Batman/Detective Comics Series Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: Batman Series Discussion *Spoilers*

I thought it was someone trying to frame Harvey Dent and/or Two-Face. For what reason, I don't know.

I find this image disturbing....

duo.jpg

Even Robin is getting on the action.

Sweet.

We can talk about the Morrison/Kubert run here.

I read the first issue today. Like I'm sure you all know, I wasn't really looking forward to this, and I thought Detective Comics was better. I was correct.

It starts off with Gordon falling off a building, laughing insanely. He's been poisoned by The Joker. Cut to The Joker thinking he's killed Batman, and then Batman grabs the gun and shoots The Joker in the head... someone tells Batman that he's not dead, and Batman chucks The Joker in a rubbish bin.

Alfred tells Bruce that he needs to relearn how to be Bruce, and they talk about how Tim is going into the mountains, etc. Bruce goes to a party and runs into Dr. Langstrom, who rushes out. He meets with some secret League of Assassins people who ask him if he got it.

Bruce is out at a party, talking to woman, (Alfred reads Artemis Fowl - cool!), and is secretly being monitored. It cuts to a page with a woman and a boy watching Bruce on the screen, with many Ninja Man-Bats above them. The boy states that Bruce is his father.

It was alright I suppose. I still don't like Kubert's art that much, and the storytelling was kind of dull. Batman took up a gun... something he swore he'd never do. :?

Detective Comics was better.

that wasn't batman. that was a cop dressed as batman. this issue can be summarized by Jim Gordon:

"Everybody needs to lighten up."

50's Batman done right. Never liked Kubert. B+/A-

iceman said:
that wasn't batman. that was a cop dressed as batman.

Ah, now I get it. I was wondering what they were talking about.

I might have to reread it again.

ProjectX2 said:
Ah, now I get it. I was wondering what they were talking about.

I might have to reread it again.

Yeah. Some nutter ex-cop pretends to be Batman. It's kind of brilliant, really. The guy naturally gets easily disarmed by the Joker because, well, he's not Batman. But he manages to kill Joker because he does the one thing Joker would never expect: He pulls a gun out. My interest is piqued. Killing off the Joker is an innumerably huge thing to do, but Morrison's totally non-chalant about it. He kills the Joker off as the opening to a story with almost no fanfare.

And I actually dig the art.... I thought it was very cool. The group of disabled kids dangling from the Jokercopter was hilarious.

Last edited:

Random said:
:shifty: wait... the Joker's dead?

Yes. A cop disguised as Batman shot him point blank in the face.

On second thought... He's still alive when he gets thrown in the dumpster...

Last edited:

I wasn't exactly impressed with this.....but then again it's only one issue into Morrison's arc so I shouldn't jump the gun.

But a few problems:
  • Why did Morrison decide to shoot the Joker in the face? I mean it's long overdue.....but why the gimmick? He's better than that.
  • What's up with this "learning to be Bruce Wayne again"? Isn't that what he wa supposed to do during his year off? They couldn't have been training the entire time?
  • Ninja bats? Are you serious?

Victor Von Doom said:
I wasn't exactly impressed with this.....but then again it's only one issue into Morrison's arc so I shouldn't jump the gun.

But a few problems:
  • Why did Morrison decide to shoot the Joker in the face? I mean it's long overdue.....but why the gimmick? He's better than that.
  • What's up with this "learning to be Bruce Wayne again"? Isn't that what he wa supposed to do during his year off? They couldn't have been training the entire time?
  • Ninja bats? Are you serious?

It's not like he's dead, that cop really doesn't know how to shoot.
Training his fighting skills, not his social ones.
Ninja bats are cool. :D

Victor Von Doom said:

You sure? He killed 16 million mutants in his first issue of X-Men.

A few pointers to reading Morrison on a regular monthly.

1. Take nothing at face value. Things are NOT what they seem.

2. Things really are that over the top. This is the silver age of comics seen through a haze of LSD.

3. EVERYTHING will connect. Everything.

4. Always re-read each issue. You did miss things. When a new issue comes out, re-read previous ones after. There are things you missed that you didn't even know to look for.

Baxter said:
A few pointers to reading Morrison on a regular monthly.

1. Take nothing at face value. Things are NOT what they seem.

2. Things really are that over the top. This is the silver age of comics seen through a haze of LSD.

3. EVERYTHING will connect. Everything.

4. Always re-read each issue. You did miss things. When a new issue comes out, re-read previous ones after. There are things you missed that you didn't even know to look for.

Great tips; I agree with every point. And #4 can't be stressed enough.

E said:
You sure? He killed 16 million mutants in his first issue of X-Men.

Well yeah. I'm sure, as Bax says, this will all connect. But as of right now it just seems gimmicky. I'm sure several issues from now something important will come of this and I'll be like "OH SNAP!!!! HE'S A GENIUS!!!!!".

But right now it just seems gimmicky. And ninja bats. Say that out loud---NINJA BATS. Point proven.

Victor Von Doom said:
Well yeah. I'm sure, as Bax says, this will all connect. But as of right now it just seems gimmicky. I'm sure several issues from now something important will come of this and I'll be like "OH SNAP!!!! HE'S A GENIUS!!!!!".

But right now it just seems gimmicky. And ninja bats. Say that out loud---NINJA BATS. Point proven.
So wait are they bats that act like ninjas or ninjas that act like bats?

Random said:
So wait are they bats that act like ninjas or ninjas that act like bats?

Ninjas that are bats.

Ninja-were-bats gentlemen. Ninja-were-bats. The were makes all the diffrence.

First off, any man who thinks badly of an army of ninja man-bats isn't really a man at all.

That said, I don't think it was a gimmicky move on Morrison's part. In fact, it was the exact opposite.

Any other writer would have been pimping "The Death of Joker" a year in advance. We'd have a company-wide crossover dealing with it, an eight-part story arc before the actual death, alternate chrome covers, and tie-in biography and origin stories, as well as reprints of every important Joker story ever.

Morrison devotes five pages to it. Personally, I prefer how it was done. It had to be done, and Morrison did it with panache but without turning it into a gimmick hype machine. Hell, we don't even know if he's dead, but Morrison's set the plate well for a fresh Joker/Batman dynamic, without any excess fat...

He's already said we'll see Joker in his fifth issue. We'll see if it's a twist on the old favorite, or someone new to fill the void. I'm psyched.

no, we know that he is NOT dead. batmeng was carrying him to the cops all distressed because he thought he was dead, when he learned that he wasn't, he figured he'd live because he's the friggin' joker, he angrily threw him in the dumpster.

morrison is over the top, he's not an idiot. he's not going to kill the joker.

and ninja-bats fit the theme of SEXY RIDICULOUS!

Latest posts

Back