Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk #2 discussion (spoilers)

vintsukka said:
Hulk's real name in 616 is Robert Bruce Banner. So Bruce was always a middle name but for some reason they wanted to change Robert to David for the show.

Robert, that's it.

I thought Bruce was his middle name. :D

4.95/5

Loved the David and Bixby references. Very clever, the Bixby one in particular.

I also agree that this is already looking like the best Ultimate mini yet. Even better than Ultimate Nightmare, which was brilliant.

I'm very impressed that already we're seeing hints of a couple major points in (616) Hulk's history - the fight with Wolverine, the "monster on the run" (the start of Bruce Jones's run which was really good), and the merging of the Hulk personalities. Yet it doesn't feel forced at all. That's good storytelling.

marvelman said:
Robert, that's it.

I thought Bruce was his middle name. :D

It is. I find it funny when they use the the name David for him. It reminds me why they changed the name. In the Incredible Hulk T.V. show.

UltimateE said:
4.95/5

Loved the David and Bixby references. Very clever, the Bixby one in particular.

I also agree that this is already looking like the best Ultimate mini yet. Even better than Ultimate Nightmare, which was brilliant.

I'm very impressed that already we're seeing hints of a couple major points in (616) Hulk's history - the fight with Wolverine, the "monster on the run" (the start of Bruce Jones's run which was really good), and the merging of the Hulk personalities. Yet it doesn't feel forced at all. That's good storytelling.

Indeed...loved the skin color reference...Lindelof is sure managing to cram a whole lot of story, exposition, and character development into these issues, as well as several very cool easter egg type surprises (from the Jennifer Walters thing in issue #1 to the Bixby/David references and the green/gray skin reference)...hopefully the action will come across the same way...and I think it will wonderfully with Lindelof's writing and Yu's perfectly suited pencils.

I think this very well could stand up as the best Ultimate mini ever. Awesome stuff, period.

DIrishB said:
Indeed...loved the skin color reference...Lindelof is sure managing to cram a whole lot of story, exposition, and character development into these issues, as well as several very cool easter egg type surprises (from the Jennifer Walters thing in issue #1 to the Bixby/David references and the green/gray skin reference)...hopefully the action will come across the same way...and I think it will wonderfully with Lindelof's writing and Yu's perfectly suited pencils.

I think this very well could stand up as the best Ultimate mini ever. Awesome stuff, period.

Ya, but all I gotta say. There better be some real mind blowing stuff. In the next issue.

(oh, and so you know. The reason they change his name to David in the show. They thougt the name Bruce sounded to gay.)

Last edited:
comic_geek21 said:
The issue starts as a flashback, with Banner on the aircraft carrier where he was to be executed for his crimes as The Hulk. We see that before it blows, he transforms to Hulk and manages to escape.

The issue shifts to one month later, where Banner is talking to a psychiatrist in Europe under the name 'David'. Apparently, Banner has been trying to call Betty Ross, but every time she answers, he hangs up. The psychiatrist and Banner are talking about his unwillingness to accept his feelings toward Betty. The psychiatrist remarks that maybe 'David' is afraid that Betty might say he's impotent. This is a mistake. Banner loses it and becomes the Hulk, where he proceeds to kill the psychiatrist and destroy the building.

We shift ahead another month, where Banner is now in Ireland. He makes an attempt to call Betty again, but winds up hanging up again. He is then shown in a cow pasture where a bunch of guys are making fun of him for being a vegetarian. Banner becomes the Hulk, kills the guys, and slaughters every cow in the pasture.

One month later, Banner is in a phone booth in an arabian looking city. He decides he's not going to hang up again, and calls Betty one more time, only to have a man's voice answer Betty's phone. Banner Hulk's out and.....well.....you know what comes next.

