Ultimate Spider-Man: Ultimatum (#129-133) (Spoilers/Discussion)

They already did the woman pretending to be Spider-Man thing twice, makes sense for the UU to do it and combine it with the Clone taking up the mantle thing.

But seriously, hasn't Bendis used the "Who's under the mask?" schtick far too many times by now?

So basically the last issue was a "Nuff' Said" issue. No word or thought balloons threw out the whole issue, just art. But still I felt it worked. No telling if Peter is dead. And if you look at the ultimatum issue #4, you still don't see a body just Kitty telling Logan, Kitty:"There was this flash of light Like...magic lights. And then he was gone. Logan: What do you mean gone? You mean like... Spider-Man is Dead? Kitty: Yes.. no.. maybe... ...I don't know..." So he could be dead or sent somewhere else.

After the Preview the Hulk is attack by the army and took off after destroying a helicopter. Spider-Woman searches for Peter. Kitty shows up and Spider-Woman tries to hug her and kitty just phases threw here. Spider-Woman tries to tell her is a clone of Peter. They both see some survivors and they help them. After all the people are safe they continued their search. The find his mask, Kitty then shows up at the Parker house Where Gwen, MJ, Kong, Mary Watson and Aunt May are waiting. Kitty hands MJ Peter's Mask Aunt May falls down crying, Gwen and Mary Watson comfort her. And in the last panel MJ stares at into Peter's mask,
Fin.

Last edited:
Is it supposed to be that the characters arent actually talking and they know it or is it supposed to be just like we can't hear/read it?

I now there aren't words. But is it supposed to be like an in story thing (so they know theer are no words and there is no sound effects) or is it like just not explained whether its in universe or out universe.

I now there aren't words. But is it supposed to be like an in story thing (so they know theer are no words and there is no sound effects) or is it like just not explained whether its in universe or out universe.

They're just telling the story with no dialogue. Marvel has done this before in the past (in the late 90s I think). I can think of two issues off the top of my head that have been done like this. The first was an issue of Spider-Girl when one of her villains, Crazy 8, is killed the issue before and the issue deals with the burial and the grief of Crazy 8's mother Angel Face (another villain). The lack of dialog helps portray the grief rather poignantly, which is probably what they were going for here as well (although I haven't read the issue yet).

The other was an issue of Spectacular Spider-Man (vol 2) where he's fighting clowns and the effect was very different - sort of creepy/amusing. EDIT: actually it was Peter Parker: Spider-Man vol 2 #38 and they were mimes, not clowns.

EDIT AGAIN: and actually, it wasn't the late 90s, it was 2002

Last edited:
Oh. So in the universe they think they are talking, out of the universe we know they are talking we just can't hear/read it sort of thing. Okay thank you.

uh, yeah...
there isn't some mystical thing going on preventing them from talking if that's what you mean. I'm sure there's actually lots of noise and such (including talking) going on "in universe" but the story is told silently.

I loved how artistic and avant-garde it was without any speech bubbles. It was like, so powerful and stuff. And then, just in case we didn't get how pretentious and artsy it was, it ended with "Fin". Wow.

When someone uses the french word for something, it generally means they're talking merde.

Or are French.

Anyhow, USM is over, only to be rebooted. I can totally see how this issue is a good ending to the series, paying off Roxxon, the many personal relationships within Peter's life, his problem with the police and SHIELD, and... waitaminute. A big tsunami happened and then there was a big extra-dimensional explosion. Out of the blue. For no reason.

Well, he went out like he always did. On a big, fat deus ex machina. Yippee yay.

I'm glad I didn't buy this. It took maybe a minute to read and cost an extra dollar for a reprint of an old interview. Good times, good times.

I loved how artistic and avant-garde it was without any speech bubbles. It was like, so powerful and stuff. And then, just in case we didn't get how pretentious and artsy it was, it ended with "Fin". Wow.

When someone uses the french word for something, it generally means they're talking merde.

Or are French.

Anyhow, USM is over, only to be rebooted. I can totally see how this issue is a good ending to the series, paying off Roxxon, the many personal relationships within Peter's life, his problem with the police and SHIELD, and... waitaminute. A big tsunami happened and then there was a big extra-dimensional explosion. Out of the blue. For no reason.

Well, he went out like he always did. On a big, fat deus ex machina. Yippee yay.

I think you will like this article: http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/06/0...depressing-end-of-the-ultimate-age-of-comics/

Latest posts

Back