Wizard announces Jeph Loeb and Joe Madureira on Ultimates 3

The art is fine it's just the STORY I want it to be the same ultimates team we all know and love or i'm not getting it!!!! :cry:

DIrishB said:
I think the "Ask a stupid question. get a stupid answer" thread had WAY more than that, and I'm sure that isn't a record either...
*bows*
i think it is. Me you and Guijllons had to have put at least 100 post each in that thread.

On topic: why no quicksilver and scarlet witch?

Last edited:
a fan said:
The art is fine it's just the STORY I want it to be the same ultimates team we all know and love or i'm not getting it!!!! :cry:
I can handle a different story, a different team. I would like a different Ultimates. Just as long as it isn't a general run of the mill superhero book.

And I have to say this about Manga inspired artwork. Anime is something western kids copy, they do it to draw like cartoons. What they don't do is see the world and interpret it their own way, some do it realistically like hitch, some use an energy like Immonen. I just do not see the point of copying a copy?

In Japan, Anime is different, it's a visual language, as is their own written language. The characters are used more like road signs than interpretations.

Western Anime is always going to be nothing more than a copy of a copy and totally misses the point of the Japanese way of doing things, and the western way of doing things.

I think MAD is arse.

Guijllons said:
I can handle a different story, a different team. I would like a different Ultimates. Just as long as it isn't a general run of the mill superhero book.

And I have to say this about Manga inspired artwork. Anime is something western kids copy, they do it to draw like cartoons. What they don't do is see the world and interpret it their own way, some do it realistically like hitch, some use an energy like Immonen. I just do not see the point of copying a copy?

In Japan, Anime is different, it's a visual language, as is their own written language. The characters are used more like road signs than interpretations.

Western Anime is always going to be nothing more than a copy of a copy and totally misses the point of the Japanese way of doing things, and the western way of doing things.

I think MAD is arse.

Huh? How do you know Mad hasn't done all the research into the Japanese visual language that you cite and had his style be developed that way?

You seem more against non-Japanese doing what you consider to be Japanese art, than the actual merit of the art itself.

Mad's art is very cartoony, but not very Manga-like. Mad has the ENERGY of a Manga comic, but not the artistic style and renderings. His worlds are drawn in a far more realisitcally exaggerated fashion like classic superheroes. He's not "Anime-inspiried" but rather an effective blend of both Anime/Manga AND classic Neal Adams style superheroes. This is why he isn't a copy - he is distinctive. But because we are so used to the classic exaggerated superhero we only notice the bizarre Manga influence, but his work successfully combines the two without copying either.

Anyone remember in Wizard when they said that in #5 Iron Man's armour would be stolen by China?

Well I read #5 again, and I'm pretty sure the Hulk isn't the Chinese government.

Sooooo... maybe Iron Man was replaced with Cap and China's gonna steal him. But more importantly, anything Loeb says here is subject...

... I dunno why I'm posting this, I think I already said this.

Eh.

a fan said:

??? I take it you tend to order the same thing everytime you go out to eat...and from the news in the recent Wzard, with the exception of Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and possibly Nick Fury, it WILL be the same team. And with the scheduled line-up of Ultimates 3, it'll be a lot closer to the original 616 Avengers (which may or may not be a bad thing).

Bass said:
Anyone remember in Wizard when they said that in #5 Iron Man's armour would be stolen by China?

Well I read #5 again, and I'm pretty sure the Hulk isn't the Chinese government.

Sooooo... maybe Iron Man was replaced with Cap and China's gonna steal him. But more importantly, anything Loeb says here is subject...

... I dunno why I'm posting this, I think I already said this.

Eh.

I think I've said this as well.

DIrishB said:
??? I take it you tend to order the same thing everytime you go out to eat...

I do that.

Bass said:
Huh? How do you know Mad hasn't done all the research into the Japanese visual language that you cite and had his style be developed that way?

You seem more against non-Japanese doing what you consider to be Japanese art, than the actual merit of the art itself.

