Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. discussion (spoilers)

According to these links AoS Season 3 is getting a physical DVD release:

http://www.tvdvdmovie.com/Marvels-Agents-Of-SHIELD-Season-3-DVD-Boxset-13662.php

http://www.dvdcomingsoon.com/Marvel-s-Agents-Of-SHIELD-Season-3-DVD-11334.html

I do know they've been doing Amazon exclusive releases for some of them, so perhaps it's same thing here?

While I agree most studios are pushing digital versions instead of physical copies (since it saves the studios and distributors huge amounts of money since there's no physical product to produce, only data to be uploaded over Internet for digital), I think the MCU related stuff are reliably good sellers. Likely even the TV shows.

I know Daredevil Season 1 is finally coming to DVD. Presumably, there is a delay with the Netflix shows to allow a period of exclusive availability on Netflix itself, and any DVD profits are split between Marvel Studios and Netflix.

I'd be surprised if they didn't get official physical DVD releases eventually.

The transformation scene was epic. I'm a little upset because it's clear they're not keeping Robbie's very unique origin story that sets him apart and makes him not be an actual Ghost Rider. Still, I got very excited to see Gabe and it looks like Robbie's been possessed for a while. Whoever does the CGI for the show is really good, like REALLY good. I loved that direct from the comics car flip and look forward to more mayhem. Spooky ghosts are here to stay. The guy playing Robbie named dropped Mephisto, not sure if that will happen, but man that'd be awesome.

Having said that, the highlight of the episode for me was the LMD stuff. I feel like that is going to be a slow burn and should hopefully have a good payoff. Fitz's reaction was perfect and the woman playing the LMD was giving off a perfect Uncanny Valley vibe and I was really uncomfortable whenever she was on screen. Her saying she can't kill means she will definitely kill at some point. I'm a little surprised anyone would try to create AI after Ultron, but who knows, maybe we'll get a better TV Ultron like we did with Red Skull last season.

I predict Ward will return, whether that is through supernatural means or as an LMD. I don't know which would be better, Ward escaping from Hell or the team being forced to work with a Ward LMD. Maybe I'm just being optimistic that my favorite part of the show returns.

Yay, a new season! They really like to start the seasons off with "everything is different and most of it sucks."

It was weird to have the show be a bit more on the "mature audiences" side. The violence, though it was mostly offscreen, was more intense than usual. Gratuitous underwear opening scene was gratuitous.

I'm looking forward to finding out more about Ghost Rider. They did a good job of making him look like the stylized art from the comics and yet mostly realistic.

I thought it was interesting that he gleefully killed the guy who said "I don't deserve to die" but spared Daisy when she told him, "Do it. I deserve it."

The guy playing Robbie named dropped Mephisto, not sure if that will happen, but man that'd be awesome.

He did? In the episode or in an interview?

Interview.

What we [The MCU] haven't touched on are things that can't be explained perfectly by science. It's a lot of really fun stuff that starts to lean into the world of Doctor Strange, Ghost Rider and Mephisto, and all of these other elements that also exist there, like ghouls and goblins and all sorts of cool things. We're happy to be the ones to break the ice on that."

The director is an inhuman. I didn't see that coming. I wonder if they will ever mention that SHIELD is around again in the movies.

So the ghosts and ghost rider are connected. I wonder if the 'he' that the ghosts were taking about is Robbie's uncle.

Last edited:
The director is an inhuman. I didn't see that coming. I wonder if they will ever mention that SHIELD is around again in the movies.

So the ghosts and ghost rider are connected. I wonder if the 'he' that the ghostsv were taking about is Robbie's uncle.

He's actually a character from the comics, but Patriot didn't have powers in the comics and replaced Captain America when he was frozen.

That's what I thought too. They were probably all part of a cult to summon Cthon to Earth using the Darkhold

So the new episode had a Quentin Carnival poster. Quentin Carnival is where Johnny Blaze would preform. In the comics Johnny Blaze shows up and fights Robbie. Afterwards they team up, be cool if that happened here.

EDIT: Looks like there was more that I missed. a leather jacket and motorcycle
lozSu4n.jpg

Last edited:
So the new episode had a Quentin Carnival poster. Quentin Carnival is where Johnny Blaze would preform. In the comics Johnny Blaze shows up and fights Robbie. Afterwards they team up, be cool if that happened here.

EDIT: Looks like there was more that I missed. a leather jacket and motorcycle

There's also a stars and stripes motorcycle helmet. Did Blaze ever wear that?

And they say it's "the family home of the guy who killed the last person who had it" (it being the Darkhold). Could that tie into something?

