Ultimates 2 #11 <spoilers>

Where is Bass to comment on all this??? Baaaaaaassssss!!!!!!

But yeah----I agree with everything plungingforward said.

Great issue and all, but one thing bugs me.

How did Cap and Jan get from New York/Triskelion to Washington DC without being noticed? It kinda looks like they're running from a helicopter, but I imagine the Liberators would be grounding all flights and would kinda notice one of those things landing on the White House lawn.

Also, it took me ages to realise that the other Ultimates were in the White House because Wanda teleported them there. At least, that's the only logical explanation I could come up with.

I am going to blame this on my being under-caffeinated at the moment, but I want to get my one complaint out of the way up front... and yes, this has been beaten to death, certainly, but I was intitially a LITTLE disappointed with Issue #11.... yes, because of how long we had to wait for it. That may not be fair, and it may not be reasonable, but there it is, and I DO think it is not WHOLLY unreasonable. It is how things work, very often... we tend to judge things based, at least in part, on expectation, on the run-up accompanying the "thing" (book, movie, etc). In this case, after waiting SO long, this felt like such a FAST read. Action-heavy issues often are - yes, there is a lot of detail in the various panels that you can explore, but textless action shots simply "read" fast. I took in the whole issue in the time my family as in line at the ice cream store ... I kid you not. The issue was a great chapter in the ongoing storyline, but... after months and months and months, it was all over REAL fast. Sheesh.

Okay. Done whining. For now. *S*

A few minor logisticial quibbles aside (yeah, how DID Cap and Wanda get to DC so fast, and end up dashing across the White House lawn like that?), the issue was solid and fun. The tide begins to turn, our appetites are whetted even further for the "final" confrontation, etc. I liked that the Wasp was given a moment to demonstrate she is NOT a pushover (about time!), and it was really sweet to see Cap dish out some punishment after all the lumps the Ultimates have taken. I continue to really enjoy the characterization of the Ultimates' Tony Stark / Iron Man... frankly, it makes me realize that one of the most intelligent and PRACTICALLY smart guys in the Marvel Universe (Reed Richards has, in my view, the market cornered on the more cerebral, academic type of intelligence!) has almost never been written as such. Stark in Ultimates is excellent. And I will be very interested in seeing how the Thor/Loki thing plays out. Will EVERYONE be given unambigious "evidence" that Thor and Loki ARE Norse gods? Or will some degree of ambiguity be maintained? I find myself hoping for the latter... I think it makes things much more interesting. And I enjoyed the Hulk being worked back into the mix, while being willing to 'suspend disbelief', at least in part, as to how he got to DC just as he is needed.

I am looking forward, like most here, to the big confrontation next issue. Millar and company haven't had a misstep yet (scheduling issues aside - couldn't resist!) and that only heightens anticipation as to the payback the Ultimates (and friends) are almost certain to deliver. I hope they all bring the pain, big time. *S*

Shadow

E said:
Even though the ending was expected, to a degree, I thought it was great. They SHOULD be using Hulk. I just hope we get a decent explanation of how they were able to contact him (unless maybe this is addressed in Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk).

Great issue.

Maybe thats what the Euro Caps were on about? They knew where Banner was and 'transported' him there? Just a suggestion - if this is all happening the same day i seriously doubt international flights are still gonna be operating...

Honestly? I bet the Hulk swam.

Or Jumped.

Or Wolverine gets him back at the end of Ult. Hulk vs. Wolverine.

E said:
Hawkeye - I love how he is portrayed throughtout this series. When we see him, he's always just finished doing his thing and is standing over his enemy...I just think it's so cool that we hardly see him in the act of shooting. Like he is so good and so fast that they can't even portray it.

Great issue.

for once, we agree. though i think the effect would have been so much better if the first time we saw hawkeye we didn't see him work. then next issue would be like the first time, and he was the one to take out the syndicate man. i think this way it's a little too "ok, we saw him kick all kinds of *** in issue 8, now we don't have to show it because it takes up lots of panel room and people know he is awesome," more than "we've implied he's awesome, now let's show it." still, i like him being seen post-action. i read an artist quote once saying that the best thing to draw as far as an action composition goes is the scene right before the big climax or right after.

i don't want to repeat that many people here, and i won't bother reading 72 pages of praise to see what's been said, but i thought it was good.

you can put me in the camp of people who didn't think the art was worth the wait, though. i understand it with issue 8, and maybe issue 9. issue 8 was chaotic as hell. but this didn't seem to have as many huge double page spreads showing thousands of small figures. that hulk spread shouldn't have taken so long. and when i looked at some details, they weren't even that great! look at the hawkeye splash page, look at cap's face in the background. that's just poor! now granted, i wouldn't have looked for this if the issue came out on time, but if he's gonna take 4 months, i want the thing to be friggin' perfect.

hulk is cool though. i like how they kinda made him like the guy from tienamenn square. wonder if they will keep him on the team, or if he will just disappear. probably the latter.

bush was whatever, didn't show him in either light, for the most part. i think millar tried to do something under the radar by having him say "i don't want to SEEM like i'm cutting in runing" instead of just having him say "i don't want to cut and run." but that's minor.

i think cap has to be more graphically violent if they're going to say he kills all these dudes. they said syndicate man is dead, but only 2 of them were visibly f-ed up, and one of those was just a broken jaw. call me bloodthirsty, but i think cap should be breakin necks all the time. he shouldn't ever punch people, unless that punch will make their head instantly turn to vapor.

anyway. good issue. story was worth the wait (though thats not what caused it), art wasn't. can't wait for june 07!

also, all reading of this issue and the next 2 should be done to DVDA's "America... F*ck yeah!"

