Ultimates 3 #1-5 discussion [Loeb/Madureira] [spoilers]

Re: Ultimates 3 #1 spoiler/discussion

OMGOMGOMG! E, what does this mean for the site???

It means the same thing it's meant for the past few months. The quality of comics has gone down and so has the morale. I can't believe Marvel took one of there most epic storylines and **** all over it. They whored the ultimate universe out.

It means the same thing it's meant for the past few months. The quality of comics has gone down and so has the morale. I can't believe Marvel took one of there most epic storylines and **** all over it. They whored the ultimate universe out.

....like a coosed up hussie on the corner. Where do you go these days anyway?

Yep, the last stronghold of the UU, has fallen

Time for BURNINATION!

8bnvpyq.jpg

djf is disappointed that you're not all ripping this **** a new one.

I haven't read it yet, but I can't wait until I do so I can tear into it.

It barley makes any sense

If it was about barley it wouldn't make any sense at all.

Wheat or rye, maybe.

I just read it.

The thing that pissed me off the most was killing Wanda, a character was so underused, that I wanted to see more of.

And the incest relationship...no. Just no.

Venom was nothing like he was before.

Or Thor

Or Hawkeye.

I didn't find the story that bad as a normal Avengers story, but not Ultimates.

That's been alluded to for a long time

But the good thing (there's a good thing about incest?) was that Millar played it subtlety... it was there if you were looking for it, but otherwise it wasn't that big of a thing. I haven't read the issue yet, but it sounds like Loeb is making it a big thing.

But the good thing (there's a good thing about incest?) was that Millar played it subtlety... it was there if you were looking for it, but otherwise it wasn't that big of a thing. I haven't read the issue yet, but it sounds like Loeb is making it a big thing.

Yeah, it was well played with Millar. Here it just sounds like blatantly stated it like it was his idea. you could have made better/more dramatic/good story build up to the official revelation

Last edited:

I just read it.

I did last night before I went to bed.

Nightmares.

The thing that pissed me off the most was killing Wanda, a character was so underused, that I wanted to see more of.

Yup, but that Loeb, SHOCK MOMENT!

And the incest relationship...no. Just no.

That's been implied since the beginning. Back in the Ultimate Xmen, when Cyke was dating Wanda, and Quickie was all pissed off. And in the Ultimates, they are always seen, touching each other, or near each other, and even out on romantic getaways with each other.

Venom was nothing like he was before.

Neither was Wasp. Why would she be the commander again? No reason, let's just make her one, OKAY! And I didn't know she could be in full size mode and still have the wings. I thought the wings only came about in pixie mode.

I truly think JMS screwed up and had Thor speak viking speak, no one caught it and it went through. And now Loeb is going to have to explain it.

Or Hawkeye.

Believe it or not, I liked Hawkeye in this issue and it would make sense. His family kept him grounded, normal, and now without his family to keep him grounded, he's become more of a killer than anything else. His character was the one I enjoyed even though his costume looked like Grifter in purple.

I didn't find the story that bad as a normal Avengers story, but not Ultimates.

Yup

idont see the big Deal.

i mean new writer new directions. happends everytime.

Like Thunderbolts(I perfered Fabians version personaly).

And hey wanda is hot if she was my sister id do her too.

Thunderbolts I felt, was much better with Fabian writing it.

But the story seems wack yo!

But more power to you if you are enjoying it

her book is passable at it's very best, thanks to machineman. and her new status is just about as forced as The Sentry's very existence

on a seperate note

for some reason i kinda expect Panther to be Fury, don't know why. mainly because of Cap vouching for him and Wasp not having the clearence to know who he is

i also think that character's like Hawk-Owl, Captain Mar-Vehl, Vision, and Falcon should be given chances before they introduced new characters

Word.

I loved Mar-Vehl and NO ONE'S touched him since he was introduced. Even with Ultimates 2 big crossovers we didn't get a single shot of Mar-Vehl kicking ***.

Yeah - so this was just stupid.

Mad's art was much better than I expected, but the story was just as stupid as I assumed it would be.

A meaningless contrived fight (no one, in the history of ever, is so vague when describing a noun - it's so silly to have Venom never mention who "she" is, nor have any of the heroes try to, y'know - find out), followed by TWO shock deaths... the whole comic RELIES on you having read and enjoyed other comics in order to get any kind of emotional or visceral enjoyment out of it. If you haven't read THE ULTIMATES before, you don't know who these characters are, nor what they're up to. Really imagine that you've NEVER heard of these characters before and then try to make sense of the plot. What does it mean that Hank is overdosed? What does it mean that Wanda is dead?

Without meaning, the planet can blow up, who cares?