Last edited:
There's also a stars and stripes motorcycle helmet. Did Blaze ever wear that?

And they say it's "the family home of the guy who killed the last person who had it" (it being the Darkhold). Could that tie into something?

I missed the helmet, but that sounds like something a stunt rider would wear which is his origin story. Stunt rider, mother runs away, dad dies, gets "adopted" by this guy Crash and falls in love with Crash's daughter (I don't remember her name), Crash has cancer, Johnny made a deal with Mephisto, Crash dies during a...crash, and Johnny and what's-her-face's love causes Mephisto to leave before getting his soul. In retaliation Mephisto bonds him with the demon Zarathos and the Ghost Rider is born.

I'd think it's safe to say that they just stole Darkhold from Johnny Blaze. Assuming he's still alive he'll probably want that back.

Wow... tonight's episode was just packed with awesome.

First, we got the Robbie/Ghost Rider origin tale with a nice big surprise: introduction of Johnny Blaze as the first Rider who passed the Spirit to Robbie, apparently. Quite sure that'll be picked up likely in latter half of season once they cast the role.

Also a nice big twist regarding Eli. Not surprising for those who read the comic run they're basing this story on, but they did a decent job of making viewers think they'd changed it up when it appears they didn't after all.

This is easily the best season of AoS yet, only six episode in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think they'll cast Johnny Blaze? That would be awesome, but it would either mean they have no plans for Ghost Rider in Netflix or they will recast him or they will crossover. The third option would be pretty cool, and I don't see why not, but it doesn't seem to be something ABC and Netflix has been interested in so far.

Do you think they'll cast Johnny Blaze? That would be awesome, but it would either mean they have no plans for Ghost Rider in Netflix or they will recast him or they will crossover. The third option would be pretty cool, and I don't see why not, but it doesn't seem to be something ABC and Netflix has been interested in so far.

I'm hoping it means that a Johnny Netflix show is coming. I remember the rumor being Ghost Rider, Punisher, Blade, and Moon Knight

Last edited:
Yeah, that seems more likely. The cameo in AOS will lead into an upcoming Netflix show.

Also, I appreciated the Agent Carter nod with Isodine and zero matter/darkforce.

The rights issues may make translating Ghost Rider from the ABC Agents of SHIELD to Netflix difficult. ABC still owns/retains those TV rights for Robbie Reyes/Ghost Rider and now apparently Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider.

It's unlikely they'll transfer the character to Netflix. Possible, but unlikely, especially as AoS itself will likely end this year (due to usually ratings drop). I have a feeling ABC are treating Season 4 as a partial Ghost Rider pilot episode, to possibly bring to life in his own show on ABC. Now, I know ABC isn't ideal (Netflix would be preferable given the subject matter), however, ABC are also testing waters with the later timeslot and adding more violence as a result, so they could pull it off on the network itself by retaining the current tone used on AoS in those scenes involving Robbie. But yeah, the Netflix, ABC shows, and films are all kept in their individual corners of the world for a reason, mainly due to character rights issues. Yes, Marvel owns those character rights, but they still license those character rights out to various networks for the TV stuff, and there are still legal rights issues that'd have to be solved/agreed to to allow Ghost Rider to get his own Netflix show now that he's been introduced on an ABC show. Possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I don't know. I doubt we'll see it on Netflix anytime soon. Well, we know they won't anytime soon as they're focused on the Defenders related characters and Punisher for next several years. Meanwhile ABC has a likely Marvel-related hole in their schedule if AoS isn't renewed.

Oh man, I hope not. Have the ratings been bad? I would have thought this season would be doing better.

Not bad, though they have continually dropped (which is common for vast majority of shows that last multiple seasons). It still brings in respectable viewership numbers, just not sure the high production cost per episode will be justified by ABC if the ratings continue to drop below a certain point.

The reviews of this season are quite good, but the viewership hasn't drastically increased as result of Ghost Rider's intro beyond the Season 4 premiere episode.

It probably won't end this year, don't worry. I have a feeling the showrunners will at least be able to get a Season 5 so they can achieve the episode number needed for syndication (which benefits ABC as well since they get largest cut of any syndication profits). It'd probably be worth them investing in a fifth season to hit the necessary 100 episodes (even if they only do a half season to get there) as it makes the show profitable beyond just its original airing run, and as an aspect of the highly popular MCU it'd be a smart move.

I really liked how when Aida made that transdimensional portal, the portal and the dimension Coulson was being pulled into looked vaguely Dr. Strange-esque.

Annndd... the Darkhold apparently taught Aida how to build herself a brain, which, I'm guessing means she is going to be sentient soon.

Latest posts

Back