Ultimates 3 #1-5 discussion [Loeb/Madureira] [spoilers]

Re: Ultimates 3 #1 spoiler/discussion

I just want to make it known that i don't understand the big attraction of the Wasp

all this talk that "You can't have the Avengers without Jan" is rediculous, i mean she's about as interesting as Ms. Marvel (not exactly a compliment), and they put her in charge of the Ultimates instead of say CAP or uh TONY, it's bullcrap

while she has demonstrated some competency in this incarnation she hasn't done anything noteworthy enough to put her in charge of this team

showing your tatas doesn't cut it anymore?

you're a sexist.

"No more Wandas."

You know what? I didn't hate it. The writing was certainly more juvenile, but my expectations were really low to begin with. Someone mentioned Venom being susceptible to electricity, and Loeb actually honored that. Thor said he was taken by surprise with that first hit. When he came around full force, he turned Venom into "poo".

I think the art is very pretty, but yeah, not great at telling the story yet. There's no progression. Several times someone appeared out of nowhere, which made for some nice surprise attacks and pretty poses, but kind of a cheap gimmick. That may have been Loeb's fault?

Anyway, I'm intrigued.
3/5.

It's obvious that Venom was looking for Wanda, first of all.

Second of all, there's probably something more to the triangle that is the Lehnsherr family. Quicksilver and Wanda may not be related, after all. I'll make that prediction now.

Thor, then. Wasp is so insignificant and it just kind of annoys me when they make her more important then she should be.

Never said i liked Wasp a leader.

BTW,where did fury go?

while i respect your right to free speech and whatever, how do you keep a straight face while typing these things?

The millar thin was me being funny but i am completly serious in saying that Ms.Marvel is awesome.

This is why you're Venom Melendez

Thanks.

........That is a compliment right?

i liked the issue, but I have one major problem with it:

Why the **** is Thor still speaking in ye olde english? He's a norse god, who came from norwegia. Give him a norwegian accent, no problem, but there is no ****ing way he speaks Ye olde english. Just because the 616version is retarded doesnt mean this one should be too. (For those who havent noticed: I hate 616 Thor with a passion ).

I liked that they brought in Venom as an excuse to bring in Spidey, that feels realistic!

Hank suiciding on pills? I hope Loeb knows Hank's a scientist. If he wants to commit suicide, he knows what to take to make sure he dies. In other words, if this was a suicide and Hank survives, it'll be horrible, horrible writing.

Also, I like the widow coming back to haunt Tony, and I also like that tony is drinking so much he cant even suit up. Poor guy's hit rock bottom.

Hawkeye saying 'unless WE take care of it' referring to quicksilver and wanda and then wanda getting shot... Are we gonna see him turn into ultimate bullseye?

Also, Cap and Panther are never around at the same time. Cap vouched for panther to get him on the team, but where would cap have met panther? He doesnt know anyone in the future? Is Cap Black Panther? Did Loeb make the most recognisable black character in marvel history WHITE? If so: Warning!!! ****storm approaching!!

i liked the issue, but I have one major problem with it:

Why the **** is Thor still speaking in ye olde english? He's a norse god, who came from norwegia. Give him a norwegian accent, no problem, but there is no ****ing way he speaks Ye olde english. Just because the 616version is retarded doesnt mean this one should be too. (For those who havent noticed: I hate 616 Thor with a passion ).

I liked that they brought in Venom as an excuse to bring in Spidey, that feels realistic!

Hank suiciding on pills? I hope Loeb knows Hank's a scientist. If he wants to commit suicide, he knows what to take to make sure he dies. In other words, if this was a suicide and Hank survives, it'll be horrible, horrible writing.

Also, I like the widow coming back to haunt Tony, and I also like that tony is drinking so much he cant even suit up. Poor guy's hit rock bottom.

Hawkeye saying 'unless WE take care of it' referring to quicksilver and wanda and then wanda getting shot... Are we gonna see him turn into ultimate bullseye?

Also, Cap and Panther are never around at the same time. Cap vouched for panther to get him on the team, but where would cap have met panther? He doesnt know anyone in the future? Is Cap Black Panther? Did Loeb make the most recognisable black character in marvel history WHITE? If so: Warning!!! ****storm approaching!!

Many are speculating that
Panther is actually Nighthawk from the Supremeverse. Marvel has repeatedly stated that a character or two would be switching universes permanently after the events of Ultimate Power, where Cap would have met him.

