Uncanny X-Men series discussion (Spoilers!)

So about #515:

Dr. Yuriko Takiguchi... :cry:

The beginning was weird. More new people? After HoM, we still get introduced with more new mutants. I know that 198 was never an exact number, but I though Marvel said this wouldn't happen? But I know they say one thing and then show another, so it's not a total surprise...

Now, I'm glad Scott isn't trying to be all bossy and mean against Charles anymore, because that actually got to me, but Scott seems different again. I mean, even I'm surprised about how he acted about what to do with Yurikos body....

Though it's all very interesting. Scott for once not sure what to do at this point, how to go on about it all...I actually like it. Also, I like the idea of Danger being like a warden to the mutant the X-Men have as prisoners. Like to see where this goes.

The piece of Void within Emma is making things quite a read. The way she acts reminds me of her old self, though it's not her fault...completely (hehe).

Magneto showing up at the end is a bit of a lackluster ending (is that the right word?). It's not exciting, especially since we knew this arc involves him, it's just....well...there.

Beast never left as the solicitation stated he would, or rather "teased" at. And the cover was different, too. I'd rather have had the Beast cover, but I guess it was changed since he didn't actually leave.

So, in issue 517, it's going to be revealed that
Psylocke grew out of Namor's chest, like the Greek gods from the Titans.

919722-119_uncanny_x_men_517_super.jpg

See?

Edit: Hm. Or is that Matt Damon with elf ears?

Last edited:
So about #515:

Dr. Yuriko Takiguchi... :cry:

The beginning was weird. More new people? After HoM, we still get introduced with more new mutants. I know that 198 was never an exact number, but I though Marvel said this wouldn't happen? But I know they say one thing and then show another, so it's not a total surprise...

Now, I'm glad Scott isn't trying to be all bossy and mean against Charles anymore, because that actually got to me, but Scott seems different again. I mean, even I'm surprised about how he acted about what to do with Yurikos body....

Though it's all very interesting. Scott for once not sure what to do at this point, how to go on about it all...I actually like it. Also, I like the idea of Danger being like a warden to the mutant the X-Men have as prisoners. Like to see where this goes.

The piece of Void within Emma is making things quite a read. The way she acts reminds me of her old self, though it's not her fault...completely (hehe).

Magneto showing up at the end is a bit of a lackluster ending (is that the right word?). It's not exciting, especially since we knew this arc involves him, it's just....well...there.

Beast never left as the solicitation stated he would, or rather "teased" at. And the cover was different, too. I'd rather have had the Beast cover, but I guess it was changed since he didn't actually leave.

I pretty much agree with all of this. I hope Scott doesn't have a nervous breakdown anytime soon. Did anyone read Dark Reign: The List-X-Men? It was really more about Namor but I thought it was still pretty solid and I liked Scott's speech about being on a team means that someone's got your back. Also, isn't the Agents of Atlas crossover this week?

So, in issue 517, it's going to be revealed that
Psylocke grew out of Namor's chest, like the Greek gods from the Titans.

919722-119_uncanny_x_men_517_super.jpg

See?

Edit: Hm. Or is that Matt Damon with elf ears?

I didn't used to hate Greg Land like everyone else back when he wasn't drawing every ****ing cover ever but holy ****, that is terrible. He forgot to draw half of a person. How did that get through?!

I thought that Dark Reign The List X-Men A Bunch More Titles For No Reason one shot was pretty miserable. It just seemed like a waste. Osborn sends a monster after Namor. Boring.

Last edited:
I didn't used to hate Greg Land like everyone else back when he wasn't drawing every ****ing cover ever but holy ****, that is terrible. He forgot to draw half of a person. How did that get through?!

I thought that Dark Reign The List X-Men A Bunch More Titles For No Reason one shot was pretty miserable. It just seemed like a waste. Osborn sends a monster after Namor. Boring.

It wasn't just a monster, it was his ex wife. I thought it was a decent epilogue to the Dark Avengers crossover.

The actual art isn't that bad, but the composition is ****ing terrible.

So IGN posted an editorial about how they think Uncanny should go weekly or trice-monthly. While I find most of IGN's articles useless, I think this is a good idea (Don't get me wrong. It's still a uselessly repetitive article, but it's a good idea). I'd keep Astonishing around as the prestige book with top-notch creative teams and more flexible release schedules, and X-Factor around because it's really off doing its own thing, and then slide the other X-books and various anthology tales back into Uncanny.

