Young Avengers/Runaways [Civil War] (speculation and spoilers)

Re: Runaways/Young Avenger [Civil War] (speculation and spoilers)

Victor Von Doom said:
Ok...this once possibly promising title has just gone into lame status just like the X-Men Civil War tie-in.

Let's see...
  • Have both teen teams do battle with massive confusion? Check
  • Eventually let the 2 leaders stand-off and call for a truce? Check
  • Insert lame opponent for both teams to fight together? Check

Seriously.....a second Super Skrull in Training captured by the govt and infused with maggot DNA??? Lame.

I'm not really liking the art either. The artist is drawing everyone too "buff". Maybe for Young Avengers that's fine.....but for Chase to be the same size as Patriot is just wrong and off in so many ways.

And I forget where this takes place in Runaways continuity but how lame is it that Maggot Skrull just comes outta nowhere and snaps Xavin's neck?

This book is just lame now.

1.75/5

It takes place after Dead Means Dead.

Apparently, the 'maggot skrull' is Marvel Boy making his return to 616.

I agree completely about the art- Nico and Karolina look like supermodels, with their increased bust size and all. I liked seeing that Chase still has a sense of humor, though.
I honestly hope nothing major happens in this cross-over, as I doubt it will be collected in digest format, and seeing as how the series is mostly supported by digest sales.

I have a horrible feeling that Marvel Boy will join the two groups. I'm positive that S.H.I.E.L.D will capture the groups during #3, though, before Marvel Boy can do much damage. In #4, Runaways and the YA will escape from the N-Zone prison that was designed to hold the most powerful superhumans on the planet.
I can see it now...two comparatively unexpierenced groups will escape from a Prison designed to hold half of the Avengers. All in time for the Runaways to get back to L.A. and the Young Avengers to get back and help Cap in Civil War #3.

i loved the art. the muted coloring was only ok, and you're right, the bodies are too perfect. but a.) karolina was always supposed to be smoking hot, and b.) the faces are so absurdly expressive that the artist is MEANT for a teen book. as for the going abouts, i like it so far.

Victor Von Doom said:
Ok...this once possibly promising title has just gone into lame status just like the X-Men Civil War tie-in.

Let's see...
  • Have both teen teams do battle with massive confusion? Check
  • Eventually let the 2 leaders stand-off and call for a truce? Check
  • Insert lame opponent for both teams to fight together? Check

Seriously.....a second Super Skrull in Training captured by the govt and infused with maggot DNA??? Lame.

I'm not really liking the art either. The artist is drawing everyone too "buff". Maybe for Young Avengers that's fine.....but for Chase to be the same size as Patriot is just wrong and off in so many ways.

And I forget where this takes place in Runaways continuity but how lame is it that Maggot Skrull just comes outta nowhere and snaps Xavin's neck?

This book is just lame now.

1.75/5
marvel boy is A) kree not a skrull and B) gene perfected with insect (beetles, grasshoppers, etc.) DNA not maggot DNA

and xavin is a skrull he'll regenerate

i actually liked this book nice to see marvel boy show up again i liked the mini by morrison

4/5

So was there any explanation as to why Vision and Victor were fusing together?

TheManWithoutFear said:
It was like Vision was drawn to him because of similar programming. Chase put it together after Ultron was mentioned.

So what, they're pretty much distant relatives if Ultron had a say in it?

I liked this issue, kind of. Does every crossover have to start with the heroes attacking each other for no reason only to realize they should be working together? Seriously is it a Marvel mandate? And I thought they went overboard villainizing SHIELD. Aside from that I liked the rest of it. Pretty good dialouge and Tommy's interaction with Molly was funny.

McCheese said:
I liked this issue, kind of. Does every crossover have to start with the heroes attacking each other for no reason only to realize they should be working together? Seriously is it a Marvel mandate? And I thought they went overboard villainizing SHIELD. Aside from that I liked the rest of it. Pretty good dialouge and Tommy's interaction with Molly was funny.

Well, SHIELD is pretty corrupt now and the President has it out for the Super Hero Community. He specifically hired Hill because she wasn't a Fury loyalist and so he could have some control over SHIELD. That's why he wouldn't listen to Cable's requests. So, yeah, even HYDRA recognizes that SHIELD is corrupt without Fury. Also the whole vibranium stealing from the Savage Land is a big clue in that direction.

Hibiki said:
Well, SHIELD is pretty corrupt now and the President has it out for the Super Hero Community. He specifically hired Hill because she wasn't a Fury loyalist and so he could have some control over SHIELD. That's why he wouldn't listen to Cable's requests. So, yeah, even HYDRA recognizes that SHIELD is corrupt without Fury. Also the whole vibranium stealing from the Savage Land is a big clue in that direction.
Yeah I know. I just felt it went way overboard with this program, which from what the doctor said I assume predates this administration or at the very least was around when Fury was.

McCheese said:
I don't think it's gonna end the same way any typcial "team-up" would start. The runaways seem to hate these guys. It's perfect.

Hibiki said:
So what, they're pretty much distant relatives if Ultron had a say in it?

Not exactly distant, you could pretty much call Vic and Vision brothers, as they were both created directly by Ultron.

The title of this topic disturbs me. Not only are the names of the teams in the opposite order than in the issue covers, it should be Young Avengers, not Young Avenger.

Last edited:

Great issue. I never notcied the major simlarties between the teams.

vintsukka said:
The title of this topic disturbs me. Not only are the names of the teams in the opposite order than in the issue covers, it should be Young Avengers, not Young Avenger.
Yeah, I already pointed that out on page 3 in this thread but nobody cares enough to change it :)

thee great one said:
Great issue. I never notcied the major simlarties between the teams.

I did... and I still can't help but feel that Young Avengers is a complete ripoff of Runaways... :?

ProjectX2 said:
I did... and I still can't help but feel that Young Avengers is a complete ripoff of Runaways... :?
That feeling is what kept me from enjoying Young Avengers...

ProjectX2 said:

I don't think that it's a ripoff of Runaways. I mean there's similarities between it and every other teen comic....but I always saw Runaways as unique from the genre.

Still---I'm not really enjoying this mini because it just seems forced....moreso than other team-ups. It's about as forced as Black Panther and Storm getting married.

The fact that this team-up doesn't involve anyone from the original respective creative teams only hinders this title. The writer can't quite capture the characters properly and the art isn't horrible per se...but it's just wrong.

Latest posts

Back