Wizard announces Jeph Loeb and Joe Madureira on Ultimates 3

I don't think Quickie and Wand could possibly be traitors, but i think they may be out of Ultimates 3...i just hope they go back to X-men or something, i hate when characters go to the limbo...

I'm trying to hold off any reaction to the news of the team, because a) I'm not familiar with Loeb's work and b) I think a bad writer (assuming the worst) can make good stories. I was a little apprehensive about Joe Mad on art duty, but I think I agree with whomever said it a few pages back that I'm not sure I want a Hitch wannabe. I would prefer something more realistic, but based on those scans (thanks to everyone involved for posting those) it looks like it might not be too bad. The colorist could be the deal-breaker here.

Bass you have me freaked out with the Joe Mad delay/fall off the face of Earth stuff. Like we need more of that.

So...so far it *looks* OK. I'll pick up the Wizard in the next couple days here to see what's going on with Loeb.

Now that is nice. I knew the colours would make a big difference.

That splash of Cap throwing his shield is particularly striking.

My optimism factor on this one just went up a few notches. Ah who am I kidding? I'm hyped!

Fuzzy Birds said:
How can you say that without knowing what the style for Ultimates 3 actually is? Knowing that trying to replace Millar and Hitch with somebody similar would likely result in a poor imitation of their work, Marvel has chosen to go in a completely different tone and style for the series. Which I personally think is a wiser choice.
Very good point.

Too bad I hate Joe Madureira.

So Bass, if you hate Jeph Loeb, maybe we can team up and kick both their arses and subject them to the torture of Ogrimna the pagan demigoddess of six-breasted transexual hookers.

I am just hoping Hawkeye is alive and just quit due to injury or fear for the job, or even just to stay with his family... make him a reluctant reserve, don't kill him!

icemastertron said:
....Here they are:

UltimatesCaptainAmerica.gif

Captain America: "In any universe, he's Batman-cool," says Loeb. "He's the natural leader, but he's also a man out of time. There's an awful lot of something being held back in that man--and I want to be there when it snaps."

UltimatesThor.gif

Thor: "I love what Mark did here. Loki messing with everyone's head, the idea that the world thinks he's nuts, but we know he isn't. I don't think we've seen the extent of his power--and that is a truly frightning thing."

UltimatesHulk.jpg

Hulk: "Ah...well, he's going to be reckoned with, isn't he?" laughs Loeb. "The world think he's dead. He eats people. And he's naked most of the time. Mark is so wonderfully twisted! Big Hulk plans."

UltimatesIronMan.gif

Iron Man: "If Cap is Batman, in that emotionally cut-off way, then Tony is Superman--just out there with all his emotions. Because of what happened to my son, the brain tumor storyline will be very important, but not a downer."

UltimatesWasp.jpg

Wasp: "I like Jan when she's strong and out there, front and center. [Her life's] just ripe for her to make something of herself. I'm very senstive to battered-wife syndrome, and I'd like Jan to start making decisions that don't involve a man."

UltimatesGiantMan.gif

Giant Man: "I thought that solo issue with Hank Pym and the Defenders was the most depressing and wonderful story I've read all year," raves Loeb. "It was just so real. Hank's story is far from over."

UltimatesBlackWidow.jpg

Black Widow:
"How hot is she? I love the whole Tony thing. Another character who can really get revved up into a force to be reckoned with. More and more I see these characters just on this side of madness, this side of danger--and yet, still very heroic."

*Pictures thanks to DB's help.
Good stuff, Ice. Thanks. From what they said about the characters I'm not hating what's comin.

About the art. I might as well do the 180 like GMaster. It's not as Mangaish as it could be and it's pretty damn good.

Guijllons said:
Hmm, just saw the scans of MAD's Ultimates work.

Still don't like it.

Cheap.

What is wrong with you? Were you severly abused as a child? I'm not a fan of Mad's work either, but I DID like those sketches quite a bit. It seems just right, not too similar to Hitch's, not too different. And like I said, he seems to be toning down the Manga-influence of his previous work. His Hulk is awesome, much better than Lienel Yu's version anyway (from the upcoming Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine mini). Least in my opinion, and you are entitled to yours...but seriously, whats wrong with you? ;)

marvelman said:
I am just hoping Hawkeye is alive and just quit due to injury or fear for the job, or even just to stay with his family... make him a reluctant reserve, don't kill him!

His family is dead. Unless he plans on hanging out at the cemetary a lot, this would be kind of hard to do. Unless you meant it in some fruity spiritual sense. ;)

I agree though, I really hoped Hawkeye would've stayed a part of the team. He's one of my personal favorite Ultimate characters.

ourchair said:
Too bad I hate Joe Madureira.

As much as I want to... I can't. I really, really like his work.

That said, take the interview with a pinch of salt. Considering Loeb and Mad are on U3, they must know U2's climax pretty much and be talking to Hitllar. As a result, it's more than likely anything they say has been 'vetted' so as not to spoil U2. Hawkeye may be alive... or blinded. Hulk may still return. Loki may get resolved.

We'll see...

TheManWithoutFear said:
Good stuff, Ice. Thanks. From what they said about the characters I'm not hating what's comin.

About the art. I might as well do the 180 like GMaster. It's not as Mangaish as it could be and it's pretty damn good.

Exactly what I thought after seeing those sketches. I really like it, its a nice change from Hitch's style, without going too far. Really the only thing I'm still unsure about is Loeb's ability as a writer for this title, but I have faith (possibly misguided and unfounded, but its there) Volume 3 will at the very least be a fun read, especially with Mad's artwork.

Bass said:

That said, take the interview with a pinch of salt. Considering Loeb and Mad are on U3, they must know U2's climax pretty much and be talking to Hitllar. As a result, it's more than likely anything they say has been 'vetted' so as not to spoil U2. Hawkeye may be alive... or blinded. Hulk may still return. Loki may get resolved.

We'll see...
They do. Well, at least Loeb. He said he knows what happens which helped figure out how to continue on, and what not. They have talked to each other about it, and of course, Marvel, too.

Bass said:

We'll see...

Good points, Bass. I could live with Hawkeye dying, but it would be nice to see him stick around, however it might be kind of anti-climactic.

icemastertron said:
They do. Well, at least Loeb. He said he knows what happens which helped figure out how to continue on, and what not. They have talked to each other about it, and of course, Marvel, too.

Yeah, it would be difficult to continue the story without knowing what came before. Apparently only Card does that...

About all the Hawkeye being alive/dead posts,surprise,etc.........did the guy getting shot point blank in the head not give it away? :twisted:

Stop with the surprise.......please.....

Johnny Bravo said:
About all the Hawkeye being alive/dead posts,surprise,etc.........did the guy getting shot point blank in the head not give it away? :twisted:

Stop with the surprise.......please.....

Not unless super-fast Quicksilver came and saved him...exactly like he did for Cap at the beginning of that same issue. ;)

This is a question for E or Ice. As I am writing this, this thread has 195 replies. Is this a record for a discussion thread?

MaxwellSmart said:
This is a question for E or Ice. As I am writing this, this thread has 195 replies. Is this a record for a discussion thread?

I highly doubt it. If I had to guess I'd say that honor goes to Ultimates 2 #5.

UltimateE said:
I highly doubt it. If I had to guess I'd say that honor goes to Ultimates 2 #5.

That is, for an issue discussion. There have been many many other threads with more replies than that.

Anyway, back on topic...

Latest posts

Back