I think the soap opera stylings of Uncanny would make it a good fit for that kind of format, and with the current direction of the story, it's just about the perfect time. You have an enormous ensemble cast that all rotates around a centralized locale. Let Fraction lead a group of writers and fold some of the more extraneous books into Uncanny. I think it would work particularly well if you upped the page count and gave the book a backup. That way you could fold, say, Cable, New X-Men, Legacy, and X-Force into the rotating backup, and then when their story takes center stage, push them up to the main feature. A double page count would be tough for an editor, but I think if the output from all these excess books were folded into a backup, it might actually lighten the load of the X-editor.

I think it would provide an interesting experiment with event comics. With Spider-Man, the whole book focuses on one character, but X-Men are event whores and with, for instance, Necrosha over in X-Force, you could easily shift the main feature to X-Force and do the tie-in stories with Legacy and New Mutants in the backup. At a time where events run the better part of a year, you could easily have a perpetual "big event" feel with the X-Men, have all the "tie-ins" contained within the main book, and have a large enough cast rotating through the features that event overload would really be a non-issue.

Last edited:
Definitely. I've thought the same thing, especially since they now basically have all the same cast.

I am surprised that you two read Uncanny. I don't mean anything by that, it just doesn't seem like a book you (especially Proj) would like. Is it just because it's Brubaker?

I haven't been reading it...I read Fall of the Shi'ar Empire and thuoght it was pretty good but haven't been much interested since. I'm not a huge X-Men fan at all; I liked Astonishing under Whedon but that's about it.

So IGN posted an editorial about how they think Uncanny should go weekly or trice-monthly. While I find most of IGN's articles useless, I think this is a good idea (Don't get me wrong. It's still a uselessly repetitive article, but it's a good idea). I'd keep Astonishing around as the prestige book with top-notch creative teams and more flexible release schedules, and X-Factor around because it's really off doing its own thing, and then slide the other X-books and various anthology tales back into Uncanny.

I think the soap opera stylings of Uncanny would make it a good fit for that kind of format, and with the current direction of the story, it's just about the perfect time. You have an enormous ensemble cast that all rotates around a centralized locale. Let Fraction lead a group of writers and fold some of the more extraneous books into Uncanny. I think it would work particularly well if you upped the page count and gave the book a backup. That way you could fold, say, Cable, New X-Men, Legacy, and X-Force into the rotating backup, and then when their story takes center stage, push them up to the main feature. A double page count would be tough for an editor, but I think if the output from all these excess books were folded into a backup, it might actually lighten the load of the X-editor.

I think it would provide an interesting experiment with event comics. With Spider-Man, the whole book focuses on one character, but X-Men are event whores and with, for instance, Necrosha over in X-Force, you could easily shift the main feature to X-Force and do the tie-in stories with Legacy and New Mutants in the backup. At a time where events run the better part of a year, you could easily have a perpetual "big event" feel with the X-Men, have all the "tie-ins" contained within the main book, and have a large enough cast rotating through the features that event overload would really be a non-issue.

That's a pretty good idea, Agents of Atlas has been doing that and I think it works really well.

I am surprised that you two read Uncanny. I don't mean anything by that, it just doesn't seem like a book you (especially Proj) would like. Is it just because it's Brubaker?

I haven't been reading it...I read Fall of the Shi'ar Empire and thuoght it was pretty good but haven't been much interested since. I'm not a huge X-Men fan at all; I liked Astonishing under Whedon but that's about it.

Matt Fraction has been writing Uncanny since Brubaker left (around 505 or so I think).

I'm normally not much of an X-Men fan, but I've picked up the last few issues because I like Fraction. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'll keep reading it, honestly.

I'm only reading it because it's Fraction. He's set up some interesting ideas that were placed aside for that boring Dark Avengers crossover but now it seems they're being utilized. It's not a bad comic, just often boring, especially compared to Invincible Iron Man, which is awesome.

I'm only reading it because it's Fraction. He's set up some interesting ideas that were placed aside for that boring Dark Avengers crossover but now it seems they're being utilized. It's not a bad comic, just often boring, especially compared to Invincible Iron Man, which is awesome.

or Casa-mother****ing-Nova!

Fraction's juggling a lot of cool ideas, but with a monthly schedule, it's kind of hard for him to regularly hit all the major beats.

He's returning in Dark Reign: The List - Wolverine by Jason Aaron

Him and Marvel Boy are fighting Wolverine

I think Aaron may be crushing on Morrison with that one

Latest posts

Back