Batman/Superman news and rumors

I can't say I agree with casting Eisenberg but Irons is a great choice.

That said, I can definitely see Eisenberg playing the young, wunderkind Luthor who isn't so much a possible physical threat to Superman but the kind of snobby genius akin to his portrayal in Red Son.

They're re-writing the movie again and after they began shooting scenes.

So? I see it like this. Noting the success of Avengers and MoS, WB rushed a new movie into production. They attached Nolan as an executive producer, despite the fact that his title would likely just be nominal and they had their superhero writing machine crank out a hurried script and jumped right into production.

Then they took a step back and realized they were being a bit hasty. They attached executive producers who might actually be invested. They brought in a critically acclaimed screenwriter who has experience with one of their big stars to comb over the script, establishing a script that might allow for the Argo team to be more invested in the franchise long-term (and god knows Goyer can use some co-writers). They pushed back the release date and are presumably willing to scrap footage that's already been shot for the sake of a more polished movie. This shows to me a willingness to take some financial hits for the sake of getting the movie right.

The presence of Snyder and Goyer still worries me a bit, but I don't think these production changes are a bad indication at all. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if the change in direction has something to do with Affleck's presence. The guy already has a superhero bomb under his belt, and is clearly passionate about comics, so I could see him being gun-shy about making sure this project actually hits the mark; and the possibility of him directing a JL movie in the future certainly seems like a tantalizing enough trump card to allow him to stage a coup for more creative control in this movie. Terrio and Affleck is a more exciting prospect to me than Goyer and a bored Nolan.

Last edited:
This late in the game?

Aren't they still in the scriptwriting phase?

They announced a direction and then changed it. Once they announced the direction they were going in then yes - it's late in the game to be making drastic changes like that. Whether the new people involved are more suited for the jobs or better or whatever...that isn't the point. They look like chickens running around with their heads chopped off with no idea what they are doing or how they want to do it. Almost everything they've done thus far smells of desperation and ill-preparedness.

What do you mean, "so?"? I wasn't complaining or anything. I just answered your question. :?

Haha. Sorry. I was just using your comment to piggyback off E's criticism.

;) Sorry I used you.

They announced a direction and then changed it. Once they announced the direction they were going in then yes - it's late in the game to be making drastic changes like that. Whether the new people involved are more suited for the jobs or better or whatever...that isn't the point. They look like chickens running around with their heads chopped off with no idea what they are doing or how they want to do it. Almost everything they've done thus far smells of desperation and ill-preparedness.

Nah. Trying to rush the movie out of the gate to catch up to Marvel stank of desperation. Taking a step back and taking the time to reconsider their plan is sensible.

I agree with Zombi in this case. Them holding off almost a year allows them to improve the script, as well as also realistically planning/plotting a Justice League movie for 2017 (since that seems pretty likely).

I'm sure it'll result in a better film in the end.

I kind of feel like everyone's right. The fact that they did push it back a year, start rewriting the script, and change the producers AFTER they had already started shooting shows that they rushed into this without really thinking it through. But the fact that they are now doing it also shows that cooler heads have prevailed and they are trying to back up and do this well.

I think Ben Affleck signed on and then saw what was going on and said, "Get your act together or I'm out." And they listened.

I kind of feel like everyone's right. The fact that they did push it back a year, start rewriting the script, and change the producers AFTER they had already started shooting shows that they rushed into this without really thinking it through. But the fact that they are now doing it also shows that cooler heads have prevailed and they are trying to back up and do this well. I think Ben Affleck signed on and then saw what was going on and said, "Get your act together or I'm out." And they listened.

Agreed. DC/WB realizes if they want to compete with Marvel Studios they need to take the films seriously. Especially in the aspect of world building.

I'd be quite surprised if Batman/Superman doesn't result in a decent film.

I think Ben Affleck signed on and then saw what was going on and said, "Get your act together or I'm out." And they listened.

I'm inclined to agree. He's worked too hard to legitimize his acting and directing cred over these past few years to let it all go waste with doing a rushed-job blockbuster that puts him back in Daredevil/Gigli territory.

Nah. Trying to rush the movie out of the gate to catch up to Marvel stank of desperation. Taking a step back and taking the time to reconsider their plan is sensible.

Right, there's nothing wrong with reassessing what they are doing, but that's why you don't come running out of the gate and revealing all of these plans. Get everything situated, then release the info. It makes them look bad.

Right, there's nothing wrong with reassessing what they are doing, but that's why you don't come running out of the gate and revealing all of these plans. Get everything situated, then release the info. It makes them look bad.

I agree, but them doing that reassessing and fixing things also makes them seem to have become aware of the mistake created by rushing it out.

As has been said, I think Affleck was probably the largest catalyst in getting all the changes made, from the new scriptwriter to changing things around in the film itself to result in a better overall movie and NOT have if reek of a rush-job.

and NOT have if reek of a rush-job.

Instead it looks like they are scrambling, can't stand by their decisions, and don't know what they are doing.

I don't disagree with you, but I don't think not looking like a rush job is better than maybe not having the perfect people (in their eyes) in place.

Instead it looks like they are scrambling, can't stand by their decisions, and don't know what they are doing.

I don't disagree with you, but I don't think not looking like a rush job is better than maybe not having the perfect people (in their eyes) in place.

I get what you're saying and I initially felt the same way when I first heard of the almost year long delay.

But I will say a lot of my apprehension was sated by the announcement of Terrio coming on to rewrite/rework the script.

1511907_496279917185744_1432334814_n.jpg

Hilariously, the forum ad I see right next to that strip is for ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK.

Last edited:
Shouldn't the answer be "Well we saw Avengers make $1.5 billion, so we thought:

'Hey! Let's put Batman in the Man of Steel sequel!'

And then we threw Wonder Woman in too, for the feminazis."

No the answer was basically, "Someone asked, 'hey who should Superman fight in the next movie?' And I was all like, 'How about Batman?' And they were like, 'Oh, okay.'"

Latest posts

Back