We shift ahead one more month. Banner is climbing the Himilayas in search of the Panchen Lama, who is supposed to be the greatest scholar in Buddhism. He is invited in by a monk named Steve (no, seriously) and offered some hot cocoa. Banner meets the Panchen Lama, who turns out to be a kid. The kid reveals that he knows who Banner is, and they begin to talk about the analogy of 'The chicken and the egg'. They then talk about the Hulk, and what he represents to Bruce, who responds that the Hulk is a murderer. The Lama wonders why Bruce talks about the Hulk as if it weren't him, which Bruce says "He's not.". The Lama then proposes an interesting question, "What if it is not you who changes into the Hulk, but the Hulk who changes into you?". Bruce seems taken back by this thought, and the Lama replies "Chickens and Eggs Bruce.".

We now come to the present, where Wolverine is face to face with the Hulk as we left them at the end of issue #1. Wolverine pops out his claws and says "Hello Bruce". And to Wolverine's shock, the Hulk replies "Hello yourself Logan. Would you like a hot cocoa?"

VERDICT: Very interesting. This issue pretty much shows us what Banner has been up too up till this point. It's also pretty clear that Banner has control over the Hulk, which is very interesting.

The art of the book is decent. It's no Bagley or Hitch, but it serves it's purpose of conveying the story.

The only action in this issue was of Hulk commiting acts of violence, which is still entertaining. Obviously, this issue serves it's purpose of showing what leads up to Wolverine vs the Hulk. So next issue, WE HAVE THE FIGHT!

Score: 7/10
:rockon: :rockon: THANK YOU!

Of course you comment very little.

When you murder your buddies, you have to lay low. I totally understand.

Last edited:
vintsukka said:
Hulk's real name in 616 is Robert Bruce Banner. So Bruce was always a middle name but for some reason they wanted to change Robert to David for the show.

Actually Bruce was originally his first name but during a guest-appearance in the Fantastic Four, Stan accidentally referred to him as Bob Banner throughout the issue. When a fan later pointed this out Stan, he came up with the explanation of Robert being his first name and Bruce being his middle name. They changed the name to David for the TV show because they thought Bruce was a "gay" name.

What a great issue. It causes me to consider the ramifications of what a humanized hulk might be capable of in Ultimate Extinction. Hence the delay. I would love to see hulk tear a** thru an extinction issue, side by side with the imprisoned villians of the ult. universe. They are going to need all of the help they can get. Just a thought.

bwilton said:
What a great issue. It causes me to consider the ramifications of what a humanized hulk might be capable of in Ultimate Extinction. Hence the delay. I would love to see hulk tear a** thru an extinction issue, side by side with the imprisoned villians of the ult. universe. They are going to need all of the help they can get. Just a thought.

But in the end, how satisfying would it be to have basically a rehash of the ending of Ultimates?

"great issue"

Very little happened here... don't get me wrong the little that got done was brilliantly written and Lindelof deserves all the praise he gets but... cmon?

Banner gets angry over the dumbest things... the bit in Irleland (Bixby :rockon: ) was retarded. Some overgrown bullies were pickin' on him so he Hulked out?

The Betty things were great. I was really worried that she was just written off after we see lame "pimp hulk" last issue but it's good to see she's first and foremost on his mind.

Hulk dialogue still sucks. It will never change and that depresses me.

The changing of color is interesting and wasn't explained yet so I'm anxiously waiting that.

Overall... art's good, hulk characterization is disappointing to me. It was just a mixture of a lot of good storytelling and just... little things that annoyed me or things that didn't progress the story...

3.5/5 is the most I can give it.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Hulk dialogue still sucks. It will never change and that depresses me.

You didn't think it changed?

I might have to start calling you Goodwill since you're obviously not reading the issues. :p

UltimateE said:
You didn't think it changed?

I might have to start calling you Goodwill since you're obviously not reading the issues. :p

What? How do you think it changed? I would rather Hulk not say anything at all then the way he talks. "Oooh Fishie" "Hello Logan would you like some Cocoa" :roll:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back