Last edited:

i am completly serious in saying that Ms.Marvel is awesome.

her book is passable at it's very best, thanks to machineman. and her new status is just about as forced as The Sentry's very existence

on a seperate note

for some reason i kinda expect Panther to be Fury, don't know why. mainly because of Cap vouching for him and Wasp not having the clearence to know who he is

i also think that character's like Hawk-Owl, Captain Mar-Vehl, Vision, and Falcon should be given chances before they introduced new characters

Last edited:

her book is passable at it's very best, thanks to machineman. and her new status is just about as forced as The Sentry's very existence

on a seperate note

for some reason i kinda expect Panther to be Fury, don't know why. mainly because of Cap vouching for him and Wasp not having the clearence to know who he is

i also think that character's like Hawk-Owl, Captain Mar-Vehl, Vision, and Falcon should be given chances before they introduced new characters

Isnt vision in space though?

I seciond Mar-vehl

i don't remeber UV#5 very well but i beleive she has to stay on earth for the next while

Correct. She's living with Sam Wilson.

Correct. She's living with Sam Wilson.

For only about a month until she heals herself, then she's moving on, as i recall her saying.

Many are speculating that
Panther is actually Nighthawk from the Supremeverse. Marvel has repeatedly stated that a character or two would be switching universes permanently after the events of Ultimate Power, where Cap would have met him.

Its him.

:shock:

Last edited:

Yeah - so this was just stupid.

Mad's art was much better than I expected, but the story was just as stupid as I assumed it would be.

A meaningless contrived fight (no one, in the history of ever, is so vague when describing a noun - it's so silly to have Venom never mention who "she" is, nor have any of the heroes try to, y'know - find out), followed by TWO shock deaths... the whole comic RELIES on you having read and enjoyed other comics in order to get any kind of emotional or visceral enjoyment out of it. If you haven't read THE ULTIMATES before, you don't know who these characters are, nor what they're up to. Really imagine that you've NEVER heard of these characters before and then try to make sense of the plot. What does it mean that Hank is overdosed? What does it mean that Wanda is dead?

Without meaning, the planet can blow up, who cares?

What's even MORE confusing is the fact that not only does the comic rely on previous comics in order to gain meaning, it then goes out of its way to alienate those who HAVE. Hawkeye is not only in a completely different costume - but a wise-cracking jackass. He's not an eccentric professional, he's just a curmudgeon. Panther is BRAND NEW. We know NOTHING about him. They're NOT in the Triskelion anymore (obviously they're in Tony's mansion but it's NEVER STATED). There's no SHIELD. Wasp is in CHARGE and friendly Hank (?!). Captain America's barely in it but wearing his old costume; same for Iron Man (though it seems it doesn't take a team and 90 minutes for him to suit up anymore according to Wasp's dialogue). Thor is in it but TALKS COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY and has a beard and is dating Valkyrie, whom we thought had no powers. Hulk's absent too.

I swear, it reads like they've NOT READ ULTIMATES 2. It barley makes any sense as a threequel.

And if you haven't read ULTIMATES 2... then it doesn't make sense.

I have to ask if ANYONE is editing this book.

It's so stupid, I can't even get angry with it.

3/5 Kahns

PS - If you liked it; more power to you. Glad you did. Hope you continue to like it. :)

Last edited:

Mad's art was much better than I expected, but the story was just as stupid as I assumed it would be.

A meaningless contrived fight (no one, in the history of ever, is so vague when describing a noun - it's so silly to have Venom never mention who "she" is, nor have any of the heroes try to, y'know - find out), followed by TWO shock deaths... the whole comic RELIES on you having read and enjoyed other comics in order to get any kind of emotional or visceral enjoyment out of it. If you haven't read THE ULTIMATES before, you don't know who these characters are, nor what they're up to. Really imagine that you've NEVER heard of these characters before and then try to make sense of the plot. What does it mean that Hank is overdosed? What does it mean that Wanda is dead?

What's even MORE confusing is the fact that not only does the comic rely on previous comics in order to gain meaning, it then goes out of its way to alienate those who HAVE. Hawkeye is not only in a completely different costume - but a wise-cracking jackass. He's not an eccentric professional, he's just a curmudgeon. Panther is BRAND NEW. We know NOTHING about him. They're NOT in the Triskelion anymore (obviously they're in Tony's mansion but it's NEVER STATED). There's no SHIELD. Wasp is in CHARGE and friendly Hank (?!). Captain America's barely in it but wearing his old costume; same for Iron Man (though it seems it doesn't take a team and 90 minutes for him to suit up anymore according to Wasp's dialogue). Thor is in it but TALKS COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY and has a beard and is dating Valkyrie, whom we thought had no powers. Hulk's absent too.

I swear, it reads like they've NOT READ ULTIMATES 2. It barley makes any sense as a threequel.

3/5 Kahns

PS - If you liked it; more power to you. Glad you did. Hope you continue to like it. :)

Yeah, this sounds completely retarded.

Last edited:

3/5 Kahns

OMGOMGOMG! E, what does this mean for the site???

Latest posts

Back