thread-is-about-comics.png

Discussion on this kind of died off, which is weird because I think we were basically in agreement that it is awesome.

The hardcover edition came out a few weeks ago and I picked it up and it's really nice. The quality of the print seems to be better than I remember the "newspaper" ones to be. The book is huge - I believe it is the same size as the originals - so it's awkward to read but it's still great.

Also, it's nice because each series is collected chronologically in its entirety so you get each story as a whole without it being broken up.

I'll see if I can remember to post pictures of it.

On a whim, for basically no reason, I decided to re-read this. I read scans so that took the experience factor completely out of it, but the real purpose was just to reacquaint myself with the stories because I had forgotten most of them. Here's how I rate them:

Batman: 6/10. Nothing special but not a bad story. Art is OK.
Kamandi: 10/10. Loved the narrative style and Ryan Sook's art is really great.
Superman: 3/10. Decent art but the story did nothing for me.
Deadman: 10/10. Probably my favorite art. The colors are beautiful and the story was good and easy to follow.
Supergirl: 9/10. Absolutely adorable and a good, fun read. Loved the ending. Art is great.
Green Lantern: 7/10. Enjoyed the art, but the story was only above-average.
Metamorpho: 7/10. Hard to grade this one - the story is uneven in its quality. This seemed to get a lot of praise in this thread but it didn't do much for me. But Allred's art is spectacular.
Teen Titans: 0/10. Couldn't force myself to care about whatever was going on with the story and the art was bland.
Strange Adventures: 5/10. I loved the art style but the story did nothing for me.
Hawkman: 6/10. The art didn't really do much for me and the story was only pretty good toward the end.
Metal Men: 0/10. Dumb story, and I hated the way the Metal Men's faces looked.
Wonder Woman: 7/10. I absolutely LOVED the art and the layout, but it was so hard to read and follow. The story seemed too complex for this format. Maybe just because I'm dumb? Dunno. I really wanted to like it but it was too hard to follow.
Sgt. Rock: 5/10. Completely average in every way.
The Flash: 7/10. I liked how Flash's and Iris's stories were split into different strips. I don't care for Flash science though because it makes no sense, and this story was married to it.
Demon Cat & Catwoman: 0/10. Terrible. The story was crap and the art was bad. What is the point if this weird team-up?

I never read this the first time around but I picked up the single issues off ebay and maybe I will read one a week like it should have been.

Latest posts

Back