Ultimate Spider-Man: Ultimatum (#129-133) (Spoilers/Discussion)

I think the problem with the Ultimate Universe is that it's harder and harder to predict what the bleeding edge of comics will be. Ultimates managed to be innovative by imagining the Authority in the Marvel U. While it was something that had been done before, it was something that hadn't been done with such well recognized characters.

I think Bass' parallel to Wildstorm is interesting, in that Ultimatum seems to be rushing into post-apocalyptica in the same way that Wildstorm is. The problem is, the Wildstorm of today isn't nearly as appealing as Ellis/Moore/Millar era WS. The rest of the books worked by bringing their characters to square one. But now they're at square 100+, which makes them not different from the mainstream universe at all. I think if Ultimates hadn't had Cap and Hulk and all those guys, it wouldn't have sold at all. Everyone would have passed it of as a retread of Authority. Hell, it probably wouldn't have ever made print.

Honestly, I don't have a clue what they're trying to do either. Nor am I particularly interested to see what the post-Ultimatum plans are.

Last edited:
Seriously, after this Marvel better make Loeb sign a contract stating that he is never to do a story involving mutipule books again.

As long as Loebs titles keep selling well, the only thing Marvel is going to tell him is "here is your raise. Keep up the good work!"

I honestly don't think that Marvel cares if there is a lot of after the fact b*tching about books he writes as long as people keep buying them.

As long as Loebs titles keep selling well, the only thing Marvel is going to tell him is "here is your raise. Keep up the good work!"

I honestly don't think that Marvel cares if there is a lot of after the fact b*tching about books he writes as long as people keep buying them.

I know. I just wish they would.

anyways...

It finally looks like we might actually get the next issue next week. Here a preview.

http://comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=2557&pg=1

so wait...now Kitty can't fly?

:?

I wish Bendis would make his mind up!

fly?, where... did you.??? (shakes head)

Anyways just read that latest issue, not bad. Still don't understand why it had to be delayed. But it looks like either
Spidey or Hulk, or Doc Strange
might be dead in the next issue. Or they get sent to another realm of existence for a while. Totally did not see
Nightmare
coming back.

Last edited:
Still don't understand why it had to be delayed.

Probably because of the delays in the Ultimatum mini. Immonen said the other day that this has been finished and ready to go for quite a while.

"Manoshefsky?"

Really?

And he spells it differently than he did the first time, way back in USM #46. (Yes, I know that from memory. Yes, I'm an Ultimate Spidey nerd.) Here it's spelt phonetically.

I love that you guys get all mad when Peter -- or any Bendis character -- speaks Yiddish. I think it's hysterical. Then again, I live in a largely-Jewish-populated town, so dropping "Oy"s here and there is the norm, really.

And he spells it differently than he did the first time, way back in USM #46. (Yes, I know that from memory. Yes, I'm an Ultimate Spidey nerd.) Here it's spelt phonetically.

I love that you guys get all mad when Peter -- or any Bendis character -- speaks Yiddish. I think it's hysterical. Then again, I live in a largely-Jewish-populated town, so dropping "Oy"s here and there is the norm, really.

well that explains the celebrity sightings.

oy, oy vey and tuchas, aren't a big deal it's stuff like Manoshefsky that brings out the "really?" type reactions

Bendis's use of Yiddish in USM reminds me of that episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm with Larry David pretending to be an orthodox Jew and he's just mumbling random words.

Latest posts

Back