured? And as for Carol Danvers, I don't know if she's incompetent so much as caught in the middle. And Sharon Carter, I think, is both crooked and dead. I read it in an annual, IIRC.

Do you mean subconsciously? Because if she can do things like that while being unconscious, I think she may be a science miracle. :lol:

But yes- very good arc. And an even better next. :twisted:

:p

Amazing Friends is next, isn't it? Iceman, Spidey and Firestar (Who, I'm assuming, is Liz?)

Why couldn't it be S.H.E.I.D.? The two guys are just sitting right there in the van...

isnt it their job to catch the criminal? Not provide usefull hints and pointers to him?

Also, am I the only one who would jank a door open if someone slid a note under it? I mean, even before reading or picking the note up. Something like that wouldnt work on me.

Last edited:

*sigh*

I just read this and it was okay but felt really stupid. I mean how often are shield agents in this arc going to point their guns at Parker? Why does Danvers suck so much at this? And why is Harry saying "He killed my mommy"? I really can't take this anymore. I mean the dialog alone kills me, specially with Harry and the stake out agents. In ultimate Six Harry was done great, you didn't know if he was being fed these lines or if he really wanted to say it. Here, its so unbelievably insincere and sounds like a moron wrote this (...). And is there one shield agent who isn't either completely incompetent or a trigger happy moron? Jesus this is the highest freaking level US agency! There is good stuff, Bendis can write Ultimate Osborn like its nobody's business, really great, but all the other character dialogs just suck balls. And the story is really great, but its lost all impact for me since we've basically been waiting to see what happen since the Hobgoblin arc. So we get forty issues of crap waiting for the outcome.

You know what, I just have absolutely this title since the very start of Clone sage and this arc has done little to redeam itself. I said back during the clone saga that I was done, I was going to just let my sbscription run out and that's the end of it. Well this was the last issue, I'm done, I'm washing my hands of this. And this is the end of an era, I have all the issues up to this one, USM was my favorite title. Now I absolutely loath it. Too little, too late Bendis; Too little, too late Bendis. I'm done.

... Also I honestly don't get why people like Immonen's art so much, I can't get past those horrible faces

I love this arc. Everything post Clone Saga has been great and gives me a sliver of hope for the future of the Ultimateverse.

Ultimate Spider-Man #117 (Spoilers)

Here's the synopsis.

We start with Peter Parker waking up in his wrecked home. A short flashback of Green Goblin smacking him unconscious and running off to Harry. GG has taken the bait. Meanwhile where Danvers is waiting for Norman, she thanks Harry for helping. Seconds later though before they can send him back to safety, GG shows up. Spidey comes in tow as well to help out.

A brawl breaks out. Harry transforms into Hobgoblin to stop his father from starting another massacre. SHIELD gives Green Goblin everything they've got, but it's not enough. In blind fury, GG beats Hobgoblin fueled by what he believes is his son's betrayal. Unfortunately he does not notice that Hobgoblin can't take it anymore and has reverted back to Harry during his assault. He finds out too late and transforms back to Norman in front of Harry's lifeless body, deliberately letting SHIELD have him out of guilt and sadness. Danvers finishes him off by shooting him one last time. It is not clear if Norman was killed or not. Spidey weeps for his fallen friend and out of sheer anger tells Danvers to get the hell away from him and leaves.

On the next day back at school, Peter gives a simple speech in class about how he believes Harry is a hero because he used to protect him from bullying. MJ and Liz weep silently. The End.

It was a very heart-breaking ending honestly. Looks like all mainstream incarnations of Harry (616, Ultimate and movie) have bitten the dust, so I believe it was kind of expected. We won't have the same emotional impact if it was Norman who died. Definitely a 5/5 for me. I hope that this story arc is not a fluke and Bendis' winning streak continues with the Amazing Friends.

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man #117 (Spoilers)

This was great. The art was great, the writing as good as earlier issues of the series.
Huzzah.

I haven't finished reading the issue, I had to stop and post something.

I just recently read the post-Clone Saga stories; Knights and Death of a Goblin.

Bendis got a lot better, and Immonen is wonderful as always. Bendis has brought back a lot of the fun and character touches that got him where he is today. Unfortunately, the man's story arcs are just boring. Knights was Learning Curve with more guest stars. Save the scene of Daredevil with Kingpin's wife, it was boring repetition (the scene with Kingpin's wife was very well done). Death of a Goblin is yet another Green Goblin story and I'm bored.

Which is probably why I was so shocked to see Spidey yell, "MANISHEVITZ!"

SPIDER-MAN ISN'T JEWISH.

What's the next arc? ONE MORE DRIEDEL where Spidey is forced to retcon his life so he's a Jewish kid?

Manishevitz.

****ing hell.

Just finished the issue.

The whole arc reeked of, "I don't know what to do with the Goblins, so I'll kill them in a rather boring way that doesn't involve Spidey". Spidey doesn't do anything to either of them. It's rather boring and silly and unnecessary, I think.

But that's the bad stuff out of the way because:

The eulogy by Spidey for Harry at the end was terrific.

Last edited by a moderator:

I haven't finished reading the issue, I had to stop and post something.

I just recently read the post-Clone Saga stories; Knights and Death of a Goblin.

Bendis got a lot better, and Immonen is wonderful as always. Bendis has brought back a lot of the fun and character touches that got him where he is today. Unfortunately, the man's story arcs are just boring. Knights was Learning Curve with more guest stars. Save the scene of Daredevil with Kingpin's wife, it was boring repetition (the scene with Kingpin's wife was very well done). Death of a Goblin is yet another Green Goblin story and I'm bored.

Which is probably why I was so shocked to see Spidey yell, "MANISHEVITZ!"

SPIDER-MAN ISN'T JEWISH.

What's the next arc? ONE MORE DRIEDEL where Spidey is forced to retcon his life so he's a Jewish kid?

Manishevitz.

****ing hell.

Yeah, that was so out of place I am just going to make spidey being jewish my personal canon. Ben said he once went to a community of some sort (where he was bitten by a spider, he mentions it in the very first issue)? It is now a kibbutz. Ben is jewish and so is spidey.

Also, loved this issue.

Arrrrgh! Why does he keep getting rid of Harry?! There's so much potential in Harry and Peter's interactions, way more than Peter angsting for a couple of issues over how Harry has once again died/mutated/gone away/gone crazy!

Ha! Harry dies and
comes back from the dead
on the same day! Coincidence? I think not...
you're not saying that Ultimate Harry some how got sucked into the massive suck vortex of One More Day and got transported into the Brand New Day Universe are you? cuz i think that's what you're saying

you're not saying that Ultimate Harry some how got sucked into the massive suck vortex of One More Day and got transported into the Brand New Day Universe are you? cuz i think that's what you're saying

BENDIIIIIIIIIIIS!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back