GRAHH! HULK BACK! YOU MISS HULK?! HULK MISS YOU! GRAHH!

Great issue.

HULK BLOW UP FURY LIKE FURY BLOW UP HULK!

In Soviet Russia, Hulk smash you.

This was a great fantastic issue.

But I did feel dissappointed by it. A lot happened but it didn't seem like it did.

The Hulk's return was the best part. It's on like donkey kong. I'm looking forward to the smackdown between Hulk and Abomination.

The next issue better be nothing but a giant smackdown. I want no more plot points. Just straight up fighting.

It was enjoyable but the weakest issue in the Grand Theft America arc. Why? Like most of you said it's all setup. It cuts to different people and groups and stops there for the next issue.

But you got to give Millar credit. It is impossible for an Ultimates fan to skip an issue in this series. Buying this issue is a no-brainer since I've waited so long for it. Buying the next issue is a must because of all the stuff they built up here.

Good setup issue, lots of great stuff happening and definitely putting me in the mood for #12. What I really love too is how Millar shows us why The Ultimates are the Liberators main concern. Because they are composed of the biggest badasses in the entire universe.

Cap utterly annihilating the Schizoid Man was great. So what does it matter if you can make hundreds of copies of yourself? Steve Rogers can crack a thousand heads just as easily as one. My favorite part of the scene though is how totally terrified the Super-Grunts were of Cap. These guys just helped smash a fleet of helicarriers and destroy the Triskelion, subdue New York City, and wipe out SHIELDS super-army. Yet at the mere sight of Cap they automatically resort to hiding behind the Wasp. Real tough ;).

Hawkeye. No other words for it, his name has just become synonymous for me with the utter top-tier of people you don't want to **** with. That scene was just excellent, especially Wasp's reaction and his response. Almost broke my heart.

I can't wait too see Iron Man. I loved how pods 1 through 5 on the station were kinda tiny and pod 6 was just HUGE. What I really hope though is that it isn't some kind of massive War Machine but an armor that Stark has developed with the addition of technology taken from the various alien encounters, ie Chitauri, Kree, ect. Something really different and not what we're expecting too see. With a line while he's kicking the Crimson Dynamo and all his duplicates *** like, "It's amazing what tech salvaged from two alien invasions and an assault from another universe can do."

The Colonel was great. That "On your feet, sir--" line was the perfect setup for the throwdown which I am anxiously awaiting.

Hulk. So good to see him back. And you know what's really terrific? He's REALLY green ;). Anyways, I'm looking forward to how he handles Abomination, probably a whole bunch of the footsoldiers, and the publics reaction after it's all done. I'm curious though as too how Banner's new control works. Is it like the Professor Hulk mentality, or maybe something more like Joe Fixit? Is it just Banner in control of the powers and his more basic emotions, or a separate persona? How fine is the control? I'm sure he's still going to go Savage, especially as he gets mad, but will it mean another rampage or will Banner's control reinstate after he calms down? I'm just looking forward to seeing how it's handled. Oh, and HULK SMASHING.

So, I'm wondering how the final square-offs will go. Cap will definitely fight the Colonel. Hulk ditto Abomination and Iron Man Dynamo. Will Wasp and maybe Wanda handle Swarm while Quicksilver finally comes back online and is able to help Hawkeye against Hurricane? Thor I'm sure will definitely deal with Perun, but I hope it's not even a fight just more like Thor "reclaiming" the lightning and dispensing of the false god. Then he can turn his sights on Loki. As it stands, I think Loki is going to either cut and run with the excuse that enough mischief has been caused or some such thing. I don't think he's going to get captured, but with any luck we will see some godly showdown.

Truth be told, I don't know where to put Pym in this and I have bad feelings for him. I get the sense that something is gonna push him to finally snap and send the Ultron's in against the heroes. My bet is this (and the mopping up of the rest of the invasion force) is where the rest of heroes and Captains and other surviving supers are gonna come into play. Just have to wait and see. 12 is gonna be double sized, right? I'm sure we're gonna get a major punch into the face, stomach and whatever other sensitive region that hurts the most by the sheer craziness of it. Here's hoping it DOES come out when they promise it ;).

My thoughts on the issue: :D :D :D :D :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

NEXT ISSUE IS GOING TO ROCK!!!!

Entropy said:
As it stands, I think Loki is going to either cut and run with the excuse that enough mischief has been caused or some such thing. I don't think he's going to get captured, but with any luck we will see some godly showdown....

That's what I'm thinking. Although looks can be misleading...he doesn't look like much of a scrapper.

Loki's gonna blow his top. His whole plan is failing with the Ultimates coming back together to fight the good fight. When he loses, he's gonna lose his cool and get desperate showing a smidge of his god-Like (even though Loki isn't supposed to be a god) power and Odin's gonna open a can on him. This will be the end of Loki for a bit... not the final end of him but just to take him out of the spotlight for a while.

Latest posts

Back