Ultimate Spider-Man: Death of a Goblin (#112-117) (Spoilers)

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man #112 (Discussion/Spoilers)

I agree on this as well.
I dont, cool art but it felt like that part of me that died when seeing that was dug out of it's grave and used to scare the sixth graders (Name the reference and get a muffin!)
Well, looks like the school got over a crazy person in a samurai outfit driving a bus through the front door and firing guns at children real quick. :D They must be used to stuff like that by now, I guess.
One of the things I sincerly hate about USM for the past so many issues
Doom was right.

Story: 1000000% improved
Art: 10000000000000% improved

I hope to God that this signifies a turnaround in the quality of this book. This wasn't just an OK issue we've gotten in the middle of a series of crap stories (like we've had a couple of times). This is the first issue in a very very long time that made me think there might be some hope after all.

And there's no doubt as the the reason for this: Stuart Immonen. I think having a new artist has Bendis recharged and back to writing the kind of story that made this book great way back win.

I'm very pleased. Can't wait for the next issue.

I can't tell if your being sarcastic?

I dont, cool art but it felt like that part of me that died when seeing that was dug out of it's grave and used to scare the sixth graders (Name the reference and get a muffin!)

One of the things I sincerly hate about USM for the past so many issues

He's not.

I mean be honest---aside from Mighty Avengers---has Doom ever steered you wrong in an assesment of a book?

Read the current issue (even #111 where Immonen and Bags share art duty) and tell me you can't tell a difference in the positive motion?

Trust me and E on this....

He's not.

I mean be honest---aside from Mighty Avengers---has Doom ever steered you wrong in an assesment of a book?

Read the current issue (even #111 where Immonen and Bags share art duty) and tell me you can't tell a difference in the positive motion?

Trust me and E on this....

There is a difference and chance of getting better as I said I cant help but hate it because I keep thinking of the clone saga. But honestly it does have potential but I'm not ready to bend over for Bendis just yet and give this one issue such praise.

Last edited:

I bet Kristin Kreuk loves it when you cook for her.

She would love it.

We need more action in this arc.

USM01.gif

She would love it.

USM01.gif

Is that a cutscene from the video game? It looks pretty good.

Anyway... I like the way Immonen draws MJ Goblin. It looks ugly, but cool-scary-ugly-on-purpose ugly, not rat creature ugly. I also liked having her attacking the Fantastic Four... I guess Bendis really wants to incorporate them into this title, which is nice. I think he does the UFF pretty well in short doses, though I wouldn't want him on their book.

Is that a cutscene from the video game? It looks pretty good.

Yeah,.. its from the end of the game after the big fight. I guy I know put that together.

Uknow now that I think about it... Bendis should at least hint at the tie-in with the game in this arc. since both the Green Goblin and Electro is in here.

I really am not. Believe me, I'm just as surprised as you are.

That's a pretty big exception to make, but the fact that he read and liked Nightly News makes up for it.

Seriously. Trust us. It was very good.

She would love it.

USM01.gif
I love that little fight sequence.
I really am not. Believe me, I'm just as surprised as you are.

That's a pretty big exception to make, but the fact that he read and liked Nightly News makes up for it.

Seriously. Trust us. It was very good.

You do know I did actually read the issue, right? I'll hold off on the praising Bendis until I see the whole arc.

Liked it, thought the new art was great !!

Not going to miss Bagley now, as I think the art has totally changed the feel of the book, and I think its what we needed after so long !!

Good start to what should be a good story
4/5
(what's Fury up too?????? hurry up ultimates 3)

i'm pretty new to this board (2nd post ever), so i know i'm inviting a beating here, but i had one major issue with immomen's art: his faces. there was a serious lack of expressiveness and consistency, and peter comes off looking like a mongoloid half the time. maybe it's just the inking on the noses, but yeesh, some ugly stuff. didn't anyone else think so?

don't get me wrong - i thought the issue was very good, in both writing and art. the action and the colors look fantastic, which is nice, but my interest in USM comes mostly from the attention to characters, who are harder to pay attention to if their faces are a mess.

i know lots of you are glad to see bagley gone, but you have to admit, the guy could draw a decent nose.

i'm pretty new to this board (2nd post ever), so i know i'm inviting a beating here, but i had one major issue with immomen's art: his faces. there was a serious lack of expressiveness and consistency, and peter comes off looking like a mongoloid half the time. maybe it's just the inking on the noses, but yeesh, some ugly stuff. didn't anyone else think so?

don't get me wrong - i thought the issue was very good, in both writing and art. the action and the colors look fantastic, which is nice, but my interest in USM comes mostly from the attention to characters, who are harder to pay attention to if their faces are a mess.

i know lots of you are glad to see bagley gone, but you have to admit, the guy could draw a decent nose.

Nah - you won't get a "beating" for that. "D

Sometimes Immonen draws weird faces - "a mess" is a good way to describe it. They look better than Bachalo or JRJR, who are the 2 worst face artists in comic history. I don't hate it, but I do see what you mean.

Sometimes Immonen draws weird faces - "a mess" is a good way to describe it. They look better than Bachalo or JRJR, who are the 2 worst face artists in comic history. I don't hate it, but I do see what you mean.

I finally figured out what bugs me about JRJR's faces. They're drawn on. They don't have three dimensions, it doesn't look like the eyes are set into the skull or the lips have fullness, it looks like a completely flat mask with a nose attached that has a face painted on to it. A face painted on to it badly.

The only thing about JRJR's faces that bothered me was his rectangled noses. But I like his art, still.

Immonen's face here never really bothered me. Maybe I didn't pay attention much to how he did them, but nothing came out at me wrong or whatever.

I completely agree. I cant stand his faces

Nah - you won't get a "beating" for that. "D

Dillion has the worst faces.

(Not having read the issue,) I can understand what you mean.

Immonen was great on Nextwave, but that was a book where the characters were supposed to have warped, ridiculous-looking faces. They're crazy, ***-kicking, cartoon superheroes.

I can imagine Immonen having trouble with this.

I think maybe he should have done the book in his "serious" style:

superman_si_06.jpg

SID1_17.jpg

I really liked this. I love Immonen, I love the high school being used, I love Kitty. I just wish there was a mention, even an offhand comment, about Peter being held captive by the Liberators.

Also, it seems like this would make the perfect first post-Ultimates 2 issue.

Like McDonalds, I'm lovin' it.

Good to see Ms. Danvers getting alot of face time lately. Now, where the F' is Captain Marvel?

Latest posts

Back