What's even MORE confusing is the fact that not only does the comic rely on previous comics in order to gain meaning, it then goes out of its way to alienate those who HAVE. Hawkeye is not only in a completely different costume - but a wise-cracking jackass. He's not an eccentric professional, he's just a curmudgeon. Panther is BRAND NEW. We know NOTHING about him. They're NOT in the Triskelion anymore (obviously they're in Tony's mansion but it's NEVER STATED). There's no SHIELD. Wasp is in CHARGE and friendly Hank (?!). Captain America's barely in it but wearing his old costume; same for Iron Man (though it seems it doesn't take a team and 90 minutes for him to suit up anymore according to Wasp's dialogue). Thor is in it but TALKS COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY and has a beard and is dating Valkyrie, whom we thought had no powers. Hulk's absent too.

I swear, it reads like they've NOT READ ULTIMATES 2. It barley makes any sense as a threequel.

And if you haven't read ULTIMATES 2... then it doesn't make sense.

I have to ask if ANYONE is editing this book.

It's so stupid, I can't even get angry with it.

3/5 Kahns

PS - If you liked it; more power to you. Glad you did. Hope you continue to like it. :)

I agree with this.

With Magneto coming in...yeah. It's going to be a big thing...and may involve time travel.

And the thing I hate the most...Wanda dying. I've always liked Scarlet Witch, I don't know why she's a deus ex machina with ****, but I've always liked her. In 616 she's a loon and mostly forgotten about and no writer has a story for her...so she stays gone.

In Ultimates she was underused and a writer could come in and really change the character as they wanted and make her mean something within the Ultimate Universe. The Loeb kills her and Hank and says, "Which dies NEXT ISSUE!"

And I'm left mad because Hank was in jail for being a traitor and now he's not and Wanda has loads of potential.

I don't care. More and more I don't give a **** about comics anymore. This was bad.

This issue was BAD. Loeb is royally screwing this title up IMO. None of these characters sound like the characters we have been reading in the past 2 volumes. Venom, is more like 616 Venom than ultimate venom, with no explanation. (Where was Eddie in the pile of goo anyway? And since when does Ultimate Venom have spideys 616 black costume on?)

Turning UU characters into their 616 counterparts seems to kind of defeat the purpose of the UU doesn't it? The did it with Dr Doom too, which really hacked me off because I liked Ultimate Dr Doom and that he wasn't just an angry guy in a metal suit. Stupid. I knew tapping Loeb for this project was a mistake. The guy sucks. His last Wolverine arc where he killed Sabretooth was stupid too. And the art in this book is passable but as others have pointed out, it does not tell the story very well. And is it me or does the coloring make everything sort of look.....fuzzy or blurry? (maybe I just need glasses. Doh!)

Anyway...phew. I feel better now.

well 616 is not completely left alone. i think heinberg has plans for her as well as bendis but he's been sitting on the plot. so she's not left alone really, it's more of waiting for the right time to bring her back.

That's been implied since the beginning. Back in the Ultimate Xmen, when Cyke was dating Wanda, and Quickie was all pissed off. And in the Ultimates, they are always seen, touching each other, or near each other, and even out on romantic getaways with each other.

And on one of those getaways Pietro was reading "She Walks in Beauty" by George Gordon, Lord Byron, a Romantic poem written to his cousin. Nevermind the fact that Byron was known for his incestuous relationships anyway...big obvious clues stuck in there all along.

And on one of those getaways Pietro was reading "She Walks in Beauty" by George Gordon, Lord Byron, a Romantic poem written to his cousin. Nevermind the fact that Byron was known for his incestuous relationships anyway...big obvious clues stuck in there all along.

Yes, but few people would know the poem and about Lord Byron enough to figure that out. The gonadal ride and reading poetry was enough for most people to really figure it out. I gave that to a friend who read Volume 1 before it and he read that page and looked at me and said, "Scarlet Witch and..."

"Yep," I said.

"Wow..." he said.

I smiled.

This issue was BAD. Loeb is royally screwing this title up IMO. None of these characters sound like the characters we have been reading in the past 2 volumes. Venom, is more like 616 Venom than ultimate venom, with no explanation. (Where was Eddie in the pile of goo anyway? And since when does Ultimate Venom have spideys 616 black costume on?)

It happend in the Ultimate Spider-man game...and its Canon

A new writer and artist have the right and the responsibility to take the series in a new direction, but if you're going to break from the past, break from the past. Ultimates 1 + 2 were awesome, but they're over now. Ditch the Tony and Natasha thing, leave out the hasty, in-story explanations (or give us a little summary in a box or something) introduce a story and get the ball rolling. Plenty of room in a later issue to let us know exactly when and why Thor started sounding ridiculous. They should have called this "Ultimate Avengers" and put the government-employed "Ultimates" to bed.

I don't think I'm going to keep following this series. I never much cared for the 616 avengers and this seems very much like that. I don't like the costumes, the characters or the story so far. I don't fault the artist and writer for making the series their own, though, and I wish them well.

Latest posts

Back