Mad's art is very cartoony, but not very Manga-like. Mad has the ENERGY of a Manga comic, but not the artistic style and renderings. His worlds are drawn in a far more realisitcally exaggerated fashion like classic superheroes. He's not "Anime-inspiried" but rather an effective blend of both Anime/Manga AND classic Neal Adams style superheroes. This is why he isn't a copy - he is distinctive. But because we are so used to the classic exaggerated superhero we only notice the bizarre Manga influence, but his work successfully combines the two without copying either.

Nah.

The japanese have a culture of visual language, it cannot be easily emulated by reading a few comics.

Yeah he's manga inspired and cartoony, it's lazy and cheap.

Guijllons said:
Nah.

The japanese have a culture of visual language, it cannot be easily emulated by reading a few comics.

Yeah he's manga inspired and cartoony, it's lazy and cheap.
Its lazy and cheap? Because you don't like it? Mad's style is distincitve from Manga. His characters are more exaggerated, and if you take a piece of manga and compare it with Mad's there are differences.

And at the end of the day, if the popular belief was that Mad's art was cheap and lazy, I'm sure he wouldn't have a job at Marvel Comics.

GMaster said:
Its lazy and cheap? Because you don't like it? Mad's style is distincitve from Manga. His characters are more exaggerated, and if you take a piece of manga and compare it with Mad's there are differences.

And at the end of the day, if the popular belief was that Mad's art was cheap and lazy, I'm sure he wouldn't have a job at Marvel Comics.
Nah. It's not lazy and cheap because I don't like it.

Fuzzy Birds said:
I admit it sucked bad.

But recently I was looking over some old Uncanny X Men issues, and I really did like the stuff. Very stylised. If ou just avoid the overly garish, bright 90's colouring it should be alright.

I got those. I don't like the art of em.

Guijllons said:
Nah.

My point is, how do you know he only got what he knows about manga from reading a few comics? He has said he often spends a lot of time freeze framing manga films to study the movements. Is it not possible that he also studied the visual language as well?

You seem not to like him because you consider him a cheap and lazy copy of the Japanese culture, but my point is, you don't know if he's cheap and lazy or if he's a proper student.

In my opinion, he draws with incredible skill and refinement. The style you think he copies, that of the Japanese-inspired Westerner is something he pioneered. He didn't copy Japanese art, but blended it with the Western art focusing on a realisitic exaggeration of motion.

I still want to hate him though.

i don't like the artist. i think the style doesn't go well with the Ultimates.

as for loeb.... i'm not sure. i've liked some of his stuff, hated others. the main reason i like millar on this is because he knows where he wants to take the ultimates because he knows where he wants to take the ultimate universe as a whole

After reading the article a few days ago I changed my opinion:

1. I actually liked Madureira's sketches. I was apprehensive originally because all the art of his that I was seeing looked crappy, but I think his Ultimates sketches look much better. I'm definitely giving him a chance.

2. ...I'm also gonna give Loeb a chance. I've hated some of his stuff (I don't care what anyone says, Hush was a crappy vehicle for Jim Lee's art) but actually liked some of his other stuff (I thought The Long Halloween was pretty good. Not the best Batman story and in some ways a little unremarkable but not bad) so I'll just have to wait and see.

I'll decide whether they're gonna work when I get the issue.

*waits to be beaten up by Guij and Bass*

moonmaster said:
After reading the article a few days ago I changed my opinion:

1. I actually liked Madureira's sketches. I was apprehensive originally because all the art of his that I was seeing looked crappy, but I think his Ultimates sketches look much better. I'm definitely giving him a chance.

2. ...I'm also gonna give Loeb a chance. I've hated some of his stuff (I don't care what anyone says, Hush was a crappy vehicle for Jim Lee's art) but actually liked some of his other stuff (I thought The Long Halloween was pretty good. Not the best Batman story and in some ways a little unremarkable but not bad) so I'll just have to wait and see.

I'll decide whether they're gonna work when I get the issue.

*waits to be beaten up by Guij and Bass*

I'm with you on this. Hush was a crappy vehicle.

Still, I will definately give them a chance.

Latest posts

Back