X-Men: Deadly Genesis (Discussion Spoilers)

#3 (Of 6)

So #3's backstory plus that cover proves that whoever said about a second team was correct. Xavier did have another team. These kids. And all died except the one that's alive now. Krakoa was years ago, before the new millenia, hence the guy going "21st century?!" in the first issue. They were all recruited as "kids", so that's why during the issue itself, Moira said "they were only kids".

This is getting better and better. I :heart: Brubaker. His take on the X-Men is the ****!! I can't wait to have him on Uncanny.

Poor Banshee. May he rest in peace. :cry:

yeah, that death was pretty unceremonious.

wolverine: oh, lookie who...

nightcrawler: oh, nein! well, let's get out of here.

that number 4 cover is super awesome, and pretty much affirms the 1.5 team theory. to be honest, i haven't been reading forums about this title, and when i read number 3 in the shop today, first thing i thought was "oh, there was a team before giant x-men 1, that actually makes perfect sense."

looking foward to it, just to see the fightening.

selfproclaimed said:
the 1.5 team version would also support the cover to issue #6...it seems they are paying homage to the team that died before them
Maybe.

And also, I'm thinking that the last guy to be revealed, may in fact be the third Summers brother. From what Havok saw from the 'ghosts', Xavier knows. And I'm wondering what exactly was the 'ghosts' dinosaurs that were chasing Bobby, and where.

I haven't been reading X-Men comics that long, but, near as I can tell, the working theory is, before the X-Men were formed, Xavier had a team of mutant children. These children had been students of Moira MacTaggert(this part fits nicely with the existing timeline). The team was seemingly killed on a mission to save the X-Men on Krakoa. It was believed the team consisting of Banshee, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm, Sunfire, and Wolverine were the only team sent, but the X-Men 1.5 had also been sent and died on the mission. After the death of the X-Men 1.5, Xavier erased the memories of the team from the X-Mens' minds. This went as far as to erase the memory of Scott and Alex's other brother from their minds.

Okay, as for the issue I liked it. I'm not totally against the idea of a third summers brother, but it could easily be done terribly. What I found interesting about the memory involving Xavier and Major Summers was Scott was already a student of Xavier, but Xavier wasn't supposed to know his father. This could be about Major Summer's coming back, after he was supposed to have died in a plane crash, as a member of the starjammers. I found the phrase, "You might give the original some competition, after all,"
interesting. I'm not sure what it might mean. The uncovering of this secret team is interesting, but I'm not sure how this will result in the discover of where Xavier's been hiding.

icemastertron said:
Maybe.

And also, I'm thinking that the last guy to be revealed, may in fact be the third Summers brother. From what Havok saw from the 'ghosts', Xavier knows. And I'm wondering what exactly was the 'ghosts' dinosaurs that were chasing Bobby, and where.

the strips of clothe hanging from the crosses match with those in the uniforms worn by the mystery team as seen on #4's cover

I read #3 today.

I haven't got the faintest idea what's going on. :(

UltimateE said:
I read #3 today.

I haven't got the faintest idea what's going on. :(
How could you not?! I figured it out with the backstory.

The kids being introduced in the backstory are the team that was sent before Xavier went and recruited Banshee, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Storm and Colossus. As soon as you read the ending of the issue, and the ending of the back issue, BOOM! There's your answer. The villain of the story, was one of them. We haven't seen his backstory yet. And of course, you can figure out why.

And that's why he didn't know Wolverine, but he knew Cyclops. Because Cykes never went to Krakoa with the orginial X-Men, he would know about this team. Remember it was said that some X-Men would know about this dark secret. And that's why in the first issue he was like, "the 21st century?!". Krakoa was before the new millenia for them.

icemastertron said:
How could you not?! I figured it out with the backstory.

The kids being introduced in the backstory are the team that was sent before Xavier went and recruited Banshee, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Storm and Colossus. As soon as you read the ending of the issue, and the ending of the back issue, BOOM! There's your answer. The villain of the story, was one of them. We haven't seen his backstory yet. And of course, you can figure out why.

And that's why he didn't know Wolverine, but he knew Cyclops. Because Cykes never went to Krakoa with the orginial X-Men, he would know about this team. Remember it was said that some X-Men would know about this dark secret. And that's why in the first issue he was like, "the 21st century?!". Krakoa was before the new millenia for them.

Dude...I don't read X-Men. And most of what I've read wasn't worth retaining.

I'm liking it so far, I'm liking the fact that Xavier is a bastard deep down inside and wiped some minds to cover up for his hideous failure.

i wasn't aware krakoa wasn't a pile of rocks. wasn't it all the rocks that vulcan/summers/badguy/god woke up from?

but yeah, it is fairly apparent that there was a 1.5 team. consisting of the badguy and the characters in the 2nd stories. i'd like this, but it's moving too slow, and they killed off banshee rather unceremoniously.

also, a major complaint is how Xavier is turning into Ult. Xavier, while Ult. Xavier isn't nearly as douche-y as Millar made him.

Giantsize1.jpg
Ya see...it's times like this that make me wish I had a decent comic book store within 5 miles of my casa. Are they referring to Giant Size X-Men that was written back in the 70's? If so, I'm buying the graphic novel from Barnes and Noble. I think Thunderbird died after only two issues, no?

This IS a spoiler! From Newsarama.

As you can see from the preview image, we'll be dealing with the Shi'ar Empire and the Starjammers, and with Vulcan - the 3rd Summers brother and villain of Deadly Genesis.

And I TOTALLY called it!!!

Though I doubt I was the only one.

Last edited:
#4 was pretty good. First issue that made a lick of sense.

#5 out last week - I can't believe no X-Nerds posted about it. :p

The big event here was (dun dun dun DUN!) the return of Charles Xavier, who is 1) walking and 2) not a mutant anymore (or at least is no longer a telepath). It was not explained where he has been.

There was other stuff, of course, but this was the most important.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back