Astonishing X-Men discussion (spoilers)

Well, I think I'm wrong... :) However, that may be the way that Whedon is going... To show that Kitty is no longer a child, as she says she is.

Has anyone gotten the new issue?

Other than the brief explanation as to what's been going on with Colossus, I think that this was another GREAT issue by Whedon. And, see, I told you SHIELD would have more to do with it than you guys wanted to admit! What'd you all think?

And, see, I told you SHIELD would have more to do with it than you guys wanted to admit!

What are you talking about? I was agreeing with ya GW! But the issue was awesome!! Loved the look on Beast, Emma, and Logan when they saw Colossus! And when Colossus was beating the snot out of Ord, that was HOT!!!! :D

I'm actually thinking that Ord and SHIELD had something to do with the Legacy Virus. Maybe this was their first attempt at whiping out the mutants? It would make complete sense and it would turn up some interesting questions for SHIELD and the X-Men's relationships.

And he is a Cable clone, I know. But he could be part of the alien race that planted the technology for Apocolypse and ultimately giving him what he needed to make the Legacy Virus. Could still work, you see?

Okay, the issue is great, the writing is great, the drawing is great, but that fact that Colossus is back, pissed me off. He died and he should have stayed dead. But besides that great issue

Astonishing X-Men #4 "Gifted" (Part 4 of 6)

Written by: Joss Whedon
Pencils and cover by: John Cassaday

Joss Whedon is doing a great job so far in writing Astonishing X-Men. He gave a great false lead with the cliffhanger in issue #3. So far he is proving that he can write an X-book (The best so far in the 616 verse in my opinion). Its not easy to write a good cliffhanger and make a plot twist fit into it. But Whedon has done it, and makes it look easy.

It was great how he still did not spoil the truth until it came along. No where from where he ended issue #3 to near the end of issue #4 did he reveal the true mutant being worked on by Benetech. The way that Whedon writes is perfevt for stories like these because nothing is revealed until the moment it should be. And thats very good due to the suspense nd hyp it puts on people. It was great for Whedon to bring Colossus back. No where was that expected. Again, the false lead he gave helped a lot to push Colossus out of people's minds.

Now, the art done by John Cassaday was just off the scale. He draws the X-Men better than a lot off artits out there. He is up there in the ranks with Jim Lee. He draws on of the best Colossus I have ever seen.

Whedon and Cassaday are a great team who produce one of the best X-Men book. Hopefully, they are kept on the book to give us more surprises.

Story: 10/10
Art: 10/10

Final rating: 10/10

Added: Monday, September 06, 2004
Reviewer: icemastertron
Score: 5 Stars

I dont' think that SH.I.E.L.D. was somehow involved with the Legacy Virus. But as we saw in the end of issue #5 that they do seem to be somehow involved with this so called "Hope" cure.

I saw previews for issue #6 (I think it was on Newsarama, not sure) and one of the panels or pages is the same thing as the cover. Cyclops looking over his shoulder.

Cassaday did this before with the first issue. The cover (original cover) was with Wolverines hand and claws extending. Inside there was a panel with the same drawing, except that the hand is the other way around. I think on the cover the hand was his right hand, and inside was hi left.

Oh man, I sorry for telling you this now, but like I said, it is on the newsarama site. By the time you asked the question, it was put in the archives of their news. But the title of the article, I'm not sure.

But it looks like issue I might not get issue #6 next week. The guy from the comic store I go to got what he's recieving next week from Diamond, and Astonishing X-Men #6 wasn't on the list.

Hey guys, I saw the cover to issue #6 (which was obviously delayed to 11/3/04) and one the cover is Colossus and Kitty holding each other. So it's not Cyclops looking over each other or whatever.

Yes, the cover is up and it looks great... If you'll notice, though, Kitty is phasing through our favorite Russian hero (Mine, anyway). Do you think that this means anything about Colossus at all?

Spoilers

Well, well, I got the last issue of Whedon's first arc... What a great issue! I really enjoyed this one. The team dynamic just rolls with every line any of them say and they pick back up right where they left off with Colossus. Really great stuff.

The story was a good one, too. I really liked how the mutant deal is still a huge thing with the government and all after Morrison's run. Astonishing seems to be the only title that hasn't forgotten that Morrison had a run, which I appreciate a lot. SHIELD seems to be somewhat rivals with the X-Men now, but I guess we'll wait and see.

Ord, when it came down to it, was a villain that I would want to see come around again. He's got an interesting edge to him that I just would love to see more of. Next time, though, let's see more of this Breakworld that Whedon sort of played up... I'd love to know more about them if they didn't have a past in the 616 universe before.

And, Ice, please read the last page of this issue... I really hate to say I told you so, but I really, REALLY have to. I knew that Emma would be jumping on the baddy bandwagon again! I knew it!

What are you talking about to please read the last page GW? I read everything. Once I read it, I was like, "Oh great. Another comic where we have someone to talking to an unknown person!". It was UXM deja vu! lol

And no, the Breakworld didn't have a past in the 616. Whedon made all that up, and it was pretty damn good!

Last edited:
Well, I wanted to make sure you read that page with more meaning than you would have, had I not said anything to you! I had been predicting Emma's involvment with the villains once again and you said, "Oh, no," You said, "She USED to be a villain, but she's loyal now." BAH.

Latest posts

Back